Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Linfox Does anyone work for them?

Linfox Does anyone work for them?

Old May 27th 2008, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

angpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud of
Default Re: Linfox Does anyone work for them?

Originally Posted by stevieb1007
hi paddy , thanks for your response....i have my phone interview tommorow night with a chap from linfox....they reckon it is an informal chat and that i should suit the position.....we'll see...they want us out our there a.s.a.p for a look around etc but that alone will cost a few quid....don't quite know what to make of it ..
steve
HI
I'm a truck driver from the UK now driving in NZ.I drive log trucks now and have been for 7 months.Enjoying it no nights away no weekends.Great.Start between 4.30 - 5.00 am and normally finished between 4 & 5.In general need to work approx 60 hours a week to maintain a reasonable lifestyle.earn $18.50 p/h.Got linfox in Nelson I think 6 trucks mainly Mercs artic or B-train.Up here in nelson they seem to do supermarket work.nothing like the Uk (tescos etc ).Most freight drivers normally load and unload themselves.thats apparently the norm over here.log books no tachos.you allowed to do 14 hour days.5.5 hours work half an hour break.Not many drivers at our work take there break.they just fill it in but then we do get paid for our breaks.can drive on your Uk licence for a year but its a piece of piss to sit your NZ conversion.I didnt even study it and still passed.you just go down the AA and do a multiple choice.You will have to do your Dqngerous Goods(DG) endorsements which I beleive is a 4 day course.Majority of the trucks on the South island( SI)are truck and trailer combination,not sure of the NI.
anything else don't hesitate
cheers
paul
Old May 27th 2008, 9:39 am
Just Joined

paddyandshell is just really nicepaddyandshell is just really nicepaddyandshell is just really nicepaddyandshell is just really nicepaddyandshell is just really nicepaddyandshell is just really nicepaddyandshell is just really nicepaddyandshell is just really nice

Originally Posted by angpaul
HI
I'm a truck driver from the UK now driving in NZ.I drive log trucks now and have been for 7 months.Enjoying it no nights away no weekends.Great.Start between 4.30 - 5.00 am and normally finished between 4 & 5.In general need to work approx 60 hours a week to maintain a reasonable lifestyle.earn $18.50 p/h.Got linfox in Nelson I think 6 trucks mainly Mercs artic or B-train.Up here in nelson they seem to do supermarket work.nothing like the Uk (tescos etc ).Most freight drivers normally load and unload themselves.thats apparently the norm over here.log books no tachos.you allowed to do 14 hour days.5.5 hours work half an hour break.Not many drivers at our work take there break.they just fill it in but then we do get paid for our breaks.can drive on your Uk licence for a year but its a piece of piss to sit your NZ conversion.I didnt even study it and still passed.you just go down the AA and do a multiple choice.You will have to do your Dqngerous Goods(DG) endorsements which I beleive is a 4 day course.Majority of the trucks on the South island( SI)are truck and trailer combination,not sure of the NI.
anything else don't hesitate
cheers
paul
Hi paul thanks for that info
Its good that things are working for you its a big decision to make.

The contract is driving for Lynfox on their shell contract out of Auckland, they've not indicated if they want me to come out for a look round and formal interview or not.

So I'm waiting for more info on what they are going to offer us in a package deal??

We don't know anymore than that at the present time.

cheers
Old May 28th 2008, 9:08 am
Just Joined

SCOTT1E is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys you are gona struggle with the Residency Visas.

One of the Criteria to apply for a WTR Visa is that you must earn over 50k, but be warned that is based on a 40hr wk. There aint any Driving jobs paying that much.

50k doesn't get ya far living in Aucks. ( average House rents are $400+p/w ).
Old May 28th 2008, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

markraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SCOTT1E
Guys you are gona struggle with the Residency Visas.

One of the Criteria to apply for a WTR Visa is that you must earn over 50k, but be warned that is based on a 40hr wk. There aint any Driving jobs paying that much.

50k doesn't get ya far living in Aucks. ( average House rents are $400+p/w ).
its now gone to $55k and tanker drivers are paid that
Old May 28th 2008, 9:24 am
Just Joined

SCOTT1E is an unknown quantity at this point

There aint many Drivers doing a 40hr week tho.
Old May 28th 2008, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

markraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SCOTT1E
There aint many Drivers doing a 40hr week tho.
it means you have to earn $55k in first 40 hrs but you can work more
Old May 28th 2008, 10:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by paddyandshell
Hi paul thanks for that info
Its good that things are working for you its a big decision to make.

The contract is driving for Lynfox on their shell contract out of Auckland, they've not indicated if they want me to come out for a look round and formal interview or not.

So I'm waiting for more info on what they are going to offer us in a package deal??

We don't know anymore than that at the present time.

cheers
Please be aware that the criteria for Work To Residency will change next month. You need $55K PA for a 40 hr week to apply for Work to Residency which could apply for Permanent Residency.

Other than that , you must remain on temporary work permits.