Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Life in New Zealand as a scientist 3 years on.

Life in New Zealand as a scientist 3 years on.

Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:12 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Life in New Zealand as a scientist 3 years on.

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Come to San Diego.
Always a good option.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Nurses - well into the $60k region after a few years experience.
i don't think so, that is grossly over estimated, sadly a lot lower.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LizaJane
Agreed,I have been nursing 15 years and I will be earning NZ$48k when I get there
Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:28 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by scubadoo
I have been advised that my negative postings on this site are not really welcome because it is a pro-immigration site.
This was not from the BE mods, BE admin or the owners of BE. You have been mis-informed.

People are free to post their opinions, experiences , views within the guidelines of the BE rules.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Hi - yes my technology is getting old now and I can no longer afford to update! I can't even afford the old technology any more!

I've come across three types of kiwi since I moved here:
i) Good, honest ,say it how it is types
ii) Rose coloured, everything is great, she'll be right types
iii) Apathetic, couldn't care less types

I'm sure this is too simple a view but I think that NZ needs more of the first type. Just like us whinging poms!

I probably will give Oz a go since I'm in the neighbourhood, probably not much science in Taz though.

Regards
No, I think you are spot on.

Sonds like you have the raw end of the deal!

I would seriously look into Oz before moving there...it may have slightly higher wages but also has crime and drug problems. The drive by shootings are on the increase as with NZ, drug related crime and mental illness is worse than UK.

Starting all over gets harder the older the kids get. If you like the idea of Oz just make sure you do your homework and go visit before deciding.

Is there any chance you could go back to Oxford? What you had there you will not find again here or Oz so consider your options carefully.

If I were in your position I would start working on my contacts back home to see what was available before you are out of the game too long.

Goodluck
Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi - yes we're making moves in that direction but once NZ sucks you in with propaganda it then sucks you dry and leaves you high. It takes a lot of work to get out again!
Where do you live now?

regards
I totally agree with your summary here, some of the information we were given might as well of been toilet paper!

I have said from day one that New Zealand is a honey trap
Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

As for the obvious bullying going on...

This site is not about pro immigration it is about views on life in New Zealand. If NZ is falling short, well, ho hum, other people should be abel to express their views especially when it is related to personal experiences....

Obviously like anything there are two sides to a country, we need to stop filling over the cracks and be honest about NZ. People who are emmigrating should be given balanced views and opinions not just the glossy propoganda.

New Zealand is not perfect, though it has great scenery, no terrorist threats, little knife crime, offers a chance of a 'bigger' house or to be mortgage free, good surfing, outdoor pursuits, amazing beaches...it also has problems with gangs, shootings, drugs and drug related mental health problems, high rates of childhood asthma, poor housing conditions, a social divide, bad pay and holidays and lately, especiallly in the last couple of years theses 'negatives' have increased. It has good and bad just like anywhere else.

I for one think we should be a little less selective with the facts, people have a right to their opinion and also a right to know the truth.

I am sure there would be far less unhappy immigrants wanting to go home or move on if thay had been given the 'facts' in the first place.

Be fair and be honest
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:17 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree with your summary here, some of the information we were given might as well of been toilet paper!

I have said from day one that New Zealand is a honey trap
I agree NZ can be a honey trap for some people, just as it can be surprisingly better than expected for others.

It is therefore important that potential immigrants make their own minds up about the pros and cons of moving here, based on as much information as possible. Let the buyer beware.

The inference from some of these posts is that NZ is institutionally fraudulent in trying to attract immigrants, by misleading people. Apart from the usual 'advertising' that any product will have, I struggle to see how NZ does this. On the other side of the coin there are plenty of people who think NZ does not to enough to attract migrants - where is the right balance? Should Once Were Warriors and World's Worst Gangs be compulsory viewing for all?

Or is the criticism directed at websites such as this?

Or perhaps it is just a fact of life that Brits (in particular) have this view of NZ as being some sort of paradise in the south seas, where all their dreams can come true...??

To the OP - I am genuinely sorry to hear that despite lots of rhetoric about NZ becoming a knowledge economy, and a few well publicised successes - we are obviously a long way off achieving that. I have a couple of friends working in medical research, both now overseas and unlikely to return.

Last edited by southerner; Aug 4th 2008 at 11:19 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

I feel bad for you, as this is a terrible wage, and not an easy subject matter to understand, and also excel in. I too am a geneticist, but have 'removed' myself from science here, as it is so badly paid. I have changed my career now for a much better salary.
Prof Robert Winston was over here not so long ago, and spoke to the NZ press about how badly funded NZ science industry is, and how it is actually holding NZ back from the global scientific market. He expressed a view which I share, saying this is a huge shame, as NZ has huge amounts of talent, and specialties which could make the country a lot of money. It really annoys me as it is not seen as important, and also the public have such a lack of interest and also knowledge of this, and are just fed stories the media decide to divulge. There is a lot of ignorance here on scientific matters, and also anytime people discover anything in NZ that is not good to the environment here it is either hushed up, or explodes everywhere (if it is good news). An example is that of the moth spraying in west Auckland....scientists discovered it in fact does harm the respiratory system of people....hmmm...how quickly that story was buried.

