Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Lieutenant Tim O'Donnell

Lieutenant Tim O'Donnell

Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:52 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Lieutenant Tim O'Donnell

We mourn the loss of this young man but praise his courage also. He lived bravely and died with honour to share the free society we believe in beyond our borders. His example is equally humbling and inspiring.

Linky: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4002...s-body-returns
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all
Default Re: Lieutenant Tim O'Donnell

R.I.P

You have to respect those who put themselves in harms way.

A sight we are all too used to in the UK.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Its disapointing that his death (the first for nz) has seen
everyone scurrying about questioning if kiwi troops should be pulled out
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:01 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by colandros
Its disapointing that his death (the first for nz) has seen
everyone scurrying about questioning if kiwi troops should be pulled out
Not being controversial Col, just wondering why you think that is disappointing?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

If there were a pull out as a result of this it would imo make his sacrifce pointless..

He did what he did because he was a proffesional soldier a career he chose and no doubt loved doing (As i did in a time gone by)

Afghanistan debates become very passionate very quickly, People have very strong views on both end of the scales..

People do dangerous jobs in dangerous times.

He chose to defend his country and paid the ultimate price for it a true Hero
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:06 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

His sacrifice probably is pointless, as is, generally considered, the presence of Western troops in the area.
I'm afraid that to try and enforce America's idea of democracy on tribal feudal people is never going to be a screaming success, and for a kiwi to die for US politics seems......pointless.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 3:23 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Not being controversial Col, just wondering why you think that is disappointing?
I dunno what Col's answer is, but it's disappointing to me from both perspectives.

If you disagree with the deployment then why wait for a death before you make a big deal about it?

If you agree with the deployment then why change your position after one death? As Wilester said, he was a soldier doing his job. It shouldn't be a surprise when they get injured or killed.

Despite the fact this is a polarised issue, I don't have a strong position. The only thing I think is regretful is that the soldiers don't have a clear mission objective and are stuck there pending political convenience. I have no doubt that as soon as they pull out, the local politicians, soldiers and religious leaders will revert straight back to their tribal infighting.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I will post one comment and will not get dragged into debate over this.

Wars are not won by the first side to kill an enemy soldier.
If the current line of "pull out because we've lost a man" thinking
was applied through history the world would be a very different place today
and it is a smack in the face for those who have fought in previous conflicts
for a cause they believed was just.

Dont cheapen his death by pointlessly argueing about it on here