Live Music

Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Live Music

The Big Day Out is going on right now and that prompted me to ask if there is much of a live music scene in NZ? If I'm ever going to persuade my kids, at least the possibility of occasional gigs might help.

I looks for Auckland spots but couldn't find much, except Jazz (not that jazz is bad, but it's not my kids' scene). One popular venue (The Temple) closed down a year or two ago, following the smoking ban.

So, is there a good site for finding this information? I've been told that cafes and some music stores often have leaflets about local events but can I find out from the UK?
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 6:32 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Live Music

[QUOTE=sofistek]I looks for Auckland spots but couldn't find much, except Jazz (not that jazz is bad, but it's not my kids' scene). One popular venue (The Temple) closed down a year or two ago, following the smoking ban.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh………

Good news for me mate.

My personal take (as music is a personal taste) is bring on the jazz; I can handle that as it generally HAS music content.

We live in SA (on our way to NZ soon) and we have what I term “noise pollution here� as a lot of airheads think it is being cool to blast you with BOOM –SKA (my own name for most of the senseless genres) at db ear-hurt levels as well as bass that rattles your fillings tend to get upset if you ask (shouting over the noise) to turn the racket down.

I really can listen to any music as long as it’s good BUT that stuff gets to me. I often ask stores if they are playing that junk to turn it down or I will leave their store as mostly the volume levels are way above comfortable (unless in rave club).

So for me mate the big day out is when I get on a plane outta here where I find (work in the business) that most people only listen to that junk because the think it’s in fashion.

If you’re in music publications it could be interesting to do a survey on what kinda music gives the correct mood for shoppers and what irritates them.

Blah blah blah …………………� �€¦â€¦â€¦. Campbells.

Cheers.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Billie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sofistek
The Big Day Out is going on right now and that prompted me to ask if there is much of a live music scene in NZ? If I'm ever going to persuade my kids, at least the possibility of occasional gigs might help.

I looks for Auckland spots but couldn't find much, except Jazz (not that jazz is bad, but it's not my kids' scene). One popular venue (The Temple) closed down a year or two ago, following the smoking ban.

So, is there a good site for finding this information? I've been told that cafes and some music stores often have leaflets about local events but can I find out from the UK?
I know how you feel. Trying to tempt your teenager whose life revolves around music isn't easy. I recently read "A New life in New Zealand" by Paul Goddard, 9.99 How to Books (2004) which is a candid account of their attempt to start a new life in New Zealand. He mentions quite a bit about the music scene out there as he is into that and yes you can buy NME and yes there are lots of bands and venues (as long as you stick to the main cities I think). Could be a problem in some places- older gen, noise etc. Just think how 'cool' your teenagers will be out there with all their musical knowledge- perhaps they could set themselves up a band singing their fav tunes. They'll be a big hit!! Anyway that's what I keep telling my teenager!!
Old Feb 15th 2005, 12:29 pm
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

There is a vibrant music scene in NZ (speaking as a Kiwi and a muso).

Try this:

http://www.fmrecords.co.nz/links.cfm

Yours kids will love it!

We have Jazz too (that's more my speed!)
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:49 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kiwijetpilot

Try this:

Yours kids will love it!

Hi there,

Now you're talking, JAZZ. What you play there dude? I run a production Co & have a studio. I am working on my own album which I write & use session pro's for the various parts and want to get some vocals for some of the tracks which will happen that side.

You a pro muso or pro pilot ?

Looking forward to checkin-out the music scene there.

Cheers

Campbell.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Billie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant future
Wink Re: Live Music

Good. What about bands like Razorlight, Morrissy, Libertines and my son's favourite- Babyshambles. Has anyone out there ever heard of these bands?? About the jet pilot- if you are one I need to talk to you as my husband needs info re flying for a career in NZ (military or commercial)
Originally Posted by kiwijetpilot

Try this:

Yours kids will love it!

Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:00 pm
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

You a pro muso or pro pilot ?
I was a pro pilot in Europe. I would rather be a pro muso though...!

I play bass and six-string guitars. Not all that well these days, but I enjoy myself. In years gone by, when I was single, I was in various bands, one of two of which were quite popular. We were mainly blues/rock with a little jazz thrown in for variety.

I tried to do some stuff musically in Scotland, but never really had the time, so I just went to Runrig concerts.

Morrissey I know, the others I have never heard of.

On the flying side, happy to advise. It isn't easy here, and he will need a NZ licence of course. On the plus side, all the regional airlines are hiring. We sold the Air Force a couple of years ago so he can forget that! Maybe you would prefer to email on this one with specifics, like his quals, experience and hours. Then I can give you an idea what the chances are.