Life in NZ

Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:38 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Life in NZ

Originally Posted by Pomki
this is a bit of a longun, but, I have read many posts about how people are struggling to live since coming to NZ. So I thought I would take a moment to give a snapshot of my life since moving to NZ.

I live in a small town called Omarama, in the south island. It is on state highway8. three and a half hours south of Christchurch, and 2 1/4 hours before Queenstown. Its a small town of only about 400 residents in the winter rising by a couple of hundred in the summer.

Its the sort of small community, where I am greeted every time I go into the shop by name. I dont need to call a mate to go to the pub with, because I can go there on my own anytime and know people already there.
I have a regular job here that has a package worth about $50 grand a year. Not a lot compared to all the salaries everyone talks about. But to be honest I have trouble spending the money and am actually repaying my UK debts with these wages as well.

Work is cool, although it does appear to get in the way of my social life quite a bit.

Lets see, Winter has come to a close, with which I spent as much time as possible at the local ski field, a mere 1/2 an hour from my house. (thats right. Not a three hour flight to Europe) but a 1/2 hour drive.

Summer is arriving so I have started learning to fly gliders in what is generally known as the best gliding spot in the world, where many a record has been broken, and will be the host of the inaugural Gliding Grand Prix in January.
Only yesterday, a chap popped his head in my office door, and asked Fancy going Hand gliding?' And an hour later I was stepping off the side of the mountain soaring with a Kestrel.
But its not all fun around the breathtakingly beautiful Southern Alps which surround this town I live in, or flying overhead in the constantly beautiful weather.

No,,, I also have to put up with the fantastic lakes and rivers which surround me. The locals like any excuse to get out on their boats, so at weekends I might go water skiing, fishing (Oamarama is known to be one of the best fishing spots going, with many a trophy photo of some outrageously huge fish donning most household walls here), then there is the sailing, windsurfing, kayaking etc.. Or maybe just relaxing with the dog at the lake or rivers edge with the barbie going, a bunch of friends and a bottle of local wine.

Of course sometimes I like to have a little privacy. And as you can imagine its merely a short walk to complete solitude. That can even be on the Golf course, which I have paid my $100 dollars for a full years membership, allowing me free golf in four local courses. I have never had to book a tee time, that would be just plain silly.

Obviously this is my view on life here. There are many aspects important to others, like the local school. The mums and dads looking after baby Alex who might head up to one of the local farms for a cuppa and to watch the world go by. Any questions about this place, ask away.

To be honest I could tell you so much about this small town. From the excitement and value of being a volunteer firefighter to going to dance class on a Tuesday night. And this is just a small town, not a big city with so many other things to do.
And to think I used to spend 2 hrs driving along the M25 into work in the UK. To a job that struggled to cover the fuel, parking and general living costs. And just sapped my life. A life where I never dreamed of doing the things I do here.
I did not walk straight into this life here. It took me 7 months for it to come along. But through the hard times I stuck to it. And would not give up NZ and the people for anything.

It would be great to hear about other peoples lives.
What you are getting up to, now you are living in NZ.

Chris.
Jealous?.......Not me i live in Portsmouth

Green Green Green
Old Oct 20th 2005, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Fishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant future
Wink Re: Life in NZ

I've been thru' Omarama and just want to say that posts like this make me feel very inspired to carry on wiuth our plans and as previously said, are a good balance against the negative stuff.
Thanks
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:50 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fishy
I've been thru' Omarama and just want to say that posts like this make me feel very inspired to carry on wiuth our plans and as previously said, are a good balance against the negative stuff.
Thanks
Dont you think that Pomki has chosen his NZ "Lifestyle" and made it work?

My guess is that other emigrants (is that the right word) are looking for a different type of "Lifestyle" and its a little more difficult to achieve given the high cost of living in NZ.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Pomki is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Dont you think that Pomki has chosen his NZ "Lifestyle" and made it work?

My guess is that other emigrants (is that the right word) are looking for a different type of "Lifestyle" and its a little more difficult to achieve given the high cost of living in NZ.

When I first read your post Pompey_Paul, I thought, 'Oh don't talk rubbish' But as I think of it, there is truth in what you say.
I guess no one can expect to pitch up in a new place and have the perfect life overnight. It takes time to settle into your new life i would have thought.
And as far as the cost here. Nothing comes for free obviously. But I can do so much more here that would never have been possible in the UK, I have learnt to Dive, fly, dance etc.. and there is a lot that does'nt cost either. Getting out amongst the most beautiful scenery?

