Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A little bit of temper to the tone?

A little bit of temper to the tone?

Old Feb 22nd 2005, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

ian_and_lynne is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool A little bit of temper to the tone?

I am looking to move my family out to NZ from the UK, but a lot of the threads I am reading are so negative. I would like to hear from people with good sound advise, if critical, be constructive and offer alternatives, I'm not looking to start a thread full of tirades, but one that will help me make a balanced judgement on whether NZ is for me. Please if you can answer the following q's for me.

Education, who should I talk to, where can I get figures, what should I expect, what questions should I ask.

Expenses, what is an average weekly shop for a family of 4, how much is the average utility bill. how much does your average 5 door hatchback car cost to insure? How much do council utilities cost, rubbish collection, taxes, local and national? at waht rate i.e. 10% for the $20,000 25 on everything over $50,000?

Living, what can I reasonably expect to pay for a 4/5 bedroom house say 30 minutes drive from Wellington/auckland/Christchurch with enough land for 2-3 horses and my wife to grow vines (don't ask)

Working hours, I know the average leave is 15 days, but how many hours do you work, I currently do 40-60 hours a week, and I want to slow down.

What should I look out for when I come over, any pitfalls, hidden gotcha's etc, any and all "constructive" comments are welcome. :scared:

PS looking forward to wearing rugger shirt and shorts to work with my smelly feet on show!
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 9:29 pm
isv
Forum Regular

isv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant future
Default Re: A little bit of temper to the tone?

The answers to every single one of these questions can be found on the web. Give yourself a long evening with 'Google' and I reckon you would get the lot answered in great detail.

Alan.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by isv
The answers to every single one of these questions can be found on the web. Give yourself a long evening with 'Google' and I reckon you would get the lot answered in great detail.

Alan.
That may be true, maybe I may tone was too subtle, yes answers to questions I have asked may be available on google, but I want the personal viewpoint. Take for example pricing comparisons, I have found them on the web, but I have no idea of the source, was it sampled in sainsburys? A or netto's 50% cheaper, or is it an average? But I do not just want the general questions I have asked answering I am after more of a day to day feel of living in New Zealand that I thought a forum like this was aimed at. I reiterate constructive comments please.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 9:45 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Vines won't grow near Wellington, and you would struggle to get them within 30min of the CBD in Auckland - so that would leave Christchurch.

You should try to read online NZ papers to help get a feel for potential places you may want to move to. Steve Netwriters website (sorry can't recall the name of it - I'm sure he's advertising it somewhere on here) and www.benz1.com have good directories of NZ immigration and related links.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 9:53 pm
Damages

Originally Posted by ian_and_lynne
That may be true, maybe I may tone was too subtle, yes answers to questions I have asked may be available on google, but I want the personal viewpoint. Take for example pricing comparisons, I have found them on the web, but I have no idea of the source, was it sampled in sainsburys? A or netto's 50% cheaper, or is it an average? But I do not just want the general questions I have asked answering I am after more of a day to day feel of living in New Zealand that I thought a forum like this was aimed at. I reiterate constructive comments please.
Hi

When we were trying to get a feel for the cost of thing in NZ (we're still in Britain) we used the internet to gather all our costs. For example we went shopping online at the supermarket and got all the stuff we get here for a weekly shop. We didn't get it delivered though (its a long way to go). All goods and services are available online from a wealth of NZ outlets so Yellow pages are good. We have shopped for cars, tellies, toasters etc etc etc. and can get prices for all sorts of stuff new and secondhand. A pretty accurate picture can be drawn that way.

kind regards

Ali

Old Feb 22nd 2005, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by southerner
Vines won't grow near Wellington, and you would struggle to get them within 30min of the CBD in Auckland - so that would leave Christchurch.

You should try to read online NZ papers to help get a feel for potential places you may want to move to. Steve Netwriters website (sorry can't recall the name of it - I'm sure he's advertising it somewhere on here) and www.benz1.com have good directories of NZ immigration and related links.
I know Hawkes Bay is a major vine grower, but pricey, but I would have thought Christchurch (or anywhere on south island) was too far south for vines, but maybe I'm just showing my ignorance in the geography/economy stakes. cheers for the url I've adde it to my favourites. Any other advise on day to day life would also be appreciated.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Damages
Hi

When we were trying to get a feel for the cost of thing in NZ (we're still in Britain) we used the internet to gather all our costs. For example we went shopping online at the supermarket and got all the stuff we get here for a weekly shop. We didn't get it delivered though (its a long way to go). All goods and services are available online from a wealth of NZ outlets so Yellow pages are good. We have shopped for cars, tellies, toasters etc etc etc. and can get prices for all sorts of stuff new and secondhand. A pretty accurate picture can be drawn that way.

kind regards

Ali
Ali,

which supermarkets did you use? any url's you can post?
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 11:34 pm
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

No vines in Chrsitchurch
Lots of vines in Nelson/Marlborough (Blenheim should be a cheap place to live)
Some vines just north of Wellington (Reikiorangi Valley for example)
Zillions of vines in Hawkes Bay
Quite a few around Auckland, particularly to the south of Auckland

Probably others but that's all I can think of.

Try going to www.yellowpages.co.nz and searching on "vineyards"...
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 12:48 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: A little bit of temper to the tone?

Originally Posted by kiwijetpilot
No vines in Chrsitchurch
Lots of vines in Nelson/Marlborough (Blenheim should be a cheap place to live)
Some vines just north of Wellington (Reikiorangi Valley for example)
Zillions of vines in Hawkes Bay
Quite a few around Auckland, particularly to the south of Auckland

Probably others but that's all I can think of.

