Light bulbs!

Old Aug 7th 2005, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Light bulbs!

I know the voltage is the same in NZ as in UK / Central Europe so presumably only the plugs need changing to get appliances working (TVs, videos aside that I understand operate on a different frequency and are not compatible with UK equipment).

What about light bulbs? Bayonet (UK), screw (DK) or unique fittings?
Old Aug 7th 2005, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Light bulbs!

Originally Posted by SteveDK
I know the voltage is the same in NZ as in UK / Central Europe so presumably only the plugs need changing to get appliances working (TVs, videos aside that I understand operate on a different frequency and are not compatible with UK equipment).

I was waiting to see if anyone would come to your rescue, and they haven't so I went shopping and found them for you, looks the same to me.

http://dse.resultspage.com/search.ph...&site=&w=lamps
Old Aug 7th 2005, 11:25 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Most lightbulbs have the little things sticking out on the side of them & you kind of push then in & then turn to lock in place. Have no idea what you call them though but think they could be the bayonet type Do have screw in ones too but dont see a lot of them except in lamps etc but might be becoming more common since I left!!
Old Aug 8th 2005, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Location: I'm a Brit who's lived in Auckland for the last 2 years
NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future

On most appliances you only need to change over the plug (more difficult for those ones with the big moulded block plugs that you use to charge mobiles etc. We changed the UK plugs on the end of a few UK plug banks so that we only had to buy one NZ plug instead of 4, and then plugged all the UK plugs into the (now) NZ plug bank.

Videos will still play but won't record unless you can get them to tune in the free-to-air channels (we've been here 2 years and I haven't even tried to tune the video in...) and newer TVs should be fine. We bought a new tv here and haven't had a single problem with compatibility with any sources (DVD player, PS2 etc).

Light bulbs are bayonets or screw, exactly the same as the UK.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 12:31 pm

SteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant future

he 4 or 6 way UK plug bank is definately the best thing to do! I will hjowever guarantee that you will get annoyed with mobile phone chargers etc - which you really need to move from place to place - and they get hardewr having to have an adapter!

It is however, thankfully quite easy to get NZ equivalent chargers for most mobile phones!

All electrical equipment from the UK will work fine here. The ONLY caveat is that TV's which don't have international tuners (supporting VHF frequencies as well as UHF) will be useless for picking up terrestiral TV. They can be used with DVD/video/Sky/Xbox/ps2 etc though. One cheapish way of fixing the problem is to watch TVF using a NZ VCR as the tuner.

I brought Playstation, Vid Camera, numerous computers, RC Cars/Helicopters, stereos etc and everything was 100% fine.

Light bulbs as standard are bayonet with a few ES

Originally Posted by NZ Climber
On most appliances you only need to change over the plug (more difficult for those ones with the big moulded block plugs that you use to charge mobiles etc. We changed the UK plugs on the end of a few UK plug banks so that we only had to buy one NZ plug instead of 4, and then plugged all the UK plugs into the (now) NZ plug bank.

Videos will still play but won't record unless you can get them to tune in the free-to-air channels (we've been here 2 years and I haven't even tried to tune the video in...) and newer TVs should be fine. We bought a new tv here and haven't had a single problem with compatibility with any sources (DVD player, PS2 etc).

Light bulbs are bayonets or screw, exactly the same as the UK.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 4:54 am

Dave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SteveNZ
he 4 or 6 way UK plug bank is definately the best thing to do! I will hjowever guarantee that you will get annoyed with mobile phone chargers etc - which you really need to move from place to place - and they get hardewr having to have an adapter!

It is however, thankfully quite easy to get NZ equivalent chargers for most mobile phones!

All electrical equipment from the UK will work fine here. The ONLY caveat is that TV's which don't have international tuners (supporting VHF frequencies as well as UHF) will be useless for picking up terrestiral TV. They can be used with DVD/video/Sky/Xbox/ps2 etc though. One cheapish way of fixing the problem is to watch TVF using a NZ VCR as the tuner.

I brought Playstation, Vid Camera, numerous computers, RC Cars/Helicopters, stereos etc and everything was 100% fine.

Light bulbs as standard are bayonet with a few ES
Talking from an electrical regulations view, is there any legal problem to using a UK version 4 way extension when you have popped a NZ plug on it? I have thought about this myself as it is certainly a good idea and my reasoning was that if you can use travel plugs abroad then why not this method and as long as you aren't interferring with the electrical installation I wouldn't thought there was an issue? The only thing to watch is that you don't exceed the 10 amp rating. Also, if the fuse blows, is the fuse type the same for the NZ as they are for the UK ones as otherwise you have a problem if a fuse does go.

Cheers

Dave
Old Aug 9th 2005, 5:28 am
livewire

Dave the plugs here don't seem to have fuses. But I think you might be able to buy different rated plugs.

Most of our UK electrical equipment are things like PCs and games consoles so surge protected extension blocks are a good idea.

Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:33 am

SteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant future

Hi Dave -

you *should* be fine changing the plugs - although if you REALLY want to by totally compliant - you could get a sparky to check them out for you.

Plugs here HO NOT have fuses - AT ALL!

the closes you normally get to a fuse (other than the glass ones that are installed internally often) are little overload circuit breaker things that are on most mjultiway plugs.

If you are bringing over UK plugs with fuses - I would suggest bringing some spare fuses - because it's not something that you can pick up at any supermarket etc.!

Steve

Originally Posted by Dave and Lyns
Talking from an electrical regulations view, is there any legal problem to using a UK version 4 way extension when you have popped a NZ plug on it? I have thought about this myself as it is certainly a good idea and my reasoning was that if you can use travel plugs abroad then why not this method and as long as you aren't interferring with the electrical installation I wouldn't thought there was an issue? The only thing to watch is that you don't exceed the 10 amp rating. Also, if the fuse blows, is the fuse type the same for the NZ as they are for the UK ones as otherwise you have a problem if a fuse does go.

Cheers

Dave