And I am really looking forward to a BBQ on christmas day, and a beach party for New years eve!! Sweeeeet!!!
Old Oct 21st 2005, 11:22 am
Nice Tats

Originally Posted by Pomki
When I first read your post Pompey_Paul, I thought, 'Oh don't talk rubbish' But as I think of it, there is truth in what you say.
I guess no one can expect to pitch up in a new place and have the perfect life overnight. It takes time to settle into your new life i would have thought.
And as far as the cost here. Nothing comes for free obviously. But I can do so much more here that would never have been possible in the UK, I have learnt to Dive, fly, dance etc.. and there is a lot that does'nt cost either. Getting out amongst the most beautiful scenery?

And I am really looking forward to a BBQ on christmas day, and a beach party for New years eve!! Sweeeeet!!!
I agree ....your into Fishin, Divin, Flyin, outdoors sort of stuff ........ and some people are into Ipod, Flat Screen, Fashion Label......thats Kinda wot i am trying to get across
Old Oct 21st 2005, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

BobK will become famous soon enoughBobK will become famous soon enough

Hi Pomki,

great post, I loved it. One thing you mentioned that I'd like to ask about, the fire service.

I'm retained in the UK in Oxfordshire on a pretty busy station. Booking time off at weekends, evenings etc. is a real headache because there are never enough people around to crew both pumps. I got the gist that you still seem to be able to do all your normal activities at any time, how does it work in NZ?

I know that the NZ fire service is all volunteer whereas retained in the UK get paid (a bit). I'd like to carry on when I get to NZ. Any pointers? I'm heading to Chch area.

cheers

Bob
Old Oct 21st 2005, 7:23 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
and some people are into Ipod, Flat Screen, Fashion Label......thats Kinda wot i am trying to get across
I wish ... cheeky sod

Actually apart from my pc I don't crave for any of the above stuff.

It is harder with kids in NZ.
On a single mans wage with no kids obviously life is going to be sweet as.
But if you have kids and have all the expenses kids bring along then NZ is very expensive and I don't mean the latest ipod toy or whatever I just mean the additional cost of school fees, clothes, food, after school activities etc.

I'm hoping that NZ will realise soon that the wages are out of proportion to the cost of living. The locals tell me that it has got crazy expensive over here over the last four years.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 7:57 pm
Nice Tats

Originally Posted by sky
I wish ... cheeky sod

But if you have kids and have all the expenses kids bring along then NZ is very expensive and I don't mean the latest ipod toy or whatever I just mean the additional cost of school fees, clothes, food, after school activities etc.

I'm hoping that NZ will realise soon that the wages are out of proportion to the cost of living. The locals tell me that it has got crazy expensive over here over the last four years.
Gotta be tough with Kids
Old Oct 21st 2005, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Pomki is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BobK
Hi Pomki,

great post, I loved it. One thing you mentioned that I'd like to ask about, the fire service.

I'm retained in the UK in Oxfordshire on a pretty busy station. Booking time off at weekends, evenings etc. is a real headache because there are never enough people around to crew both pumps. I got the gist that you still seem to be able to do all your normal activities at any time, how does it work in NZ?

I know that the NZ fire service is all volunteer whereas retained in the UK get paid (a bit). I'd like to carry on when I get to NZ. Any pointers? I'm heading to Chch area.

cheers

Bob

Hey Bob,
Good to hear you are in the fire service. I have only recently joined, so I am very green still. Although i am learning about the dedication required. Its not always that much fun responding at 0200 in the snow, when you have a long day to look forward to! But very satisfying all the same to make yourself an asset to the community. I was based in Oxford for a bit, and can imagine how busy you must be! many a dodgy road.

It depends where you are here. Chch has a full time brigade. I believe i have heard of retained personnel there, I will find out more today for you.
Other towns like here are completely run by volunteers, all from the community in their spare time. We have the siren sounding in town to call us in. We dont have to book time off, although we do have to inform the boss if we plan to be away so if the numbers drop too low to man the pump (which is not hard), then another local town is given our catchment area. We then pitch one night a week (which night depends on the community) for training to keep up to date. And you can make your way up the ranks the whole way. The fire service will teach you to drive the pump, take the officer course and eventually make the CFI's job. Everyone here is a volunteer
It depends where you go as to what you get. I understand Queenstown is still run by volunteers as is part of Dunedin, I believe they get more in the way of fires, where as the majority of our work is RTA's.
As in the UK, the full time service is generally well staffed with only a small number of jobs available each year. Where as the small volunteer services, are always looking for help.
I will send on some more details to you.
Anyone else out there, considering the idea of helping out in your town. Pop in and say hello!!

