Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Lets get this show on the road

Lets get this show on the road

Old Aug 27th 2012, 8:55 am
Just Joined

PobnPooky is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Lets get this show on the road

My husband and I are ready for a new challenge...New Zealand. We have contacted immigration advisers NZ Immigration Concepts with a view to pricing the move up and getting the ball rolling. We have no family out there but my husbands job is on the long term shortage list and we have plenty of points so its just a case of finding a job and getting out there...haha, simple?!

So first question, we are hoping to move to the Rotorua area, whats employment like round there? And secondly, has anyone used this immigration company before?

Thanks

Just the two of us, two hauty cats, Sebastian and Fleur and a whirlwind puppy, Dietrich, looking to start anew in the land of ferns.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:33 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lets get this show on the road

Hi and welcome to BE.

there is a dedicated NZ forum for all your questions and queries so see you over there.

On another point, most people find they can do the process themselves and not use an agent, saves time and money. If you have filled in the EOI and have sufficient points to be selected and you have no medical problems an agent is not really required.

Pop over to http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83 and I'm sure we can help you smooth the way
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:47 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both, the forum is a great wealth of knowledge and I'm already learning alot.

Robbi
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PobnPooky View Post
My husband and I are ready for a new challenge...New Zealand. We have contacted immigration advisers NZ Immigration Concepts with a view to pricing the move up and getting the ball rolling. We have no family out there but my husbands job is on the long term shortage list and we have plenty of points so its just a case of finding a job and getting out there...haha, simple?!

So first question, we are hoping to move to the Rotorua area, whats employment like round there? And secondly, has anyone used this immigration company before?

Thanks

Just the two of us, two hauty cats, Sebastian and Fleur and a whirlwind puppy, Dietrich, looking to start anew in the land of ferns.
Hi there and a very warm welcome to BE.

I'm moving your thread over to our New Zealand forums...it will give our members living in NZ an opportunity to welcome you to the forums.

The people who post in the NZ forums are a great crowd...I'm sure you'll get lots of help and useful tips about moving to NZ. I hope you enjoy being part of our cyber community of British Expats.

Once again...welcome.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 2:00 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome!

...and ditch the advisor/save the money...
Old Aug 30th 2012, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks, Simonsi, Its scary doing it ourselves but will look into it as we are on a very tight budget.

And thanks to Jerseygirl, I havent used many forums and am just getting to grips with this .

Robbi
Old Aug 30th 2012, 6:54 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be fine guys. All you need to do is share a wee bit and we'll all help where we can, so put the wallets away for now. You may well find you can do this yourselves.

So.

Let's get this show on the road.

Spill
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Just adding my welcome.
I'd also suggest looking seriously at doing the visa process yourself, if you are able to achieve a good number of points on the EOI & you don't anticipate any problems, ie medical issues, then the process is generally a bit time consuming but not difficult. Loads of advice on here too, after all most of us have gone through the process.
There are several of us on the forum who live in the Rotorua area & who can give you info about the area. It'd be easier to comment on the availability of work if we knew what kind of work you're looking for.
Good luck with it all.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:17 am
Just Joined

happy camper is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd advise doing it without an agent, me and my partner are currently using an agent, which is around 3 x the cost of the actual visa, and I cannot understand why it is so expensive. All they seem to have done is fill in the EOI and ITA for us, which I am quite sure I would've been capable of doing myself. We have gathered all our own evidence/police reports/medicals which seems to be the time consuming bit anyway.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happy camper View Post
I'd advise doing it without an agent, me and my partner are currently using an agent, which is around 3 x the cost of the actual visa, and I cannot understand why it is so expensive. All they seem to have done is fill in the EOI and ITA for us, which I am quite sure I would've been capable of doing myself. We have gathered all our own evidence/police reports/medicals which seems to be the time consuming bit anyway..

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 30th 2012 at 10:52 am. Reason: yup
Old Aug 30th 2012, 11:14 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Quotes I've seen on here are around £2-3000 and I think that is exclusive of visa costs. Huge amount for what they do. Happy Camper has hit the nail on the head-filling in forms, you still have to collect the documents and go for the medicals [they can't do that for you!]
Have a look at what it entails and you'll find that it really isn't that difficult. It requires organisation and an understanding of what needs doing when and why. Ask on here if you need help- we don't bite
Old Aug 30th 2012, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Ha, ha. Sorry Bevs

Nearly fell off my chair when I read that.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi all, thanks for the offers of help, think we're going to need it! I'm up for doing it ourselves, I wasn't sure what was involved but I can cope with filling forms in and everything else will go on a spread sheet (I'm a total geek and love a good spread sheet) so I think I'll be organised enough to get it done.

Workwise - we're both in Motorsport now so that's where our skills are. My husband, Gaz, works in Formula 1 at the moment but hopes to do something less hectic such as automotive electronics or something in that vein. I do admin and logistics for a race team and, again, hope for something a little more relaxed, probably an admin role although I'd love to do something a little more creative. I also sing so would look at doing singing on the side.

What is the entertainment scene like out there? There's a lot of emphasis on being outdoors and doing sporty things but there must be some people that like to be in or go and see bands or shows. What about dancing? I know I'm going a bit off track here but I've been angling towards becoming a performer over here for a while and I just wonder if it's something that could also work in NZ? We are outdoorsy, doing off roading and dog walking as well as camping etc but there's a definate showgirl side of me that will need an outlet.

Interested in hearing your views as you can't learn enough about a place in a short visit and although we love the country I'd like to know more about it ahead of moving there, not that there's much that would put us off.

I'm rambling...I'm going to be quiet now and look forward to reading your comments. Thanks so much!
Robbi
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:50 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck View Post
Ha, ha. Sorry Bevs

Nearly fell off my chair when I read that.
Just was tidying the quoties. Made your post look mentals
Immy agents can charge big money for old rope a lot of the time TBH. It's OK if folk are uncomfortable with paperwork but in all honesty the would-be migrant still has to do all the legwork and collect the data themselves. So, if it's straightforward they end up just paying for form filling.
However, if there is a medical prob or maybe a big smelly blemish on one's character it might be better to use a quality , tried and tested immy agent. I personally prefer to recommend one or two that I know have done good quality work.
Despite the new NZ immy agent register which is meant to regulate the industry , there is still some very shonky practice out there and a fair share of sharks too as Ellenarosemary can testify too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.