Try going to www.yellowpages.co.nz and searching on "vineyards"...
Flyboy's been away a bit long and meanwhile things have changed in the NZ wine industry!

http://www.nzwine.com/regions/ (I think this'll be a bit easier than yellow pages)

about 40 wineries in Canterbury, most at Waipara or just south of the city.

The point being that they wanted a lifestyle block nr one of the major cities (an expensive proposition I think, but hey, they may be loaded )
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 2:12 am
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Oh yeah but they aren't REAL wineries!!!

Fair enough, I was just guessing. My main point is that you can find out pretty easily via the web.

Hmmm... must program in a visit to some of those Canterbury vineyards/wineries!!
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

Hi Ian & Lynne,

I'm a Kiwi and I live in Auckland here are some websites for you to look at.

Online Grocery shop is www.woolworths.co.nz (Not the Cheapest)
I go shopping every 3 weeks and spend approx $350-410 plus approx $80 on meat a week ( big eaters) this is for a family of 4 , this doesn't include Alcohol.
What I pay in Electricity is approx $160 per month. I also have a water tank (Rain water), if we run out it costs approx $220 for 4,000 gal to fill it up. I have had to fill up 3 times since December but that is mainly having 8 extra family staying (from UK) and when you are having 12 showers a day and many, many toilet flushes you soon use it up LOL.
Rates we pay $1984 per year which comes in 4 installments. We also pay Council rates of approx $400 per year which includes rubbish,roads,buses etc.

Schooling: For one daughter at primary www.maraetaibeach.school.nz
we pay $140.00 Voluntary Donation (School Fees), School books $70.00 plus pay for school trips, No School Uniform.
I have Another daughter at High School www.howickcollege.school.nz/ - Fees $272.50, Books approx $100.00. School Uniform approx $300.00.
Private School site: www.acg.ac.nz

Real Estate: www.ljhooker.com
www.barfoot.co.nz
We do have Rural properties where I live and they can range from $500,000 upwards.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ian_and_lynne
I am looking to move my family out to NZ from the UK, but a lot of the threads I am reading are so negative. I would like to hear from people with good sound advise, if critical, be constructive and offer alternatives, I'm not looking to start a thread full of tirades, but one that will help me make a balanced judgement on whether NZ is for me. Please if you can answer the following q's for me.

Education, who should I talk to, where can I get figures, what should I expect, what questions should I ask.

Expenses, what is an average weekly shop for a family of 4, how much is the average utility bill. how much does your average 5 door hatchback car cost to insure? How much do council utilities cost, rubbish collection, taxes, local and national? at waht rate i.e. 10% for the $20,000 25 on everything over $50,000?

Living, what can I reasonably expect to pay for a 4/5 bedroom house say 30 minutes drive from Wellington/auckland/Christchurch with enough land for 2-3 horses and my wife to grow vines (don't ask)

Working hours, I know the average leave is 15 days, but how many hours do you work, I currently do 40-60 hours a week, and I want to slow down.

What should I look out for when I come over, any pitfalls, hidden gotcha's etc, any and all "constructive" comments are welcome. :scared:

PS looking forward to wearing rugger shirt and shorts to work with my smelly feet on show!
I have no idea about the vines issue, perhaps realenz.co.nz will have something under "lifestyle" questions. House prices will vary, but that site is a good site to look into for housing.

For taxes go to ird.co.nz Taxes are 19% for the 1st 38 (39)? k, 39% up to 60k and 39% over 60k.

Food varies, microwave meals are expensive. woolworths.co.nz is a good site

Overall NZ felt cheap when we got here, but the longer you are here earing in NZ Dollars, the more you find things get expensive.

A lot of negative things have been said, but the point being i think is to keep a balanced view, and not come across thinking it will be the absolute answer and best place to live. If youre realistic you wont be as easily disappointed. the main drawback potentially is lower wages than the uk and nz being quite far away / islolated. but if youre looking for a more relxed life, and enjoy the outdoors its great.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 9:33 am
Damages

which supermarkets did you use? any url's you can post?
[/
QUOTE]

Everyone else seems to have answered your question, but a good starting point for any other purchase queries and the like is yellowpages.co.nz. Hope this helps

Phyllis

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: A little bit of temper to the tone?

Originally Posted by annaerb
Hi Ian & Lynne,

I'm a Kiwi and I live in Auckland here are some websites for you to look at.

Online Grocery shop is www.woolworths.co.nz (Not the Cheapest)
I go shopping every 3 weeks and spend approx $350-410 plus approx $80 on meat a week ( big eaters) this is for a family of 4 , this doesn't include Alcohol.
What I pay in Electricity is approx $160 per month. I also have a water tank (Rain water), if we run out it costs approx $220 for 4,000 gal to fill it up. I have had to fill up 3 times since December but that is mainly having 8 extra family staying (from UK) and when you are having 12 showers a day and many, many toilet flushes you soon use it up LOL.
Rates we pay $1984 per year which comes in 4 installments. We also pay Council rates of approx $400 per year which includes rubbish,roads,buses etc.

Schooling: For one daughter at primary www.maraetaibeach.school.nz
we pay $140.00 Voluntary Donation (School Fees), School books $70.00 plus pay for school trips, No School Uniform.
I have Another daughter at High School www.howickcollege.school.nz/ - Fees $272.50, Books approx $100.00. School Uniform approx $300.00.
Private School site: www.acg.ac.nz

Real Estate: www.ljhooker.com
www.barfoot.co.nz
We do have Rural properties where I live and they can range from $500,000 upwards.

Thanks,

I'm finding it really useful