British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Little Change in Income Since June 2011 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/little-change-income-since-june-2011-a-774234/)

Sue Oct 10th 2012 2:00 pm

Little Change in Income Since June 2011

"New Zealand Income Survey results for the June 2012 quarter showed no significant increase in income from all sources since the June 2011 quarter, Statistics New Zealand said last week.

Between the two June quarters, median weekly income, for all people, from all sources, did not rise significantly – up 1.8 percent from $550 to $560. Although there was little overall change, income increased for the 20–24, 60–64, and 65 and over (65+) age groups."

Just an FYI for anyone interested. I've just added a Statistics New Zealand information release to our news section here

BEVS Oct 10th 2012 7:46 pm

Re: Little Change in Income Since June 2011

HaHa Sue.

Remember the pay rise which wasn't? He was offered a dollar an hour extra a year or two ago and then it was taken back. :lol:

There has been no rise in income in this household for a good 5 years or more. If anything it's decreased .

Mind you himself nets more than $560. More like $850 pw

waikatoguy Oct 10th 2012 8:30 pm

I guess you could look on the bright side. Inflation over the same period was just 1%, so there was actually a comparative improvement in the situation re wages vs costs.

cappuccino Oct 10th 2012 8:42 pm

The best way to get a pay rise here is to change jobs!

BEVS Oct 10th 2012 8:44 pm

What does the 'inflation' figure include.
Our total costs have certainly risen quite a bit. Our net income has dropped.
Don't get me wrong. We're not looking at the food banks or struggling like some are but it is uncomfortable to be living week on week at our ages.

waikatoguy Oct 10th 2012 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10324328)
What does the 'inflation' figure include.

Dunno. I just looked it up on the old interweb.

BEVS Oct 10th 2012 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by waikatoguy (Post 10324360)
Dunno. I just looked it up on the old interweb.

Oh man :lol: You have made me giggle.

Get stuck in . You're supposed to come up with summat a bit good :p

waikatoguy Oct 10th 2012 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10324366)
Oh man :lol: You have made me giggle.

Get stuck in . You're supposed to come up with summat a bit good :p

Haha ... I could if I had time. All you need to do is google some stuff and it makes you sound like a genius. :D

Charismatic Oct 11th 2012 7:00 am

Polling was out the other day as well, National will be taken to the abattoir if the polls reflect voting intentions and the Maori Party have taken a big hit. Project those changes to January 2015...

What can National do though? Their big policy was going to be economic growth and that's ground to a halt, unable to outmaneuver the Euro/Asian/Australian problems with cheap money and still saddled with a housing bubble. Their lack of social development is catching them as well with the child poverty problem.

House prices here are a real house of cards, there is the opportunity for base rate movement but with incomes stalled and price-to-earnings at such a high multiple a recession could set off a real domino effect. External economic pressures may prove just such an event.

Bo-Jangles Oct 11th 2012 8:25 am

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 10324320)
The best way to get a pay rise here is to change jobs!

.... or just hand your notice in and let them persuade you to stay. :rofl:

Pushkinias Oct 11th 2012 8:36 am

It's worse in UK. Pay freezes or salary cuts with inflation being higher.

lardyl Oct 11th 2012 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10325101)
.... or just hand your notice in and let them persuade you to stay. :rofl:

work for yourself and get a good accountant

as Peter Dunne says "tax evasion = bad, tax avoidance = a popular sport in NZ"......

the GST increase arrived just beforehand, well Oct 2010, so it would have been nice to get a bit of help with the increasing costs of those essentials like food......MrsL didn't get any :thumbdown: