Wikiposts

letter boxes

Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:16 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default letter boxes

ok so the postman doesn't take the extra 20ft it would need to put mail through a letter box in the front door. No we have to have a post box at the start of the land (bottom of small drive for us). So how on earth are we to keep the post dry? any tips on good rain proof letter boxes are is it just a case of another little quirk of living in NZ
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:32 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: letter boxes

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
ok so the postman doesn't take the extra 20ft it would need to put mail through a letter box in the front door. No we have to have a post box at the start of the land (bottom of small drive for us). So how on earth are we to keep the post dry? any tips on good rain proof letter boxes are is it just a case of another little quirk of living in NZ
Ours is at the end of the right of way so it's quite a trek out there. I would probably stump up for a good quality one with a decent sized cavity.

I so love the UK way of the post through the door. Even when I lived on a third floor flat the post and the paper came through the door.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:45 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Tough one MrsF.

Whichever box you choose , you have to rely on the postperson actually putting the post into the box in it's entirely. What we've seen and experienced is that often it is partway sticking out and so subject to the elements. I once had what was obviously a calendar folded into 3 and then stuffed partway out in the drizzle.

From this, I have just decided that a MEGA LARGE postbox with a huge slit and a canopy over the top of that is the way to go. <nods head at the idea >
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, wet and snail chewed mail is the bane of my life and particularly horrible when you get sodden wet bithday cards with photos and the like enclosed. I think the only way around it is to get a PO Box at the Post Shop

You have to check out the post office regulations with regards to standards required for your letterbox.

It's not suffice to whack up a box it has to be the right height and have the right amount of spring in the opening. I got a letter from the Post Office telling me mine was not of the right standard and was apparently impeding Mrs Postie from doing her job properly as she had to stop and get off her bike to deliver my mail.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Just in case you think I am kidding, I had no idea until we were threatened with having our mail withheld:

http://www.nzpost.co.nz/home/receivi...specifications
Old Jun 17th 2013, 1:01 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Ye gods Bo ! It beggars belief, oh, that's right, we're in New Zealand. Oh I better admit right now I didn't read the link. Just sympathising with your post.

Hey, that's an unintentional pun, honest !

I had no idea mail boxes could be so traumatic. 'I want my letterbox back' is one of my whines in NZ. You know, a proper one in the effing door. None of this miniature chicken coop in the fence business.

We purchased our mail box last year from the d.i.y. Mega Store that is Mitre 10. This was so the carpenter could cut a hole for it in the new fence he had built for us. I just assumed it would be ok. No complaints so far.

Except for some comedy dvd's my husband had ordered from Amazon arrived yesterday. I'm glad I fetched them out of the mail box at lunchtime as it poured with rain all yesterday afternoon.

One postal operative had the intelligence to put a larger than average envelope around the back of the house.

However, I too have had my share of soggy mail.

What's wrong with having it all on the floor behind the front door when you walk in so you can tread on it ? That was ok, that worked.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 1:25 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it's quite a good idea to have the larger opening at the front rather than the back. It means the postie is more likely to put large post in the box properly. I have one of those because ours are built onto a fence and our post is not often wet. The Herald sometimes need a dry out though.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 8:39 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: letter boxes

Originally Posted by jmh
Actually it's quite a good idea to have the larger opening at the front rather than the back.
Personal preference really isn't it?
Originally Posted by jmh
The Herald sometimes need a dry out though.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:10 pm
Old Jerk

kaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nice

If we all had slots in our front doors there would be nothing for the vandals to damage at the weekends...!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Blooming things have a life off their own, eh? Out of site at the end of the driveway misbehaving when they cant be seen, it seems quite a lot of them are prone to playing with the traffic and jumping out in front of fast moving cars.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 10:04 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaihoe
If we all had slots in our front doors there would be nothing for the vandals to damage at the weekends...!!!
Oh ok, fair's fair !!
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 10:55 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

this thread has gone weird
Old Jul 4th 2013, 1:29 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
this thread has gone weird
Though, this being BE, it's all relative .
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

kiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond repute

You also have to remember some of the unfriendly dogs that people have roaming their properties.
If the postie had to negotiate them to reach a letter box in the door it could be messy.
Pete
Old Jul 11th 2013, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Our letter box is useless, enclosed at the front, totally open at the back, consequently if the wind and rain is at a certain angle everything gets soggy - the amount of post and flyers etc which have become paper-mache I have lost count. At least a company from which I ordered a book from recently had the sense to put it in a sealed plastic bag inside the large brown envelope before posting, as the envelope had all but disintegrated by the time I retrieved it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.