Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Linea Weatherboard or brick build?

Linea Weatherboard or brick build?

Old Jun 1st 2009, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

kiwisteph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Linea Weatherboard or brick build?

Hi there

Are there any builders or people who have either a brick build or a weatherboard build that can give me advice on which is the best to build with please?

Thanks
Old Jun 1st 2009, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Linea Weatherboard or brick build?

Originally Posted by kiwisteph
Hi there

Are there any builders or people who have either a brick build or a weatherboard build that can give me advice on which is the best to build with please?

Thanks
Brick Brick Brick Brick Brick...well it would be if we lived in a first world country!

You have to look at the earthquake issues of building in NZ that is not really an issue back home and whatever the local council/goverment restrictions are too.

Otherwise brick and block cavity wall with loadsa proper insulation between any day of the week...but it will cost ya more here.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:21 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Our house , which is 30 yrs old, is not built of brick or weatherboard. It's built of cedar wood & is as solid as the day it was built. Looks good too IMHO.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Brick Brick Brick Brick Brick...well it would be if we lived in a first world country!

not sure if that's the best idea if you are on an earthquake fault line..

Personally I wouldn't choose Brick... (Not that I don't love it... just shouldn't ...) Many of my Brit mates said the same thing. My mum also said NO. I have a friend who built his own house in Waikanae and was mainly constructed of weatherboard ... even if he loves Brick .......surely he is an English!

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 1st 2009 at 11:50 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Why no to brick then for some of you? Is it the earthquake factor?
Isnt brick warmer than weatherboard? Does weather board still have the leaky building syndrome factor?
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:40 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Linea Weatherboard or brick build?

Can you buy antique looking brick in New Zealand or just the bright red ones retirement homes use? What sort of area are you building in? What sort of scenery do you have to deal with? The earthquake thing isn't a huge issue but better run your plans under the nose os a local civil eng. to make sure (Mind you, I would say that).

There have been folk who built houses out of straw bales so the material isn't a problem if you hire the right folk to make things happen.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Can you buy antique looking brick in New Zealand or just the bright red ones retirement homes use? What sort of area are you building in? What sort of scenery do you have to deal with? The earthquake thing isn't a huge issue but better run your plans under the nose os a local civil eng. to make sure (Mind you, I would say that).

There have been folk who built houses out of straw bales so the material isn't a problem if you hire the right folk to make things happen.
Were building in Raumati Beach, so its a beach/country outlook. I like the paler looking bricks, maybe a mediterranean feel, but i like the look of the weatherboard finish as well.
Does anyone know of any good websites with exterior designs of houses, can seem to find many!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 12:19 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.housedesignnews.com/

Find something you like, send a picture to your architect and say "I want that style/cladding etc.". He should talk with you about insulation values etc. of different construction methods.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at the Lockwood site for a few ideas.

http://www.lockwood.co.nz/
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

So how would you heat a brand new house, ducted heating or central heating radiators etc?
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 4:51 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

So how would you heat a brand new house, ducted heating or central heating radiators etc?
Heat pumps are the norm with maybe a wood burner in the lounge as a back-up and a feature.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:30 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Personally I like central (radiators etc.) or under-floor, if I was building and thinking about living the the house for a long time (long enough to at least break even on the costs).

Those heat pump things are probably the lowest fixed cost option and are often retro fitted (a few of the really good ones even have heat exchangers so you aren't just re-circulating the same damp air within the house).

To be fair if a house is very well built with due regard for insulation and breathability in a temperate climate like much of New Zealand heating wouldn't be a major issue. The Scandinavian folk pretty much have the last say in this type of construction, as you would expect as they live in a climate that it bitter in winter and moderate in summer.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Thanks

The first thing I would do is check out the local building standard requirements.

On a personal note if I was building in Wellie I probably would be thinking timber for obvious reasons.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold

Ha!, thats hilarious, you cracked me up ... so true!

Hokey-Pokey: Lockwoods look good, but they make "heaps" of noise. They creak constantly ... we had one on our farm. Just something to keep in mind. Specially at night

Originally Posted by Charismatic

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Found a fantastic brick house we both like and i think we will be going for central heating with under-floor heating in the tiled areas, double glazing and a huge amount of insulation.
The rental were in in Welly is right on the hill tops and is so bloody cold & VERY windy so were going for the lot in our own build. Even thought this house is not old its taught us a lot about what we want in a house of our own so def worth renting it out for this purpose alone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.