Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Live music in New Zealand

Live music in New Zealand

Old Aug 28th 2005, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

SteveDK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Live music in New Zealand

Is there any? If so, what kind? Especially interested in the rock scene in the Canterbury area, but any and all comments welcome!
Old Aug 28th 2005, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Live music in New Zealand

Sorry, very little !!!
In the UK we had access to the Arena in Newcastle and saw some one at least every couple of months. In the last 2 years in NZ, Rob saw Bowie in Wellington and my highlight {not really musical}, ...... Billy Connolly !!

Check out http://premier.ticketek.co.nz/
for what is coming to NZ......don't laugh !!!

Cheers
Gill
Old Aug 28th 2005, 11:01 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Sorry, very little !!!
In the UK we had access to the Arena in Newcastle and saw some one at least every couple of months. In the last 2 years in NZ, Rob saw Bowie in Wellington and my highlight {not really musical}, ...... Billy Connolly !!

Check out http://premier.ticketek.co.nz/
for what is coming to NZ......don't laugh !!!

Cheers
Gill
We're dead chuffed - having been to around 8 concerts per year over here for the past few years we thought we'd be giving up concerts once and for all when we got to NZ, but Black Eyed Peas are playing at Christchurch on 6th October and we'll be there for it. Ironic that we missed them when they played Manchester last time but we're going to other side of the world and they'll be there. We've seen them before, can't wait to see them again. Kids don't know yet - we're saving the news for the flight!
Old Aug 28th 2005, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bookemjano
We're dead chuffed - having been to around 8 concerts per year over here for the past few years we thought we'd be giving up concerts once and for all when we got to NZ, but Black Eyed Peas are playing at Christchurch on 6th October and we'll be there for it. Ironic that we missed them when they played Manchester last time but we're going to other side of the world and they'll be there. We've seen them before, can't wait to see them again. Kids don't know yet - we're saving the news for the flight!
Good to see that very occasionally major acts appear on the scene... I´m also interested in hearing about the local gig scene for smaller bands - I like to support local talent too! The only criterion is that it must rock!
Old Aug 28th 2005, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

England Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

There is so much good music coming out of NZ you would be hard pushed not to find a gig on most Saturdays, whatever the popularity of the band.
The rock bands most known in NZ include The Feelers, Shihad (originally Shihad then Pacifier - long story but it involved getting accepted in the US - and back to Shihad), Blindspott, Deja Voodoo, Sommerset, Eight, Pluto, Opshop, Goodnight Nurse, 48 May, Goodshirt and I could go on. My favourites are Blindspott, though I've not seen them live (The Feelers are great live).
Most bands tend to group up and do the summer tour - places like Mount Maunganui, Coroglen (on the Coromandel Peninsula), Mangowhai Heads, Paihia, Gisborne, Napier, Raglan etc (wherever there is a known holiday spot)
They also do 'conventional' tours of playing in bars and clubs across the country (Christchurch included).
Gigs range in price from around $25 for the summer tours (three well known NZ artists in one night) to anything from $65 up for bigger names (that's what I paid for the Finn Brothers at Auckand's St James Centre).
Then you've got Big Day Out in January in Auckland. Too many bands to mention but check out their web page.

While in NZ you may even start to like the dub scene - bands like The Black Seeds, Salmonella Dub, Trinity Roots, Rhombus. It's the perfect music to chill out to after a heavy gig.

Check out groovy records to see how many NZ artists there are.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice

I would like to know where the ravey parts of NZ are.

Last edited by jgombos; Aug 28th 2005 at 11:46 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 1:56 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveDK
Is there any? If so, what kind? Especially interested in the rock scene in the Canterbury area, but any and all comments welcome!
A lot of big overseas acts do perform in NZ & Christchurch has a great venue in The Westpac Centre so you will still be able to see the big names but just not as often as you would expect to see them overseas. As for the local scene Im a bit out of touch with that but my sons in their twenties all seem to enjoy it & certainly party most weekends to the wee small hours so cant see that being a problem for you either
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

firing1 is an unknown quantity at this point

The live scene is great, especially for local music. Nz is getting more big acts but also pulling in some very cool US acts who usually play Auck, Wellington, Christchurch. I'm in the music managers association in NZ and promote bands here so flick me an email if you need to know more. Also pick up the october issue of rocksound magazine in the UK as it's going to have a CD with 15 of NZ's rock bands on the cover