Reload this Page >

Lets get this show on the road

Lets get this show on the road

Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:56 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Lets get this show on the road

Originally Posted by pobsnpooky
We have no family out there but my husbands job is on the long term shortage list and we have plenty of points so its just a case of finding a job and getting out there...haha, simple?!
How many points do you have without a job offer please?

Is this the skill you will be using to migrate
Automotive Electrician (321111)
Just getting a feel for your application & it will help those in the Rotorua area.

Why Rotavagas out of interest?
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

PobnPooky is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bevs, thats the skill and as both of us have degrees and under 30 we have about 200 points which is good.

Part of our interest in NZ is the volcanic activity and where better to experience that than Rotorua? The smell is a bit hideous but id be interested in what the locals make of it. Im very interested in renewable energy and love the idea of living near geothermal activity and potentially using it to heat a home as well as bathe in it...mmmm.

The other reason is were not big city folks but like keeping our options open so decided to stick with north island and in the middle, at least to begin with.

Might seem like superficial reasons but to be honest we dont know many places in nz apart from Hamilton which i wasnt overly excited about.

Out of interest, does anyone own a horse over there? I was wondering how the costs rate against the uk costs. I know a lot has been mentioned about other costs being high so just asking out of interest.

I am concerned about the cost of living issue. We dont havemuch money, dont own a house and i know we wont earn mega bucks over there so this is one of the main things we need to talk about before we make the move.

Thanks for all the comments so far though, its helping a lot. This forum is brilliant and im so impressed at the wealth of knowledge and willingness to share.

Robbi
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:51 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PobnPooky
Hi Bevs, thats the skill and as both of us have degrees and under 30 we have about 200 points which is good.
Wow that's a lot of points without a job offer.
Can you give a run down on how you get to that amount, it may help others who are looking to fill in their EOI's.

Out of interest, does anyone own a horse over there? I was wondering how the costs rate against the uk costs. I know a lot has been mentioned about other costs being high so just asking out of interest.
My friend has a horse here, I know she says that it a lot cheaper than where she was from, not UK. I'll see if she will pop on and give her costs or just give me her cost run down.. She does treat her horse as a princess though so she probably spends more than she needs to.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 6:36 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Robbi
Ok so my friend came back with this:
grazing costs anything from $25 to $50 a week and then you add costs depending on the horse etc. Farriers cost approx. $40-50 and you need them approx. every 5 weeks (Again depending on the horse). If you're going to hard feed the horse you add those costs (Depending on what you feed your horse). Hay in the Wellington region costs $8 dollars per bale.

then of course you have all the tack and blankets etc on top.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

PobnPooky is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks MrsFychan, thats great i dont have no here so will price it up as its a long term dream and i love riding in nz.

With regards to the points, i did the calculation thing with my husband the other day and it came out at 200 but ive just done it again to list everything and its come out at 130. Nevermind, still over 100 which is the main thing. We both have degrees, his in electronis and automotive engineering and has worked in the industry for 8 years. I work in Admin and Logistics and have done for 5 years. We dont have kids, are under 30 and are in good health so thats how its worked out at that. No idea how it would change if we had kids and were older though, will cross that bridge if we come to it.

My sister is going for residency soon as she moved to christchurch a few weeks ago but is there on a temp visa at the moment. If she gets that then we may get more points

Argh my brain is all messed up already! This is going to be an interesting ride

Robbi
Old Aug 31st 2012, 11:44 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I've tried to calculate for you based on what you have written using automotice electrical occupation which I am assuming he has the matching quals for per NZ standards.

Age 20-29 = 30 points
Main applicant degree = 50 points
Bonus Absolute shortage = 10 points
Partners degree = 20 points
Work Exp 6+ years =30 points
Absolute shortage bonus = 15 points

155 total

Does that look right to you?

I sometimes wonder if the points indicator has a mind of it's own.

If you have over 140 points then you would get an automatic pull from the pool.
If uder, then we need to look at past selections and think if you need a job offer or not.

Don't let your brain frazzle though. You'll get there.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 6:44 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to the points, i did the calculation thing with my husband the other day and it came out at 200 but ive just done it again to list everything and its come out at 130.

Looks like BEVS has had a good go at working out your true total dependent on how long you've worked. I'm wondering if you counted full points for both of your qualifications and that's how you original total was so high... .
No idea how it would change if we had kids and were older though, will cross that bridge if we come to it.

You get fewer points the older you are. Kids don't affect the total, just the amount it costs, extra medicals and plane tickets etc
Robbi