Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Little problem, any help?

Little problem, any help?

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

SweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really nice
Default Little problem, any help?

Ok, my dad done an eligibility application from Workin In Visas...all is pretty positive..apart from my side of things. Since i'm 20 I have to prove that im financially dependant on my parents for me to qualify on my dads visa...or I have to apply under my own esteem.

The problem is...I feel and my parents feel that I am financially dependant on them...I get one benefit right now but that is no where near enough for me to support myself...that being the case, will they honour this or will they say that since I get some money i'm not dependant.

Just to tell you, I get £200 a fortnight...you tell me where you can rent a flat, pay bills, pay for food, and everything else that goes along with staying on your own for that amount?

Thanks in advance.

Stacey
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Little problem, any help?

I would be perfectly honest and tell them exactly how it is....

it's obvious to us that you're financially dependent on your family...hope that NZ see the obvious too.

Just be honest and it'll all come good.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

SweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really niceSweetyStacey is just really nice

Originally Posted by 4pommes
I would be perfectly honest and tell them exactly how it is....

it's obvious to us that you're financially dependent on your family...hope that NZ see the obvious too.

Just be honest and it'll all come good.
Thank you for the reply. I think honesty is all I can do and hope they will honour it.

There is only one other way out if the dependant thing goes belly up...I bought this home learning course early this year for the Sun Certified Java Programmer...if I did that I may be able to apply for my own SM visa, but I tried looking on Immigration NZ and the NZQF and I can't find any sign of the java qualification on there.

I have to say, I was really thinking positive towards this, but now i'm scared I won't be able to go with my parents all because I have no qualifications or money least of all.

Stacey
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

You could get a working holiday visa for a year or two
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:57 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SweetyStacey
The problem is...I feel and my parents feel that I am financially dependant on them...I get one benefit right now but that is no where near enough for me to support myself...that being the case, will they honour this or will they say that since I get some money i'm not dependant.

Just to tell you, I get £200 a fortnight...you tell me where you can rent a flat, pay bills, pay for food, and everything else that goes along with staying on your own for that amount?
It is simple. Do you receive money or kind (ie they pay some bills for you directly), from your parents? Can you substantiate that from bank statements or other evidence? Can you show that that money is necessary to sustain your basic needs of rent, food and bills? If yes to all three then you can show dependance.

How difficult it is to live on the benefit you receive is irrelevant, you must show financial dependance on your parents. Do they "feel" you are dependant because they give you money or for some other reason???