Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A little positivity please!!!

A little positivity please!!!

Old May 2nd 2010, 3:55 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little positivity please!!!

Originally Posted by Flower Pot
Well there seem to be a few negative threads appearing lately that are starting to pee me and the hubby off... :curse:
As new immigrants arriving in 7 weeks time we would like some positive vibes please!

Yes we understand people want to show the flip side of emigrating to New Zealand and that it's not all sweetness and light but come on, some people are making it sound like Beirut!!!

We'd like to invite you to post your positive experiences of New Zealand and renew our faith in the new country we are moving too

NO NEGATIVE NELLIES PLEASE
NZ is a great place to live, with great people, a great climate, lots of opportunities and lots of space, provided you can make it work.
And there's the rub - not everyone can, not everyone who can decides that they want to, and not everything goes 100% for those who make it through those hoops.
We love most things here - heading off to the hot pools, living next to the beach, the positive attitude to sports and kids, the light (which is great), the opportunities to re-invent yourselves, the ex=Pat Pomms/etc that you can bitch about some of the less palatable Kiwis and aspects of NZ life to......all part of life's rich tapestry.

Remember that you are arriving at probably the worst time of the year for an incomer - the darkest, coldest, dampest and least uplifting times which will not help. Remember that when you are struggling through dark July and August - cause it gets far better in the Spring.

If you want to stroll into NZ without being aware of the negatives, that's fine, but be prepared as moving here is not easy for most people and just having a positive attitude is not always enough to carry you through. Seeing the negatives before you can and experience them can help, it certainly did help us - and if you look back far enough you'll see that I was feeling the same way with some posters back in 2006 when we were planning to come.

Don't be too quick to diss the negative "nellies" as absorbing some of what they say can help and we all need to see these points of view to help us in our journey to wherever we are going.
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice

being a realistic negative nellie, you are still in the honeymoon period, not all of us came here escaping from a 2 hour commute, chavs and city living. Dont start player hating on me
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

My positives are:-

Winter doesn't seem so long, it occurs in the same year as 2 summers!!! Usually only lasts 3 months as opposed to seeming like 6 months sometimes in the UK. We only need to heat up the house during the cold days of June July and August. We used to have the central heating on from October to March/April in the UK! Sometimes beyond that!

The nights don't get dark til around 5pm as opposed to around 4pm in the UK! I used to drive home in winter here at 5pm and not have to put the car lights on in winter as it was just starting to go dimpsy. Plus I only lived a 3 minute drive away from my work.

We can sit in the garden and soak up the autumn and winter sun without feeling chilled to the bone. Last year in winter we had the sun umbrella out on our patio for fear of getting burnt!!

Winters aren't as wet and damp here in North Canty. You know when you wake and the sun is shining that the day will be crisp and cold with lovely blue sunny skies. Usually when we plan a day out if the forecast says it is going to be sunny it will be. Not like the UK when the weather man says sun and you get caught in a downpour! Winters tend to be wetter in the North Island I think.

I will never tire of the picture of snow capped mountains in winter against a clear blue sky.

We can drive 90 mins and be in Hanmer Springs Hot Pools which are great in winter.

Yes there are lots of negatives which I could list but this thread was just for the positives but there are 2 sides to every coin. I am sure I could think of lots more positives but those are enough to be going on with I think.
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:24 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Well most people know I'm pretty positive about NZ!

For me, in no particular order;

The weather, the climate where we live is wonderful. Just this morning I could feel the sun burning and was too hot in long trousers as we sat out having brunch.

The beach, miles and miles and miles of golden sand, sparsly populated, long days spent with friends sipping bubbles on the sand! Swimming in the Pacific Ocean to Christmas Day. Don't even get me started on the laughs of boogie boarding with the kids!

The lack of traffic jams, people jostling in line in the shops, squabbling over parking spaces etc, etc. Going for a walk on a beach or up a hill ... to find you're the only one!

The people. Again I'm sure it's different everywhere but where we are is very laidback, very beachy and the people are so fun and friendly and lively. We live in the most sociable street ever with about 40 kids in and out of each other's houses, over to neighbours for wine, parties etc. It's lovely. Also we have a large ex-Pats community which I happen to love too, but then I'm a very sociable person.

