Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Level of Schooling

Level of Schooling

Old May 2nd 2007, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of
Default Re: Level of Schooling

Originally Posted by julesnye
I've just read an 'An Interview with ... SarahB in New Zealand ' and she says that

"having spoken to British friends who’ve moved here they say that their children are now very much behind their UK counterparts even after having been here a relatively short time. Several people have said that to me."

Does anyone know about this or can confirm or refute this comment?

I personally haven't heard anything other that what she has stated above so cant really comment. What I'm concerned about, is one of the main factors for us emigrating to NZ is so that our daughters will have a better life, education and be able to live where they want( well almost).

I know they go to school longer, until their nineteen or soemthing like that.
In a nutshell NZ education is poor. If you want a degree and doubt that you can hack it in the UK then go to Uni in NZ. Still most of the population of Prosiac Land seem to be working in the UK at present?

Burt
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burt Badger
In a nutshell NZ education is poor. If you want a degree and doubt that you can hack it in the UK then go to Uni in NZ. Still most of the population of Prosiac Land seem to be working in the UK at present?

Burt
Ha ha!
That's why you went to NZ. Doubted you could get a degree in UK!
Did you also fail to hack it in NZ! Obviously it didn't work out- but why blame NZ?
You must have left UK because it didn't provide what you were looking for- or hoping for- NZ didn't provide what you were looking for or hoping for. Common denominator-You!
Don't blame the country. You will find success and contentment somewhere.
Don't try and dissuade others with your jaundiced subjective views, Just give them the FACTS as they applied to you and allow them to make up their own minds.
Jennie
Old May 3rd 2007, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
Hi I have been in the UK education system for 16 years and I am a qualified teacher of Adults. I brought over my 4 children in 2005 to Rotorua, the education system here is at least two years behind the uk. We were lucky as in England our children went to a very good school with 97% of children going on to further education in year 11, that figure for Rotorua is approximately 30%. Because NZ is so behind they have not caught on to the fact that education is important! If u can imagine, what life was like in the 70's in the Uk, where kids go to the local school, no matter how or what they taught, that is how my experience of what education is like here. We r returning to the Uk in July 07, and one of the main factors in our decision is the education.
I think this has a lot to do with where you settled.
Rotorua is one of the poorer areas of NZ and it's education statistics are below average.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose Rotorua?

Kip

Last edited by Kippers; May 3rd 2007 at 12:21 am.
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:45 am
Just Joined

to return or not will become famous soon enough

Burt
True. Am a mature undergraduate student here in NZ and if I wanted to study in the UK I would not be able to enter a university without prep courses etc. Also looking around my younger peers... 'how did they manage to enter a university??'
Old May 3rd 2007, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mazi
SUMMARISE the headline????? To what? 'The'?

(Not having a go at you, donnaf, I like you but that's quite scary if that really is what they have to do!)
I probably didn't make myself clear - I was talking about homework. In the UK they would bring home a sheet of literacy and a sheet of maths once or twice a week. It wasn't particularly stimulating. In NZ my daughter has homework almost every night which varies between maths, literacy etc but one example was that they watch an international news item / read an international newspaper, discuss with a parent and summarise. A couple of week ago my daughter's summary was about how global warming is affecting the tourist industry in Switzerland - I'm happy with that!

Ps I like you too, Mazi xxx
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

currytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kippers
I think this has a lot to do with where you settled.
Rotorua is one of the poorer areas of NZ and it's education statistics are below average.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose Rotorua?

Kip
Is there any part of EP which says how the the different areas are in terms of income/education, etc? maybe that is hoping for too much? but it would be a great help in deciding where to visit on a preliminary trip?
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

there is a site which gives the decile scores for each school.Cant remember which.
This being their rating.
I've attached last years spreadsheet, I hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: xls
directory-schools-web.xls (1.08 MB, 392 views)
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

currytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nicecurrytiffin is just really nice

there is a site which gives the decile scores for each school.Cant remember which.
This being their rating.
I've attached last years spreadsheet, I hope it helps.
Alas! cannot open this file: I have an Apple Mac and it does not do Excel...any other way to include the info? thanks
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by currytiffin
Is there any part of EP which says how the the different areas are in terms of income/education, etc? maybe that is hoping for too much? but it would be a great help in deciding where to visit on a preliminary trip?
Try this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=decile

Kip
Old May 3rd 2007, 11:47 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Burt
Thats not my experience. I have attended uni in NZ but not the UK, so can only judge the comparison in quality mainly from what UK employers thought. And they seemed ever so happy to give me a job based on my NZ education, even without even knowing the name of my university.

Southerner

ps --For such an important topic, there are some very broad and sweeping statements being made. Can somebody please explain in what way the schools here are 2 years behind the UK, and why in a nutshell NZ education is poor.
Old May 3rd 2007, 11:58 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

We're very happy with our kids education in NZ. Can't compare it to the UK's, because we have not experienced that first hand.

We have used Montessori preschools, and they are now in an ex private (integrated) junior school which I think might be rated decile 10.

We live in an education based city, with a real traditional and scottish emphasis on good education for all, and my observation is that there just don't seem to be any bad schools around. This means there is very little if any zoning, and thankfully the hassle of where one should live based on schools is not a big thing here.

The kids' cousins in the UK have had to sit entrance exams, their families have had to rent in particular streets, and attempt nightmarish commuting to get the education they want, something we take for granted where we are now.
Old May 4th 2007, 6:42 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I have absolutely no problems with the education either, Im more than happy with it.
My kids have never been happier and it's fantastic to see them actually wanting to go to school.
They are being taught to be confident contributers, they're happy and active and that's good enough for me.
Don't know about the uni's yet but my middle son will no doubt be sampling them when it's time for him to leave school.
Old May 4th 2007, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Level of Schooling

okay try this link then:-

http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?...id=6434&data=l

sorry that they are all excel

I've attached a shareware program called icexcel which converts the excel spread sheets to mac workbook format.
You just need to rename the extension to a .dmg from .avi, not sur eif this willl work for you but it might help.
Regards
Jules
Attached Files
File Type: avi
icExcel_2.2.avi (2.27 MB, 47 views)
Old May 6th 2007, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

okay try this link then:-

http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?...id=6434&data=l

sorry that they are all excel

I've attached a shareware program called icexcel which converts the excel spread sheets to mac workbook format.
You just need to rename the extension to a .dmg from .avi, not sur eif this willl work for you but it might help.
Regards
Jules
hey, thank you for this: very helpful shareware, and useful site. We are going out for a visit this month and will have a good look then as far as we can!
Old May 11th 2007, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

backdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nice

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
I agree with the above post very much. In Canada, our kids started at four, but went for half days and for the next year too. Then, after these two years of kindergarten, they started full days. Here in NZ, they go full days from their fifth birthday. You can put the small ones in Kindy, but you will have to pay.
We are from Canada. Our youngest missed the Ontario start date by 7 days! Now we have to wait until Feb for school to start again! The poor kid will not know what to do all day!

Did your oldest have to repeat a grade? Our eldest is 9, born Oct 97. She will be finished the 4th grade here. I am just trying to prepare her if she has to repeat. Also, we may come back to Canada in 2 years. Did you keep up the french? I don't want her to be behind if she comes home.

Thanks,

Nishka

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.