Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A little positivity please!!!

A little positivity please!!!

Old May 2nd 2010, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little positivity please!!!

Originally Posted by Flower Pot
Well there seem to be a few negative threads appearing lately that are starting to pee me and the hubby off... :curse:
As new immigrants arriving in 7 weeks time we would like some positive vibes please!

Yes we understand people want to show the flip side of emigrating to New Zealand and that it's not all sweetness and light but come on, some people are making it sound like Beirut!!!

We'd like to invite you to post your positive experiences of New Zealand and renew our faith in the new country we are moving too

NO NEGATIVE NELLIES PLEASE
I think you should embrace the negative comments just as you would the positive ones. I have made a number of negative comments about NZ recently but I love my life here and do not wish to be elsewhere.

My negative comments are based mainly on factual info. and as such should be known to others planning on coming here. I remember the NZ forum being berated once by some gormless individual who blamed us for not having warned her about the negative isses that abound here as they do just like anywhere else in the world.

I used to be a 'happy clapper' (had nothing but positves to give re NZ) and was also berated for being such. So with time I became and am a way more balanced poster on this forum. I will tell you how good life can be here I will also tell you about all the really ugly stuff that is NZ in 2010.

Forewarned is forearmed. And I have no axe to grind..as I have said NZ is wonderful for me and my family and has lived up to all our expectations.
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
NZ is a great place to live, with great people, a great climate, lots of opportunities and lots of space, provided you can make it work.
And there's the rub - not everyone can, not everyone who can decides that they want to, and not everything goes 100% for those who make it through those hoops.
We love most things here - heading off to the hot pools, living next to the beach, the positive attitude to sports and kids, the light (which is great), the opportunities to re-invent yourselves, the ex=Pat Pomms/etc that you can bitch about some of the less palatable Kiwis and aspects of NZ life to......all part of life's rich tapestry.

Remember that you are arriving at probably the worst time of the year for an incomer - the darkest, coldest, dampest and least uplifting times which will not help. Remember that when you are struggling through dark July and August - cause it gets far better in the Spring.

If you want to stroll into NZ without being aware of the negatives, that's fine, but be prepared as moving here is not easy for most people and just having a positive attitude is not always enough to carry you through. Seeing the negatives before you can and experience them can help, it certainly did help us - and if you look back far enough you'll see that I was feeling the same way with some posters back in 2006 when we were planning to come.

Don't be too quick to diss the negative "nellies" as absorbing some of what they say can help and we all need to see these points of view to help us in our journey to wherever we are going.
Well said Bro'
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here 10 years and have very little to moan about

I'm not rich, I don't have a section in the country, a boat or a bach
I have an extremely modest home in one of the cheapest areas to buy in Auckland city, so nothing flash.

My daughter does not go to a high decile school (decile 5)
I have a crappy car

But you know - I am so happy here.
I have had opportunities to study that were closed to me over in the UK
this has changed my life!

I feel more at ease with myself than I ever did in the uk..it took leaving to help me discover my values and myself. Weirdly enough it was learning about Maori culture that helped me to discover my own identity

I really appreciate that race relations are in the foreground here, rather than something that's not talked about. I think that the talking helps to keep NZ relatively safe. Hard to explain really. Saying that, there are some migrant groups that get a really tough time but this isn't the place to go into that

I love the sun, the beaches, the camping.
That I can do cool stuff when I'm broke and therefore not notice that I am broke!
I love the lack of decent shops as it has helped me to realise that shopping is not everything (or even anything). I never ever go shopping here as a leisure activity. I do leisure activities for leisure activities.

And finally, after so many years I have a great bunch of friends.

I love Kiwis...i loved them in the UK and I love them here...the ones that I come across have a great attitude to life.

So Flower pot...I wish you well and if you love it here half as much as me you'll be grand
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pricklykina
I have been here 10 years and have very little to moan about

I'm not rich, I don't have a section in the country, a boat or a bach
I have an extremely modest home in one of the cheapest areas to buy in Auckland city, so nothing flash.

My daughter does not go to a high decile school (decile 5)
I have a crappy car

I feel more at ease with myself than I ever did in the uk..it took leaving to help me discover my values and myself. Weirdly enough it was learning about Maori culture that helped me to discover my own identity

I really appreciate that race relations are in the foreground here, rather than something that's not talked about. I think that the talking helps to keep NZ relatively safe. Hard to explain really. Saying that, there are some migrant groups that get a really tough time but this isn't the place to go into that

I love the sun, the beaches, the camping.
That I can do cool stuff when I'm broke and therefore not notice that I am broke!
I love the lack of decent shops as it has helped me to realise that shopping is not everything (or even anything). I never ever go shopping here as a leisure activity. I do leisure activities for leisure activities.

