Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Licence to work as an Electrician

Licence to work as an Electrician

Old Jun 16th 2014, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

wirralians is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Licence to work as an Electrician

About to start looking for work in NZ as an electrician. I'm finding it difficult to understand the procedure for getting licenced. I am a fully qualified Electrical Technician with all the relevant qualifications. Has anyone been through the process who can give me some guidance. Thanks.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 7:12 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Licence to work as an Electrician

Hi and welcome to BE

might be worth having a read through here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...ealand-797950/

if not use the advanced search function above
Old Jun 20th 2014, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wirralians
About to start looking for work in NZ as an electrician. I'm finding it difficult to understand the procedure for getting licenced. I am a fully qualified Electrical Technician with all the relevant qualifications. Has anyone been through the process who can give me some guidance. Thanks.
You need to register with the EWRB.

Home | Electrical Workers Registration Board

From what I remember, you pay a fee & send in all your documents. The board will look at your academic qualifications, trade qualifications and work experience etc then reply with a list of stuff you need to do in order to get the registration.
Essentially to practice in NZ you should have professional registration, however in reality many many trades people are being employed retrospectively - especially in Christchurch. Lots are being offered jobs from overseas without supplying the registration certificate, just because the skills are such in demand. The powers that be know this is going on, but turn a blind eye as it suits.
However, it is unlikely that a job will be paid at a high rate. You will only be paid the bottom of the scale until you have "proved" yourself. You can work towards getting the registration when you are here.

Be careful with Immigration visas. If you are going for something more permanent and are claiming for a shortage skill in this area the Immigration criteria states you will need professional registration, so it may be wise to go the temporary work visa route instead as this is secured on the basis of a job offer so Immigration don't impose the same caveats.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 7:49 am
Account Closed

calrossi is an unknown quantity at this point

Get in touch with Bishman Electrical Contractors in Auckland. They will more than likely give you a start. Then as the other op says you can work through your registration process. Usually the regs exam then a practical exam. If you are a spark it will be a doddle, so no sweat.
As the the guy above states, you will probably start bottom of pile as a TA, paid about $22 an hour I think. But once youve got your ticket transfered doors open, depends where you want to be
best of luck
Old Jul 13th 2014, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

wirralians is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly, thank you all for your replies and I apologise for the lateness in replying.
We cannot submit an expression of interest without an offer of employment. A job offer would give us 145 points. Should I have my qualifications assessed by NZQA before I start applying for jobs or will it be worth applying before I do this.