British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   A little advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/little-advice-402222/)

Dappadee Oct 14th 2006 10:38 pm

A little advice

Hey peeps. It's been a while since I checked this place. I arrived in NZ last Feb and at first things went really well. I walked straight into a job, was given a 3 year permit and my girlfriend had the same experience when she arrived a month or so later. But by about June time I hit a major snag, after 8 and a half years I split with my girlfriend. Now suddenly I find myself on my own in a foreign country living in a shoe box in Wellington CBD. Anyway there is a point to this, it's not just me whinging for the hell of it. I need to find a way of getting out and about to meet people, I'm struggling to think of any at the moment. I have some friends that I have made through work but most of them have families and kids so there time is limited. Everywhere I go at the moment involves drinking loads and loud music (not that there is anything wrong with that :beer: ) and it doesn't really make meeting folk very easy. So any suggestions?

chrisvan Oct 14th 2006 11:36 pm

Re: A little advice

Hi Dappadee

thought I'd reply as noone else has -been in Auckland since June but then am with hubby and kids!!!! Your situation must be hard but not impossible its just that you'll have to go out and make the effort try volunteering in areas that interest you or taking up new hobbies exercising, walking etc. or even taking up an evening class......... there are things out there is just finding them, wishing you luck,

Chris :)

jueinnz Oct 15th 2006 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by chrisvan
Hi Dappadee

thought I'd reply as noone else has -been in Auckland since June but then am with hubby and kids!!!! Your situation must be hard but not impossible its just that you'll have to go out and make the effort try volunteering in areas that interest you or taking up new hobbies exercising, walking etc. or even taking up an evening class......... there are things out there is just finding them, wishing you luck,

Chris :)

Hey there...do you play any sport? Find a club to join. I know that its hard but you will find people real freindly but you gotta give them a chance to meet you!!! I understand how you are feeling...keep smiling :)

newkiwi Oct 16th 2006 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Dappadee
Hey peeps. It's been a while since I checked this place. I arrived in NZ last Feb and at first things went really well. I walked straight into a job, was given a 3 year permit and my girlfriend had the same experience when she arrived a month or so later. But by about June time I hit a major snag, after 8 and a half years I split with my girlfriend. Now suddenly I find myself on my own in a foreign country living in a shoe box in Wellington CBD. Anyway there is a point to this, it's not just me whinging for the hell of it. I need to find a way of getting out and about to meet people, I'm struggling to think of any at the moment. I have some friends that I have made through work but most of them have families and kids so there time is limited. Everywhere I go at the moment involves drinking loads and loud music (not that there is anything wrong with that :beer: ) and it doesn't really make meeting folk very easy. So any suggestions?

sports break the ice nicely, there are a number of social sporting leagues around.
how about making up a pub quiz team with workmates, good excuse to go out on the piss regularly...
there is always dating sites

cottageinthesky Oct 16th 2006 4:50 am

Hi Dappadee - wondered where you'd got to - thought you were out there enjoying yourself too much to post on the site - last time you posted, you were in Upper Hutt? Sorry to hear you're now on your own - what age group are you in? I've got family from late 20's to mid 30's in Wellington - most are childless! - do you play any sports? There has been talk of a Wellington get-together in the near future.

dreamfish Oct 16th 2006 8:25 am

do you like fishing? I have always found joining a fishing club a great way of meeting people.

Biddy Oct 16th 2006 8:58 am

Originally Posted by dreamfish
do you like fishing? I have always found joining a fishing club a great way of meeting people.

Fishing! Bonkers - the most lonely sport (?) in the world!
What about knitting or crochet clubs?

Seriously, join your local cricket, touch rugby (or whatever floats your boat) club.

Invite workmates round for dinner at your place, get involved in a work based social thing, stand outside with a sandwich board asking for freinds, stop strangers in the street and talk to them, put an ad in the paper, invite someone on a forum round for a beer, get a huge plasma telly and invite the rest of the street round to watch the air NZ final next week, start a curry circle, join a book club, hang around your local dairy, ask the local pub if you can guest DJ one night....... or something more sensible!

lilliewhite Oct 16th 2006 9:24 am

Hi Ya,

Bars and clubs do not seem to be the most popular way to meet people. As Wellington is small I would suggest you take up an activity or join a club of some sort and NO it doesnt have to be Poker Club. Just think of what makes you happy..i.e gym, karate, running, travel NZ on your own that way u will get to meet people.
Good luck

dreamfish Oct 16th 2006 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Biddy
Fishing! Bonkers - the most lonely sport (?) in the world!
What about knitting or crochet clubs?

Hell no - join a decent club, get to some matches, they hold bbqs and social events, and yes you get to do some serious chiling out too. you have been in the wrong clubs, or you have never fished!!

(and whats wrong with crocheting clubs - another great way to have a yack with your mates and knock up some christmas pressies)

:p

lilliewhite Oct 16th 2006 9:57 am

Whatever tickles your pickle I say.....and there isnt anything wrong with Crochet Clubs as long as they provide tea and bikkies!!!! :)

Originally Posted by dreamfish
Hell no - join a decent club, get to some matches, they hold bbqs and social events, and yes you get to do some serious chiling out too. you have been in the wrong clubs, or you have never fished!!

(and whats wrong with crocheting clubs - another great way to have a yack with your mates and knock up some christmas pressies)

:p