Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is life in new zealand a bed of roses?????

Is life in new zealand a bed of roses?????

Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

gozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nice
Default Is life in new zealand a bed of roses?????

After reading some of the messages on this site I am wondering if nz is the place for my family . We have a plan to move over in november if all goes well. My wife getting a job as a teacher is key. I would like to find some seasonal work on a farm. Then go back to college or start an appenticeship as an electrician.

At present i work about 80 hours a week on the farm and then do part time as an electrician. Cost of living in the uk is high and was hoping for an easier life. I am not scared of work i just don't want to turn round one day and have missed my kids growing up and be an old man .

Most people i speak to about nz tell me it will not be like that in nz , but they all seem to want to sell me a product .

Is it me getting cold feet ? Help me out guy . work / family . will i see my kids grow up .
Old Apr 9th 2008, 6:06 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Is life in new zealand a bed of roses?????

Originally Posted by gozzy
Is it me getting cold feet? Help me out guys. work / family. will i see my kids grow up?
Put on some socks and gumboots and come on down. I know that down here on the South Island, probably no reason why it wouldn't be the same on the North Island, farmers are gagging for help. If you are experienced you should be able to negotiate something satisfactory as far as salary and time off. If you're interested maybe take a look at http://www.godairy.info/ and http://www.fencepost.com/classifieds...uraljobs%2C%2C

Good luck.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Life's what you make it. Cost of living is relative too. One man's budget could be another's blowout

The minimum wage is now $12 an hour, so living on apprentice wages ain't so bad, particularly if you're supplementing it with seasonal farm work, and you're not the sole earner.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:45 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

and there's no denying kids have a great life here in NZ

The reality is that it isn't a bed of roses, no, but if it were we would have more than 4 million living here, which would detract from the attraction for most of us.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

We all complain in here about things,but we would complain back in Uk about things..Can't be that bad,we are all still here...I have come to the conclusion Britain is just a nation of moaners,me included...

Please don't let anyone put you off exploring your dreams..

I think in life you never regret the things you do,

you only regret the things you havn't done,so good luck with your plans...jacky
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:31 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt say it's a bed of roses - where is? and I reckon it would be pretty boring if everything smelt nice all the time.
But for us this is the best thing we ever did. NZ ticks all our boxes and some we didnt even know we had.
We've totally immersed ourselves in as much as we can, here. This seems to work.
The only thing you can do is give it a go.
We have a small farm - too small for a full time helper, but we do hire backpackers sometimes and their going rate is $100 per day - I can only assume a full time worker would be more? dont know for sure though.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:41 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

We had quite a deep bed of roses but eventually the thorns worked their way through....bit like the princess and the pea.

Don't believe the marketing hype about the country Gozzy. Much of it is put out to attract Kiwis back to live in NZ and to bring in much needed tourist revenue. You need to ask why so many New Zealanders leave and don't return.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:25 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody thinking of immigrating anywhere should ever look at tourist brochures, unless they want to work in or invest in the tourism industry.

Nor should you take take what is written on immigration forums too literally
either. What is one man's sweet nectar may be another's poison.

Its fair to say that NZ is a small, isolated country and that creates some unique features compared with what most people are used to. It probably means that you'll either love it or hate it. That goes for the locals too - a number of them prefer to live in a bigger country like Australia.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:32 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
Nobody thinking of immigrating anywhere should ever look at tourist brochures, unless they want to work in or invest in the tourism industry.

Nor should you take take what is written on immigration forums too literally
either. What is one man's sweet nectar may be another's poison.

Its fair to say that NZ is a small, isolated country and that creates some unique features compared with what most people are used to. It probably means that you'll either love it or hate it. That goes for the locals too - a number of them prefer to live in a bigger country like Australia.

True.

The only way to find out if it'll work for you is to do it!
Take the plunge, have the adventure. Approach it with a positive attitude.
If it works, it works!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:34 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

And if it doesn't, it doesn't. It's no biggie.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:09 am
Just Joined

Mr.B is a jewel in the roughMr.B is a jewel in the roughMr.B is a jewel in the roughMr.B is a jewel in the roughMr.B is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gozzy
After reading some of the messages on this site I am wondering if nz is the place for my family . We have a plan to move over in november if all goes well. My wife getting a job as a teacher is key. I would like to find some seasonal work on a farm. Then go back to college or start an appenticeship as an electrician.

At present i work about 80 hours a week on the farm and then do part time as an electrician. Cost of living in the uk is high and was hoping for an easier life. I am not scared of work i just don't want to turn round one day and have missed my kids growing up and be an old man .

Most people i speak to about nz tell me it will not be like that in nz , but they all seem to want to sell me a product .