The active lifestyle, the sports for the kids, the social sports for me and I am not sporty, the fact that a walk on the beach is a hop over the road not a 30 minute car drive etc.

The scenary, every place I've been I turn a corner and catch a glimpse of turquoise ocean or dramatic cliff, or snow capped mountain or flat, green fields or volcanic peaks, it's enough to bring a smile to your face.

Oooo, I could go on ...
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:47 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by littleal
Hey Jan, where did you find those stylish clothes?

I wouldn't swap NZ for M&S. I love sunny mornings with a trim flat white, sitting on my verandah even in the autumn.

I love being able to get round quite a big city with hardly any traffic problems and be able to predict what time I might actually get places.

I love friendly Kiwi people.

Why would I want to live anywhere else?
Stylish clothes from M & S????? LOL

Well the weather is lovely went for a gorgeous walk by the river for charity today, made some lovely friends.

Love going out to breakfast, brunch, lunch and Dinner with friends or all three!

Last edited by love30stm; May 2nd 2010 at 5:54 am.
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by teebrown
We have been here 13 months now and we love it. We have built a house, made loads of friends, started a new career and the kids love their school. We wouldn't go back to UK. We only have one wage coming in as I am a student, and we manage, we do lots of free things with the kids (fishing, cycling, beach, etc) we grow our own veg, which is great. I wake up in the morning and smile everyday.

I stopped reading allot of the posts on here as the negative vibes were disheartening.

We love it here and are really glad we made the move.

Good luck with your move.
Yeah agree with you I get sick of the negative posts, the reason I dont go on so much!
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Miserable git

On the plus side i got brekkie in bed this morning

Neil
yeah agree im afraid some people moan about anything and everything and they wont like anywhere!
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Matewx
Hey Flower Pot!

Dont you worry...

NZ is, just like any other countries (I think!), a country where you have positives & negatives...

From then on, it is up to you what you do.... You either ignore the negatives and live in a dream world, focus on the negatives and live in a dark dark place, or accept that like anywhere else shit happens and then you start living the life!

You'll soon be on the other side!!!
Well Said
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by dubstar
being a realistic negative nellie, you are still in the honeymoon period, not all of us came here escaping from a 2 hour commute, chavs and city living. Dont start player hating on me
Awwwww didums!
Old May 2nd 2010, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Miserable git

On the plus side i got brekkie in bed this morning

Neil
Breakfast in bed yo lucky man. I hope the sound of distant exhausts and burn out's didn't keep you awake last night. Mandeville Rd has more rubber on it than tarmac. LOL
Old May 2nd 2010, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice

Originally Posted by love30stm
Awwwww didums!

I think I need to move to the north island i suspect it maybe warmer
Old May 2nd 2010, 7:33 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

The people that point out the negative sides of NZ life are being equally as helpful as the people that bask in the countries positive aspects. Some who go on a bit show themselves as negative people and looking through their previous posts you can soon discount or learn to understand their position. I for one make use of ALL the views I read and certainly am not put off. Go on to the 'returning to the UK' site and you will end up suicidal Roll on Aug 2011 and let me go and suffer the grief and heartache called NZ
Old May 2nd 2010, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

What is really interesting is the difference in tone between forums about NZ/OZ and the USA. Did somebody else notice that? People who immigrate to the US complain about certain things but you don't get this complete negativity there. I think that is because of the different immigration systems. The US doesn't have a point system. It is difficult to get a visa for the US if you don't have a job or relatives there. Most immigrants that move there don't do it because it is their "dream". The dreamers are immigrating to NZ instead and of course their wake-up call is tough.
My conclusion: be honest about your reasons for immigrating. Do not hope for paradise.

Ann
Old May 2nd 2010, 8:23 am

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: A little positivity please!!!

THANK YOU ALL!

What I love about this thread too is that I wrote is last night before I went to bed, got up this morning and all you lovely NZ'ers had written such nice replies... great to read whilst enjoying my bacon sarnie and cuppa on a Sunday morning!

Jan n Neil - sounds perfect, pics of sunrise and pup are fabulous, 4 dogs - wow you must be busy! I have clothes shopped in NZ and never found it too much of a prob... although my mum disagrees, she really missed Marks and Sparks! Feel free to carry on with any more positives!

