Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The life of a teenage Kiwi

The life of a teenage Kiwi

Old Oct 25th 2006, 6:25 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default The life of a teenage Kiwi

One of the reason for us (well me) wanting to move to New Zealand is that I dont want my kids to grow up into the average "Kevin & Perry". Loitering around supermarket car park ect.

Now I know its not going to be Utopia but what does the average Kiwi teenager get upto?

I have it in my head that they all go surfing, canoeing, walking on the beach, football and all that
Old Oct 25th 2006, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

annaerb1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The life of a teenage Kiwi

My daughter 15 meets up with her friends on a Saturday and either goes to the movies or shopping. Friday Night & Sunday she works. In the school hols it's the same although she works most of them.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 6:43 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annaerb1
My daughter 15 meets up with her friends on a Saturday and either goes to the movies or shopping. Friday Night & Sunday she works. In the school hols it's the same although she works most of them.
Thanks for the reply

What does she do in the week? And how does that compare to what she did in the UK?

PS Sorry for the daft questions
Old Oct 25th 2006, 7:36 pm
Banned

Lenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
One of the reason for us (well me) wanting to move to New Zealand is that I dont want my kids to grow up into the average "Kevin & Perry". Loitering around supermarket car park ect.

Now I know its not going to be Utopia but what does the average Kiwi teenager get upto?

I have it in my head that they all go surfing, canoeing, walking on the beach, football and all that
The activities available here for teenagers are endless. But most of them cost $$$$$$$$$$ so bear that in mind. Our kids normal week is as follows-
Horse riding, cricket, football ( or soccer as they insist on calling it ) sailing,
squash, athletics club, netball, rugby ( or football as they insist on calling it....quite why they do baffles me when they use their hands 95% of the time ) swimming and one that I have just introduced because it doesnt cost anything mountain walks.
So basically the kids have a non stop weekly timetable which as you can imagine they love.
Bored teenagers can result in anti social behaviour so there is your answer.
This is a great country for children/teenagers ......if you can afford it!
Old Oct 25th 2006, 7:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lenny the Lion
The activities available here for teenagers are endless. But most of them cost $$$$$$$$$$ so bear that in mind. Our kids normal week is as follows-
Horse riding, cricket, football ( or soccer as they insist on calling it ) sailing,
squash, athletics club, netball, rugby ( or football as they insist on calling it....quite why they do baffles me when they use their hands 95% of the time ) swimming and one that I have just introduced because it doesnt cost anything mountain walks.
So basically the kids have a non stop weekly timetable which as you can imagine they love.
Bored teenagers can result in anti social behaviour so there is your answer.
This is a great country for children/teenagers ......if you can afford it!
Cool

At least they are available. Here during half term the council shuts all the activities for the kids
Old Oct 25th 2006, 8:12 pm
Banned

Lenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really nice

Cool

At least they are available. Here during half term the council shuts all the activities for the kids
Its amazing but when I here the word council when thinking about England it just depresses me
Old Oct 25th 2006, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

pleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nice

That's what I told my parents when I was 15 too...
Old Oct 25th 2006, 8:43 pm
Banned

Budowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to behold

most of them get a crappy car, stick a home made spoiler on the back, some mag wheels, and then drive endlessly around the block.

It's hilarious! Unfortunately, most kids in this country aren't that much different to those in the UK.

I think it's even worse for those stuck in the wop wops. They must go out of their minds with boredom.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

annaerb1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply

What does she do in the week? And how does that compare to what she did in the UK?

PS Sorry for the daft questions

We are Kiwis
During the week she doesn't see any of her friends. She goes to Tae Kwon Do(self defence ) twice a week and apart from that she talks on the ph,computer and study for exams as there always seems plenty of them.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:20 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Budowsky
most of them get a crappy car, stick a home made spoiler on the back, some mag wheels, and then drive endlessly around the block.

It's hilarious! Unfortunately, most kids in this country aren't that much different to those in the UK.

I think it's even worse for those stuck in the wop wops. They must go out of their minds with boredom.
/Is wop wops the rural back of beyond?
Old Oct 26th 2006, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
/Is wop wops the rural back of beyond?
Yep what you might call "In the sticks!!!!"

Very rural areas.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 7:07 am
Banned

We are Kiwis
I knew that really