Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A little positivity please!!!

A little positivity please!!!

Old May 7th 2010, 3:43 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little positivity please!!!

Five years in and wouldn't change it for the world.
I've always loved it here - from the second we got off the plane really. I was happy in Scotland and I'm happy here.
Last year was a bit of a struggle, but it was nothing to do with NZ. thankfully that seems behind us now.
What do I like about living here...

I love the friends we've made. I like my job, I get to meet lots of lovely people. The weather is pretty ace really. Our house and garden and having loads of animals is a dream come true for me.
We've managed to make a life for ourselves here that we couldn't have afforded in the Uk.
We've taken up new things - surfing, cheese making (!)farming, veggie growing, boating, chicken and duck keeping - ah yes scintillating stuff!
I love the laidbackness, the stunning beaches, the time I get to spend with my unstressed hubby. Things are done differently here, there seems a more generous spirit around.
When we first arrived we went to a garage to get our new car. Our money hadnt arrived yet, so we said we'd come back next week. The garage owner said, just take he car now if you want. We were like WHAT? he said "where you going to go?" fair enough!! can you imagine that happening in the uk?

This is our experience. We don't live in a big city and NZ is a big place so it'll be different in different places, maybe?

We have fab neighbours and there is a really good community spirit in our tiny village.
I could rabbit on forever but better stop, it's no secret I love it!
Old May 7th 2010, 5:05 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: A little positivity please!!!

Originally Posted by Tomsk
It's nice to read a positive thread
... I find the negative threads get a bit repetitive and, imho, boring . I tend to avoid them. ... There's a few wonderful posters who've hung on in there throughout and continue to post well thought out & balanced posts about NZ, helping others prepare for the move and trying to give honest, realistic comments about life over here. Hats off to them
I love NZ. .... there's heaps & heaps to be positive about in NZ. It is important to be realistic......but it's one heck of a fantastic place to live. I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to experience living over here, and hope that the rest of you share such positive experiences
Fabulous post Cate, thanks for taking the time to lift all our spirits, sounds like its working out for you and you are all very happy Oh and I found Rotorua to be exciting and rather trendy

I loved this post, as 6 weeks in i am feeling the enormity of what we have achieved My mood and feelings are all over the place and I miss my friends alot. However i am sure this is normal and Im not booking a flight back to the UK
It is normal Forshey - I'm sure we'll be the same, its a massive move away from familiarity and family and friends but they are still your family and friends and what great holidays they get now! Where abouts are you?

I've always loved it here - from the second we got off the plane really...
I love the friends we've made. I like my job, I get to meet lots of lovely people. The weather is pretty ace really. Our house and garden and having loads of animals is a dream come true for me.
We've managed to make a life for ourselves here that we couldn't have afforded in the Uk.
We've taken up new things - surfing, cheese making (!)farming, veggie growing, boating, chicken and duck keeping - ah yes scintillating stuff!
I love the laidbackness, the stunning beaches, the time I get to spend with my unstressed hubby. Things are done differently here, there seems a more generous spirit around...
Fantastic pixi-dust - this is what we can only dream of Erm except maybe the cheese making part, don't do cheese!
Old May 7th 2010, 9:04 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

wot! No cheese making!
We're going on a course in a couple of weeks. I love my cheese
Old May 8th 2010, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
I've always loved it here - from the second we got off the plane really. I was happy in Scotland and I'm happy here.
Last year was a bit of a struggle, but it was nothing to do with NZ. thankfully that seems behind us now.
What do I like about living here...

I love the laidbackness, the stunning beaches, the time I get to spend with my unstressed hubby. Things are done differently here, there seems a more generous spirit around.
When we first arrived we went to a garage to get our new car. Our money hadnt arrived yet, so we said we'd come back next week. The garage owner said, just take he car now if you want. We were like WHAT? he said "where you going to go?" fair enough!! can you imagine that happening in the uk?

This is our experience. We don't live in a big city and NZ is a big place so it'll be different in different places, maybe?

We have fab neighbours and there is a really good community spirit in our tiny village.

rabbit away!... its fabulous!...
Old May 8th 2010, 5:48 pm

Talking Re: A little positivity please!!!

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
wot! No cheese making!
We're going on a course in a couple of weeks. I love my cheese
I'm strange pixi never ate cheese up until 2 yrs ago, and only like mild ones melted... travisty I know but good for my waistline!!! I have enough vices such as choc and bread to contend with!

Last edited by Flower Pot; May 8th 2010 at 5:56 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:52 am

*Bumped* - For Kari's request of positive vibes!!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

There will be elements of the UK we will miss, but we look to the future and build upon that.
We will take all the positive experiences we can from NZ and make some good memories.