And finally, after so many years I have a great bunch of friends.

I love Kiwis...i loved them in the UK and I love them here...the ones that I come across have a great attitude to life.

So Flower pot...I wish you well and if you love it here half as much as me you'll be grand
Well said Sis'
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:36 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Well said Sis'
+2........ Nothing worse than whingeing poms or Kiwis.....
Old May 2nd 2010, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

you guys are so funny.....................
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:37 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
+2........ Nothing worse than whingeing poms or Kiwis.....
Whinging poms have their good points too.

WP
Old May 2nd 2010, 2:51 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
Whinging poms have their good points too.

WP
OOOOppppssss....
Old May 2nd 2010, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

For a couple whom have just been approved it s refreshing to read a more positive thread.
I do consider and appreciate your comments on the down side of emigrating to NZ and have been forewarned in advance on many a subject
However, I feel as someone who is researching everything to do with NZ in preparation for there new life There has been a lot of negativity posted on Ex Pats lately.
Keep the tread going
Old May 2nd 2010, 3:07 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: A little positivity please!!!

Haha Stormer999 - I hope we have escaped such sights when we land in NZ!

Thanks Pricklykina - sounds like its all worked out great for you, I hope we have the same good fortune

Originally Posted by Genesis
I think you should embrace the negative comments just as you would the positive ones.
Thanks Genesis, I wouldn't say 'embrace' is the right word but I certainly take them on board. My gripe wasn't that people shouldn't give realistic opinions (neg or not), more that there seemed to be SO MANY negative threads and hardly ANY positive ones!

Alas, this thread was born and hopefully will help others as it is helping us, to make us remember why we are giving it a go in the 1st place!

Glad NZ is exceeding your expectations and you are happy, thats all we can hope for in life eh

In the nicest possible way, I don't need anyone else telling me to listen to the neg's as well as the pos's - I am doing so... just wanted to create a NICE HAPPY thread to cheer all us new immi's up!

For a couple whom have just been approved it s refreshing to read a more positive thread.
I do consider and appreciate your comments on the down side of emigrating to NZ and have been forewarned in advance on many a subject
However, I feel as someone who is researching everything to do with NZ in preparation for there new life There has been a lot of negativity posted on Ex Pats lately.
Keep the tread going
Seems you feel the same as we did then yjx! Seems to be going well, getting some great experiences and opinions on kiwi-life Keep them coming please peeps.

Last edited by Flower Pot; May 2nd 2010 at 3:11 pm.
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

KazUK is an unknown quantity at this point

I spent a few weeks in the north island and loved it
I hope to move to NZ in the next year or so

By the way flower pot, i lived in Liverpool for a year and thought it was great despite all my mates telling me about the negative stereotypes
Still the weather is a bit grim up north and some parts of Liverpool near the football grounds is horrible

When your from the west midlands, anything is a step up!

NZ will have its problems, but the whole experience of learning about a new country and the adventure of meeting new people is too hard to turn down

As long as I got a job and a roof over my head, the freebies on offer in NZ will keep me happy!
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Haha Stormer999 - I hope we have escaped such sights when we land in NZ!

Thanks Genesis, I wouldn't say 'embrace' is the right word but I certainly take them on board. My gripe wasn't that people shouldn't give realistic opinions (neg or not), more that there seemed to be SO MANY negative threads and hardly ANY positive ones!

Alas, this thread was born and hopefully will help others as it is helping us, to make us remember why we are giving it a go in the 1st place!

In the nicest possible way, I don't need anyone else telling me to listen to the neg's as well as the pos's - I am doing so... just wanted to create a NICE HAPPY thread to cheer all us new immi's up!

Seems you feel the same as we did then yjx! Seems to be going well, getting some great experiences and opinions on kiwi-life Keep them coming please peeps.
Eaxctly!
this is a great thread. when we want to read about the negatives, we have plenty of threads to choose from.
i think we were beginning to have quite low expectations of life in NZ, but this thread has reminded us of why we want to come there, and that we can make it what we want it to be

thanks everyone for the positives...
any more???
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:38 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you think that says something?

I dunno. A million kiwis living overseas. There must be a reason eh?
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:40 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Just curious...what can you study here that you couldn't study in the UK
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Don't you think that says something?

I dunno. A million kiwis living overseas. There must be a reason eh?
Ask them yourself youre one of them! I'll lay money it's a personal negative post....

Last edited by Stormer999; May 2nd 2010 at 5:08 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.