Anyway, good luck, and if you want ideas of different career paths, let me know!!!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I had just been going on what I had seen in the press an on various websites, eg:
The agreement will result in pay rises for DHB nurses and midwives of just under 4 per cent implemented over three years and a raft of improvements to other work conditions including:
• entry-level base annual salary to rise from $40,000 to $44,562
• parental leave to increase from six to 14 weeks
• long-service leave to start after five years, instead of 20
• annual leave to increase by three days to become five weeks after five years’ service
• nurses can join KiwiSaver with 2 per cent contributions, matched by 2 per cent from the employer.
(http://www.nzdoctor.co.nz/news?artic...8-4758055738c4)

and:
Originally Posted by sean bassett View Post
hi gill
i have been registered for 20 long years, so i guess i would go in on the top band, im not looking for any senior management role, im a hands on sort of nurse!!
so with unsocial hours whats your best guess on take home pay for the year if i was on the top band
but thanks for info

Over $65,000 I should imagine, but don't quote me. Also you can get an extra $4000 on top of your salary for doing a portfolio demonstrating you are an expert nurse (called PDRP Professional development and recognition programme).
Also top staff nurse salary goes up to $60,159 on 31st march 2009
Where you looking for work? what specialty? Fancy a job in Rotorua?
Cheers
Gill
(http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ay#post6112595)

Sorry - it looks like I was misinformed and was assuming that progression happens more quickly than it does
Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by weejie
Agreed,I have been nursing 15 years and I will be earning NZ$48k when I get there
My wife started on NZ$54k as a theatre nurse.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

scubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by southerner
I agree NZ can be a honey trap for some people, just as it can be surprisingly better than expected for others.

It is therefore important that potential immigrants make their own minds up about the pros and cons of moving here, based on as much information as possible. Let the buyer beware.

The inference from some of these posts is that NZ is institutionally fraudulent in trying to attract immigrants, by misleading people. Apart from the usual 'advertising' that any product will have, I struggle to see how NZ does this. On the other side of the coin there are plenty of people who think NZ does not to enough to attract migrants - where is the right balance? Should Once Were Warriors and World's Worst Gangs be compulsory viewing for all?

Or is the criticism directed at websites such as this?

Or perhaps it is just a fact of life that Brits (in particular) have this view of NZ as being some sort of paradise in the south seas, where all their dreams can come true...??

To the OP - I am genuinely sorry to hear that despite lots of rhetoric about NZ becoming a knowledge economy, and a few well publicised successes - we are obviously a long way off achieving that. I have a couple of friends working in medical research, both now overseas and unlikely to return.
Hi - No I don't think it is Brits in particular, but Brits are not afraid to speak out. I have heard similar comments from many nationalities.
There is a danger of becoming focussed on the negatives when you become 'bitter' about NZ and there are of course positives.
All of these issues arise because of the heavily over optimistic marketing. When researching NZ as a destination it is very difficult to get a balanced view, it is very difficult to find the many negatives!
We researched well and I have had relatives in NZ for 60+ years (they passed away around 8 years ago), we even spent two weeks touring the whole of NZ (Quickly!) but we were still not well prepared. We know that there is no such thing as the perfect country and that there is a glossy brochure attitude to advertising, but you do expect NZ to live up to at least some of its claims. However it often doesn't!
I think NZ heavily over promises and fails to deliver. If they put forward a more realistic view then, sure, less people would move here but there would be more chance of those who did staying. As it is people arrive and are very quickly disillusioned, they then feel cheated and leave again. You can say buyer beware but ultimately NZ pays the price when people leave with little good to say about the Country.
For example - I think we all agree that the cost of living are not low. So why advertise openly that they are?
Of course the people who leave first are the educated and/or career driven, the people you need to build a good economy.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

ballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really nice

Hi

I am also a scientist, I work as an anlytical Chemist. I took a chance and just came over without a clue about the job market in my specific area, and I have to say it has really worked out.

I was in the position of playing three job offers against each other and this increased my wages considerably. I was originally offered 48000$ but turned it down and negotiated 60K plus for my skill set. I also graduated 3 years ago in chemistry (analytical), I guess it may come down to how in demand your skills are and how you come across in interviews.

Not all scientists are poorly payed though for me this was still a pay cut from my uk wage but I wouldn't change a thing. I also work for a university by the way.

Russ
Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

SpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to all

You definitely chose the wrong place. The best place for a university researcher is United States, especially with "Oxford" on a resume. You won't get tenure the next day, but if you can tolerate the Yanks, even at a less prestigious university, you'll make $150,000 easily. University professors make a ton of money in the states. They rarely teach. They usually teach 10 hours and research 30 hours. A lot of time, classes are taught by assistants. New England is the most educated part of the country. That's where Ivy League is located. Stay away from the bible belt, it sucks.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:52 am
Just Joined

scubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=SpookyET;6649853]You definitely chose the wrong place. The best place for a university researcher is United States, especially with "Oxford" on a resume.

Hi - yes I did spend some time working at Yale on Sabbatical from Oxford. I enjoyed it but I'm not too sure about living there, especially in the current climate. But I may be wrong!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.