---------------------------------

The original post was looking for how peoples lives are happier and better in NZ, and looking for nice stories of life over here.
Everyone I have met in NZ, in person, loves their life here. And would not give it up for anything. That includes singleies, couples, families kids etc...

Where are these people on here? Are there any????
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
I wish ... cheeky sod

I cant believe I just read this. I was stood in the kitchen wondering just what to make next for our evening dinner,looking at our almost bare bank balance, staring at the bills which equal the remaining bank balance - and wondered exactly that same thing WHEN is the NZ government going to wake up and realise that it is almost impossible for families to survive here!
The cost of living has escalated to a frightening level. More and more kiwis are leaving and NZIS are out seeking more migrants to take their place, offering lifestyle and low cost of living to entice. They are lying to everyone!
The salaries here barely cover the bills, every cent is spoken for. There is nothing left over for luxuries or day trips out. Fuel is now so expensive that day trips out are a thing of the past anyway.
Young couples, both working, no kids, capital in bank..great.
Families, one salary, small capital, need mortgage, sorry but it almost certainly equals disaster. Its sad but its true. It is not fun having kids and not even affording $1.50 to send them to the swimming pools.
We are considering going back to the Uk now, we have had enough of trying to make ends meet here. We have to admit defeat and face the truth. NZ is no longer a cheap place to live.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 4:56 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

We were an RTA here in NZ ... had a fourteen ton Fire truck bearing down on us and unfortunately we came the worse off!
Fortunately the truck was European, had just been imported and it had decent hydraulic brakes
After I stop shaking and realized we were all alive and still had our arms and legs and stuff it was like some social event, all the fire crew piled out to have long chats with us about how we were so lucky and not mince meat that day.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see someone posting about the great things about NZ.
The best things in life are free...and also priceless.

But I also agree with the posts about the increasing cost of living and wages not increasing in proportion.

I am a civil engineer (in Dubai at mo.) and apparently our industry in NZ is losing a lot of people who are heading to UK, USA or wherever seeking better jobs and higher wages.

NZ companies are struggling to find decent talent....and yet wages are stagnant. It makes no sense.

Also, think about this......if cost of living is too high and wages are too low. What happens if the people who work at the places where you buy stuff get a payrise? Yep - the cost of the goods must go up. Viscous circle.

Glad i'm not in politics.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

melting pot is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sky
We were an RTA here in NZ ... had a fourteen ton Fire truck bearing down on us and unfortunately we came the worse off!
Fortunately the truck was European, had just been imported and it had decent hydraulic brakes
After I stop shaking and realized we were all alive and still had our arms and legs and stuff it was like some social event, all the fire crew piled out to have long chats with us about how we were so lucky and not mince meat that day.
Dont you think that its like living in " alice in wonderland" at times...we had a car roll down the road ( no handbrake on, and hit cars, and stopped in next doors garden...I am there thinking S***...i am here with 2 small kids, thinking about going for a walk...and we could have just been mowed down...the police come...talk to the owner...ha ha...never mind,dont forget to put hand brake on....me...thinking....that could have killed someone...just amazed...someones loosing grip with reality....quite sure its not me
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 7:29 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by melting pot
Dont you think that its like living in " alice in wonderland" at times...we had a car roll down the road ( no handbrake on, and hit cars, and stopped in next doors garden...I am there thinking S***...i am here with 2 small kids, thinking about going for a walk...and we could have just been mowed down...the police come...talk to the owner...ha ha...never mind,dont forget to put hand brake on....me...thinking....that could have killed someone...just amazed...someones loosing grip with reality....quite sure its not me
Lol what about the news reports when some poor sod has died and they go and interview the rellies the next day and they're all smiling and the reporter is asking them the most insensitive questions like ' how did you feel knowing your wife was under a mountain of mud after the mud slide????!!!!'

It's just not normal :scared:
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

melting pot is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sky
Lol what about the news reports when some poor sod has died and they go and interview the rellies the next day and they're all smiling and the reporter is asking them the most insensitive questions like ' how did you feel knowing your wife was under a mountain of mud after the mud slide????!!!!'

It's just not normal :scared:
A plane was stollen and being aimed at the sky tower on election night....and just passed off as he had employment grievances....police were following in a helicopter....that realy makes me feel comfortable...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.