Is it me getting cold feet ? Help me out guy . work / family . will i see my kids grow up .
Hi gozzy
My situation is very different from yours, but I've only recently arrived here (Wellington) so I'll give you my thoughts as someone who is still adapting to life in New Zealand.

First - my situation back in the UK
Location in the UK: Leeds (but worked all over the place)
Wife & kids: None (long story)
Profession: IT (freelance contractor so I sit behind a desk and the most exercise I get is from pushing my mouse. No fresh air at all.)
Reason for coming here: I've wanted to for ages, because of the outdoor & sporting culture & opportunities. Also hoping for better work-life balance.

Now I'm here
Arrived: Middle of January
Work: As before - an IT contractor. (The money is good but still a lot less than the UK.)

My thoughts
Life probably isn't a bed of roses anywhere. It depends what things are important to you.
In New Zealand, there seem to be lots more opportunities for sports and general outdoor leisure pursuits. People are friendly. I've yet to see a fight (or even an argument) when I've been on a night out. Teenagers loitering in one part of Wellington city centre can be boisterous, but I've never felt that they're malicious or any kind of threat.
I know this summer has been the best for years, but I believe the weather here is generally less depressing than the UK. It does rain, and it can rain pretty hard. The cloud can settle low over Wellington and hide the tops of the surrounding hills. The wind can blow. But there are fewer grey days than in the UK. The clouds gather, the rain falls, the clouds disappear, and next day the skies are blue again.
How old are your kids? What do they like doing? They might find the music scene a bit limited here (so might you). But if they like outdoor stuff they'll probably like New Zealand.
For me personally - like I said I'm still adapting. I came out here on my own, I only knew one other person in NZ (who lives about 5 hours drive away). I'm still forming acquaintances and friendships. I'm doing sports that I haven't done for ages (football, possibly some rugby) and I'm trying others that I've never done before (kayaking, kitesurfing). With no family considerations, I had the freedom to gamble and just take the plunge. That's a luxury that you don't have. On the other hand, sometimes it's tough being here on my own. At least you'll have your family with you.

My summary so far
It's been easier for me to take the plunge, because I only have myself to worry about. I've only been here a couple of months, so who knows whether I'll stay? But there's lots of really great stuff here. There's a lot to love about this country and the people are great. Really friendly. I know there's a lot to love about the UK too (especially Yorkshire ) but, in all honesty, at the moment it feels like I've gained more than I've lost. I'm enjoying it here, and winter hasn't even arrived yet (as a snowboarder, the prospect of a New Zealand winter is getting me excited).
One thing that I can already say for sure - I did the right thing by coming out here. It would have eaten me up inside if I'd never tried it. If I decide it's not for me, I'll go back to the UK with loads of new experiences and memories and stories to tell, and I'll know that I gave it a go. And I don't mean this in a smug way, but I'll also feel that I can be proud of myself for actually trying, instead of just wondering.
So I don't know if I'll make a new life here, but I already know I've done the right thing by coming here and trying. I think it's a great place.

I don't know if that helps at all, and I'm sorry if it sounds corny. If only I was better with words.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:13 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr.B
...It would have eaten me up inside if I'd never tried it. If I decide it's not for me, I'll go back to the UK with loads of new experiences and memories and stories to tell, and I'll know that I gave it a go. And I don't mean this in a smug way, but I'll also feel that I can be proud of myself for actually trying, instead of just wondering.
So I don't know if I'll make a new life here, but I already know I've done the right thing by coming here and trying. I think it's a great place.

I don't know if that helps at all, and I'm sorry if it sounds corny. If only I was better with words.
Yes! Well put. That's exactly how we feel.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:06 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Yes! Well put. That's exactly how we feel.

I agree Rob, and Mr B, you are very good with words, you have summed it up, I'm so pleased too, we took the plunge and are here experiencing New Zealand. I don't think life anywhere can ever be a complete bed of roses, its all what you make it, just strive to make it as good as you can.

Last edited by Marika 38; Apr 10th 2008 at 11:10 am.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

My sister (married with 2.5 kids) in Auckland is coming to Melbourne because she reckons the money/politics is better here. Don't ask me to elaborate and give figures, but they've been there for 8 years and they've come to that decision.
Also, being preggers, she prefers the dry heat here compared to the humidity there.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:33 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would never move somewhere I hadn't been before, but tip my hat to those that have the balls to do so.

And NZ has been great for us. Daughter loves it here, and adores the outside lifestyle. Mind you, we can just see the sea from our front porch. ... ... ... just

She loves going searching for paua shells in Whitireia Park and in Titahi Bay, and we're going to go and see the seals soon in the Wairarapa.

If we rein in our spending some... we can make it financially too

Plus I ****ing *LOVE* my job.

And hubby *LOVES* being able to live his dream too.

OK enough babbling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.