Reload this Page >

A Little Advice Needed!

A Little Advice Needed!

Old Feb 23rd 2007, 2:17 pm
Rach

rachelmg is an unknown quantity at this point
Question A Little Advice Needed!

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum but my husband and I are desperate to move to NZ! We've visited friends in Auckland and Nelson and fell in love!

My husband works in IT (currently doing a HNC in computing) and I work in Finance/admin (currently doing AAT) - the advice I need is:

should we wait until we've finished college (another 1 1/2 years) or should we risk it and come out after this college year has finished and hope that we can land jobs?

Also - what are the chances of getting a job (husband) before we come out to NZ?

Thanks in advance!!!!
Rachel
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 2:46 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Little Advice Needed!

Originally Posted by rachelmg
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum but my husband and I are desperate to move to NZ! We've visited friends in Auckland and Nelson and fell in love!

My husband works in IT (currently doing a HNC in computing) and I work in Finance/admin (currently doing AAT) - the advice I need is:

should we wait until we've finished college (another 1 1/2 years) or should we risk it and come out after this college year has finished and hope that we can land jobs?

Also - what are the chances of getting a job (husband) before we come out to NZ?

Thanks in advance!!!!
Rachel
Welcome to the site (Im in Mansfield, its lush ).

Can you get in without the college course ie Family members ect. ?

You may find that you need 2 year post graduate experience for it to count. I could be wrong.

We wont be going without a job offer. But to be honest my wife works in the health service so shouldnt be too much hassle to get a job.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 3:08 pm
Rach

rachelmg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - I'm in sutton!! It's a great place isn't it!

Not a chance - no family over there!

He had a look on the immigration site - points indicator thing and I think with the HNC it will seriously help us!

I'd like to get him a job offer before we go - but it's a case will he get a job first?

I also work for NHS, where does your wife work?

Thanks for replying
R
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all

Hi - I'm in sutton!! It's a great place isn't it!

Not a chance - no family over there!

He had a look on the immigration site - points indicator thing and I think with the HNC it will seriously help us!

I'd like to get him a job offer before we go - but it's a case will he get a job first?

Thanks for replying
R
Hi there and welcome

Try having a look on this employment website: www.seek.co.nz. You will be able to see the kind of jobs that are on offer. The best thing to do is start contacting companies. You will find people are very helpful and will get back to you with heaps of information and advice. I think there are also IT specific recruitment companies although I can't remember any off hand, try searching this site a bit for old posts about it as I have seen conversations about IT work a few times. They might be able to advise about the qualifications you are working towards and whether or not they are recognised in NZ as this is very important. If I remember correctly IT is the kind of work that companies may be happy to offer from a distance via telephone interviews etc. But, if not, you might want to consider a reccy trip loaded with interviews once you have decided this is definitely for you.

Anyway, I hope that is of some help, if not then I'm sure someon will come along with some better advice from their own experiences. Try posting a thread with IT jobs in the title to entice the right people.

Good luck with it all!

Amy
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:25 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replying
R
The Park.

I think you will have to wait a few years and get 2 years post graduate experience under your belt. Unless the job offer thing take you over the threshold

PS My brother lives in Teversal.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Hi there,

Thanks in advance!!!!
Rachel
Hi there....we were in Mansfield, Clipstone Village...now in Whangarei, Northland, NZ....

We came on temporary work visas, if your jobs are on short term skills list you can come on a 3 year temp visa and apply for permanent visa when you get here...oh you must have a job offer to do so though which means you may need to finish your courses first, check it out on Immigration Website!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by phil01
Hi there....we were in Mansfield, Clipstone Village...now in Whangarei, Northland, NZ....

We came on temporary work visas, if your jobs are on short term skills list you can come on a 3 year temp visa and apply for permanent visa when you get here...oh you must have a job offer to do so though which means you may need to finish your courses first, check it out on Immigration Website!
We have just come back from Whangarei

Loved Kamo and Whau Valley Road areas
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
We have just come back from Whangarei

Loved Kamo and Whau Valley Road areas
Very nice indeed, we are out at One Tree Point, Ruakaka, 2 minute walk to the beach, not many shops but it was beach we wanted, and at the moment we love it.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by phil01
Very nice indeed, we are out at One Tree Point, Ruakaka, 2 minute walk to the beach, not many shops but it was beach we wanted, and at the moment we love it.
I know it. We looked at some sections there. Looks great, lakes golf course and the ocean right next door

Whats the schooling like at One Tree Point?

We didnt see any

PS Sorry for the hijack. PM me if you want
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
I know it. We looked at some sections there. Looks great, lakes golf course and the ocean right next door

Whats the schooling like at One Tree Point?

We didnt see any

PS Sorry for the hijack. PM me if you want
There is a primary school at OTP where our 9 year old goes...and it is really good. Very focussed principal used to teach in UK. Good resources, got their own pool so she swims every day, got their own library, huge! Well into sports as well as swimming she does sport every day, got rugby, footy, netball, basketball, track the lot and to her absolute enjoyment had a choice of guitar, keyboard, or piano lessons, she chose guitar.

High school is Bream Bay College so its school and college combined, bus picks up from OTP and takes them over to Ruakaka, niece and nephew go there and again they love it. Own pool, loads of what they call cool stuff, mechanics courses, debating club, acting club so for the first time in their lives the kids are actually enjoying school!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks in advance!!!!
Rachel
Hi Rachel,
My husband works in Auckland in IT. He had no job when we arrived in November, but had contacted several agencies before we arrived and lined up some interviews.
I definately advise him to look at seek, find jobs that are relevent to him, apply even though you have no work permit and then use the phone numbers they also give to phone and test the water. My husband did this often before we arrived just as an indicator as to how easy he would find work. Unless your husband is quite high up in IT he will find it hard to secure a job before you go.
IBM are worth contacting in Auckland, they definately do telephone interviews.
The two agencies we used were High Street IT and Robert Walters. These are both IT specific agencies and RWalters secured my husbands job. Let me know if I can help any more. Good Luck
Carole