Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A little positivity please!!!

A little positivity please!!!

Old May 1st 2010, 3:08 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile A little positivity please!!!

Well there seem to be a few negative threads appearing lately that are starting to pee me and the hubby off... :curse:
As new immigrants arriving in 7 weeks time we would like some positive vibes please!

Yes we understand people want to show the flip side of emigrating to New Zealand and that it's not all sweetness and light but come on, some people are making it sound like Beirut!!!

We'd like to invite you to post your positive experiences of New Zealand and renew our faith in the new country we are moving too

NO NEGATIVE NELLIES PLEASE
Old May 1st 2010, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little positivity please!!!

When I wake up and see sunrises like this out of the kitchen window it lifts my spirits every day

We've started some new planting in the garden and there are no slugs eating them

I actually managed to find some stylish and nice clothes when I went shopping yesterday that appealed, and I stopped dreaming of M&S

We're getting a new puppy tomorrow because now we've got the room to have 4 dogs (we aready have 3)

We had a great night out last night (with Honeybug and hubby) in Rangiora, at no great cost

Want me to carry on?

Jan
Attached Thumbnails A little positivity please!!!-sunrise-small-.jpg   A little positivity please!!!-rueben-being-sweet%5B1%5D-small-.jpg  
Old May 1st 2010, 9:04 pm
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
When I wake up and see sunrises like this out of the kitchen window it lifts my spirits every day

We've started some new planting in the garden and there are no slugs eating them

I actually managed to find some stylish and nice clothes when I went shopping yesterday that appealed, and I stopped dreaming of M&S

We're getting a new puppy tomorrow because now we've got the room to have 4 dogs (we aready have 3)

We had a great night out last night (with Honeybug and hubby) in Rangiora, at no great cost

Want me to carry on?

Jan
Loving this thread. Need lots more ups.....
Old May 1st 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil

Jan
Hey Jan, where did you find those stylish clothes?

I wouldn't swap NZ for M&S. I love sunny mornings with a trim flat white, sitting on my verandah even in the autumn.

I love being able to get round quite a big city with hardly any traffic problems and be able to predict what time I might actually get places.

I love friendly Kiwi people.

Why would I want to live anywhere else?
Old May 1st 2010, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

We have been here 13 months now and we love it. We have built a house, made loads of friends, started a new career and the kids love their school. We wouldn't go back to UK. We only have one wage coming in as I am a student, and we manage, we do lots of free things with the kids (fishing, cycling, beach, etc) we grow our own veg, which is great. I wake up in the morning and smile everyday.

I stopped reading allot of the posts on here as the negative vibes were disheartening.

We love it here and are really glad we made the move.

Good luck with your move.
Old May 1st 2010, 9:53 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flower Pot
Well there seem to be a few negative threads appearing lately that are starting to pee me and the hubby off... :curse:
As new immigrants arriving in 7 weeks time we would like some positive vibes please!

Yes we understand people want to show the flip side of emigrating to New Zealand and that it's not all sweetness and light but come on, some people are making it sound like Beirut!!!

We'd like to invite you to post your positive experiences of New Zealand and renew our faith in the new country we are moving too

NO NEGATIVE NELLIES PLEASE
Hi FP
Even though we've decided to return to UK (because of my homesickness and because we can!) we can both still see lots of positive reasons for settling in NZ....the negative posts are just one side of the coin!!
The weather has been fantastic for autumn, the views are amazing, the people are freindly and helpful, the red tape here is less inhibiting, the food is awesome and the wine.....well need I say more!!

Don't be disheartened, it will be what you make it!!
Good luck
B x
Old May 1st 2010, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Reality bites ehh.

If you can't take the truth about NZ don't go there.
Old May 1st 2010, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
We were worried by the negative threads before we moved over but once we arrived our worries soon disapeared.
We arrived in August last year and are loving living here.
We get up everyday looking at hills and mountains, not always sunny but it doesnt matter to us, we didnt move for the weather, although it has been a huge improvement on the UK!
We love the fact the I travel roughly the same distance to work as I did in Liverpool but there it took 20 mins minimum, here it takes around 10 mins and that is in "peak time!" We can drive anywhere and there is hardly any other traffic on the roads. Everywhere is so empty compared to the UK, even in the summer when it is quite touristy here it was still quiet compared to what we had been used to.
We love the laid back attitude to everything. Our girls love school and have settled in really well making lots of new friends.
We also only have one wage coming in as OH is currently looking for work, but we manage, we also do lots of free things with the girls such as cycling, fishing, walking, and beach etc... OH and DD are currently out fishing as I write!!
We have started to grow our own fruit and veg, tomatoes, lettuce, strawberries-all of which have been bumper crops and are still currently producing-and its mid autumn!
We love it here and are really glad we made the move and wouldn't go back to UK. We know NZ is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but for us it is where we are now and where we want to stay.
Hope this allays some of your fears.
Old May 1st 2010, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, we have been here for six months and love it We are living in New Plymouth, both have good jobs, renting a great house with wonderful views, meeting lots of nice people and its still sunny!!! What more can we ask for
Old May 1st 2010, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

If we'd have let all the negative posts about NZ get to us, we would never have come here. However, we did and have been here 20 months and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT The best thing we ever did and we don't miss the UK at all. Everyone sees things differently but for us it was definitely the right decision.....the only thing we regret is not doing it sooner.

Hubby has a great job and I'm a housewife

I hope you'll love it as much as we do.
Old May 1st 2010, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Reality bites ehh.

If you can't take the truth about NZ don't go there.

Miserable git

On the plus side i got brekkie in bed this morning

Neil
Old May 2nd 2010, 12:27 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Flower Pot!

Dont you worry...

NZ is, just like any other countries (I think!), a country where you have positives & negatives...

From then on, it is up to you what you do.... You either ignore the negatives and live in a dream world, focus on the negatives and live in a dark dark place, or accept that like anywhere else shit happens and then you start living the life!

You'll soon be on the other side!!!

Last edited by Matewx; May 2nd 2010 at 12:44 am.
Old May 2nd 2010, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matewx
Hey Flower Pot!

Dont you worry...

NZ is, just like any other countries (I think!), a country where you have positives & negatives...

From then on, it is up to you what you do.... You either ignore the negatives and live in a dream world, focus on the negatives and live in a dark dark place accept that like anywhere else shit happens and then you start living the life!

You'll soon be on the other side!!!
Thats it in a nutshell!!
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:40 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I've only been here 3 weeks, so I'm sure I'm seeing everything through rose-tinted glasses still, but my positives so far.....
....15mins commute to work on public transport (as opposed to 1hr 15 in the UK)
....amazing amazing views from our house
....neighbours who speak to each other in passing - in London we were in our flat for 4 years and no one else spoke to each other - when we said hello, they all looked at us as if we were crazy!
....our cat is more affectionate (ok not a positive for anyone else, but a positive for me)
....people generally friendlier
....being able to rent a property that is much larger than our UK property and has outside space
....not being afraid wandering round the city or my neighbourhood at night

there are other I just can't think of right now
Old May 2nd 2010, 3:25 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

We have just returned from a weekend break in Bowentown
only 40 mins drive from our home in Tauranga
Stayed in our camper van
You can see for miles down Whai beach from the campsite and watch the white surf break
Climb to the top of the hill and you have a 360 view of Anzac Bay and Whai Beach
absolutely stunning
Had our breakfast on the beach
Drove back to The Mount had a BBQ on the beach
Now we are off the the Hot Polls at Oropi
NICE

Last edited by bdclayton; May 2nd 2010 at 3:28 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.