Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Live in Whangarei or work at Selwyn Park?

Live in Whangarei or work at Selwyn Park?

Old May 22nd 2009, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

bmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nice
Talking Live in Whangarei or work at Selwyn Park?

Hi everyone. My partner and I have job offers in Whangarei and plan to emigrate end of June.
If anyone lives in or around Whangarei ,or works at Selwyn Park, I would be grateful if you could tell us a bit about either, as we have never been to NZ, or just say hello.
Can anyone recommend a decent cheap B&B we could
stay in for a few days when we first arriv9e.
Also, can anyone advise what documents we need to have with us at airport when we arrive (sorry for the waffling e-mail!)
Thanks, in anticipation of any replies.
Old May 25th 2009, 12:01 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Live in Whangarei or work at Selwyn Park?

I can't help with this at all, but I'll bump the thread.
Old May 25th 2009, 5:08 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

hello, I can't really help either I live about an hour north of Whangarei, but don't really know anything about the motels or b&'s there. I can look in the yellow pages for you and get some names??
Another plan may be to have a look on bookabach.co.nz - as it's winter then there may be some special offers around for a few days stay and as they're holiday houses they're all furnished so would give you more freedom than a B&B and can actually be really cheap.
If you see any you fancy, if I know where they are I can try to tell you if it's nice or how far away from the centre of Whangarei they are.

Do you have PR or anything? We had PR when we arrived and just had our passports with the blue stickers in them, that was all we needed.
Old May 25th 2009, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

i cant help in that i dont stay there, but this is the site that i used for when we first arrived in NP.We got a months let from here to do us while we looked around for a suitable rental. some of them are payable daily and others weekly, we were lucky and got one for 350 a week inc all power, internet and sky. any way have a look there seems to be loads in the area you looking for

all we needed was our passports when arrivinig with the blue sticker( we were on WTR visas at first)

http://accommodation.holidayhouses.c...Holiday%20Home

good luck

caroline
Old May 25th 2009, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

DTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really nice

Life in Whangarei.........well here it goes.....

It is often stereotyped as a relaxed, laid-back and easygoing kind of a place and it is certainly living up to the reputation rather well. It has amenities you'd expect of a decent sized town. A good hospital, sports clubs, bars, restaurants etc.

The weather is sub-tropical. It is one of the warmer parts of New Zealand but it can get quite wet in winter.........well maybe I should say VERY wet. The city is surrounded by hills (some bigger than others) and the suburbs sort of stretch out into these hills. In some places you'll be quite close to nature.

A fab feature is the marine environment. The harbour and sea nearby are really Whangarei's "playground". Many people own small boats & fishing is incredibly popular (as are lots of other outdoor activities).

You can knock off work & get to a good, uncrowded beach really quickly, or go hunting, kayaking, diving etc.....Socially there's a lot to do, especially sports.

Nearby there's the Whangarei Heads, beautiful bays and inlets & a spectacular surf beach that's never crowded (even when its raining in town the heads always seem to have sunshine).There's also the Ngunguru Coast, (Matapouri Beach ) which is also very beautiful & of course the Bay of Islands are only 45 minutes away.

You may not get rich on a career path in Whangarei( although things are changing) but you should have a great life, especially if the outdoors is your thing & it's a great place for kids. The people are laidback & very friendly.

All the best on your move.....any more questions on areas in Whangarei etc....just post away
Old May 25th 2009, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

kepow has a brilliant futurekepow has a brilliant futurekepow has a brilliant futurekepow has a brilliant futurekepow has a brilliant futurekepow has a brilliant future

whangarei is great, and only 2 hours from Auckland if you want a taste of the city.

Dont forget to mention the fab veggie market on Saturday mornings.