Littleal - We found the lack of traffic brilliant on our 2 visits, we drove from the top of the north to the bottom and never once got stuck in a traffic jam - crazy! We also found the kiwi people very friendly, look forward to making some new kiwi friends.

Teebrown - Your new life sounds fab, we too are looking forward to the free wonders NZ has to offer. All we do in the UK at the weekend is go shopping, sit in the house or go the pub... not much of a life! I too am going to ignore the neg threads. Thanks for your best wishes!

MnB - I have read with interest your journey about getting to NZ and then coming back the UK. Its great that you are still so positive about NZ, from what I gather it was circumstances that weren't right. I also love my wine so looking forward to sampling many to find my fave! Good luck too x

mcuddy 1 - I'm a realist, its not about taking the truth, its about some positive points too instead of all the negs.

RobDon - Loved your post, exactly what we are looking for in our move from Lpool Also looking forward to an improvement on the weather, its not the be-all and end-all but yes it sure helps! I've never been much of a gardener but I may try my hand at some veggies!

Jo-Chris & Nukiwi - Glad it is all you wanted it to be, sounds great, you couldn't ask for more really!

Matewx - Great reply, hit the nail on the head! We have lived our lives fine up until now accepting both negs and pos's, I'm sure we can do that in NZ too!

Shelloid - Rosetinted or not, sounds like your settling in great and glad its working out for you. Pretty much all the points you mentioned about the UK apply to us here too, so looking forward to changing them kiwi-style!

Bdclayton - Sounds like a perfect little gettaway... and the campervan didn't break down?! Hope the new jobs going well, glad things are looking up for you now... NICE indeed.

Lardyl - Thanks, I totally agree with your points, life can be better for a lot of people, but not everyone can make it work... however, I just wanted a break from the negative threads and to bring some joy back about NZ!
I know we're not arriving at the best time season wise but hey its how the visas worked out so we'll make the most of it! We are travelling for a month 1st (whole of July), so have packed our winter woolleys and umbrella's - we're the kind of people who make the most of things so we'll be OK.
We have our eyes open to the negs but don't focus on them, we're coming from a rough neighbourhood of Liverpool so don't scare easily!
Not dissing the 'negative nellies' in this thread, just choosing to ignore them for a little while...

Dubstar - no hating on this thread, and its not my style. If I never see another Lpool chav it will be too soon... pajama's, ugg boots, rollers in hair, walking around Asda - its enough to make anyone run for the hills

Shirl - Loved your points. My parents live in Orewa, AKL, I speak to them every weekend and I am amazed to hear their autumn is warmer than our summer... my mum was laughing at me though as I was out in the garden in my vest and shorts sunbathing in 18 degrees C and she was in her cardy and long trousers in her garden in 21 degrees C... acclimatisation hey!
I've heard the North is a lot wetter in the winter, but I've lived with rainy UK weather for almost 12 months a year of my 29 years so think I can handle a couple of months! Looking forward to checking our Canty on our travels, sounds beautiful.

Am loolah - You always have pos post's, love your attitude. I must say Papamoa sounds fab... if it doesn't work out in Whangaparaoa then thats our next stop! We too are very sociable people so hoping we can find some good friends over in NZ, sounds like you have a great group of neighbours and friends. Looking forward to a much more active lifestyle too!

Love30stm - Glad to hear your NZ life is going well and you have made new friends. Lets keep the pos vibes going eh!

Stormer999 - Yes I have distinguished between the helpful advice givers and the doom-and-gloom whingers. As I mentioned, I understand there's a flip side but just wanted a thread with some good experiences of NZ, lift everyones spirits a little! I have the grief and heartache to look forward to in 6 and a bit weeks now... BRING IT ON!!!

Assanah - haven't spent any time on the USA forum so can't comment. We have visited twice and NZ will hopefully be OUR paradise... faults and all!

Sorry for the long reply, wanted to address and thank everyone who has taken the time to put a smile on my face this morning Thanks also for the people who PM'ed me with their lovely comments, much appreciated.

Right then... off to Asda to count the pajama, ugg boots, roller-wearing chavs and give them some disgusted looks...

Last edited by Flower Pot; May 2nd 2010 at 8:27 am.
Old May 2nd 2010, 9:17 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Right then... off to Asda to count the pajama, ugg boots, roller-wearing chavs and give them some disgusted looks...

Go for it........ But watch it they may be Kiwi's....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.