Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

To Let or To Sell ... That Is The Question

To Let or To Sell ... That Is The Question

Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:31 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To Let or To Sell ... That Is The Question

Comments more than advice required really please.

We have a lump sum of money to take to NZ with us. But we have a house which we have lived in for 4 years and are in the process of doing/tarting it up. Because of our timings and our neighbour from Hell we have reservations about leaving it empty if we put it up for sale when we go.

It will be Winter, always a crap time to sell, particularly here in the South West - not to mention cold, wet etc.

The house is approx 140 years old and has all the problems one would expect in a building of this age. Potentially, to let it on a 6 month tenancy could result in numerous payments out of the rental income for tenant demands!

Ideally we want the capital released for our new start in NZ. To get round the "Wonky Donkey" unhinged neighbour we can have alarm installed (wouldn't stop a fire though?!) We could install professional housesitters (wouldn't stop neighbour breaking them down for info about us and our whereabouts etc?!)

We are not in a position where we want to keep the property incase we want to return. I would say our first choice would be to sell it, but if it sat empty for months on end over the winter, with strange neighbour and only one person to rely on to sporadically check up on it for us, maybe we'd be better letting it until the Summer?

Hmmm?
Old Oct 13th 2006, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To Let or To Sell ... That Is The Question

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Comments more than advice required really please.

We have a lump sum of money to take to NZ with us. But we have a house which we have lived in for 4 years and are in the process of doing/tarting it up. Because of our timings and our neighbour from Hell we have reservations about leaving it empty if we put it up for sale when we go.

It will be Winter, always a crap time to sell, particularly here in the South West - not to mention cold, wet etc.

The house is approx 140 years old and has all the problems one would expect in a building of this age. Potentially, to let it on a 6 month tenancy could result in numerous payments out of the rental income for tenant demands!

Ideally we want the capital released for our new start in NZ. To get round the "Wonky Donkey" unhinged neighbour we can have alarm installed (wouldn't stop a fire though?!) We could install professional housesitters (wouldn't stop neighbour breaking them down for info about us and our whereabouts etc?!)

We are not in a position where we want to keep the property incase we want to return. I would say our first choice would be to sell it, but if it sat empty for months on end over the winter, with strange neighbour and only one person to rely on to sporadically check up on it for us, maybe we'd be better letting it until the Summer?

Hmmm?
Sell. Simple.Put it on the market now and get rid. Surely it will be complicated if you still have business to see to here in GB. When time comes to move,the agents will see that the money is forwarded etc.
Sell. Cut all ties and join the revolution,baby. Evening,by the way. Sell.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danny.f
Sell. Simple.Put it on the market now and get rid. Surely it will be complicated if you still have business to see to here in GB. When time comes to move,the agents will see that the money is forwarded etc.
Sell. Cut all ties and join the revolution,baby. Evening,by the way. Sell.
yep def. SELL SELL SELL! if you really want income from rental buy something in a city that would let easily- eg. a city with students / business people.Oxford./ Cambridge/Brighton/ Southampton are the Location location channel 4s advice.
Helen
Old Oct 15th 2006, 8:45 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Sell. Drop the price, lose a bit of profit, but it stops it sitting dead.
SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL
Old Oct 15th 2006, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Sell. Drop the price, lose a bit of profit, but it stops it sitting dead.
SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL
If you are worried about keeping it because of the security, rent,tenants and all that stuff then at least by selling it you are not worried about it. If you are only wanting to hang on for 6 months in case you hate where you are going then lock it up and forget tenants- get a friend in to sort the mail a couple of times a week and leave it at that.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 9:08 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

i would sell - at least the viewers you meet over winter are the hard core serious purchasers... not fair weather window shoppers!!
Old Oct 15th 2006, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by dreamfish
i would sell - at least the viewers you meet over winter are the hard core serious purchasers... not fair weather window shoppers!!
I think the first choice was always to sell - really would rather have the money in NZ as a lump sum apart from the maintenance and security issues! But thinking if it doesn't sell quickly, which in Winter it may not, would we delay leaving rather than leave it. But there's lots of other options to resolve that as some have suggested.

There's a huge part of idleness involved of the huge, daunting task of all the decorating and keeping it nice whilst it's on the market!! Not easy with the 4 sprogs and 2 dogs, but if it's to get us to where we realy want to be then what more motivation do we need to crack on?!

There are just never enough hours in the day, waht with all the daytime telly, Phil and Fern, Jeremy whatshisname, countdown, the lying on the sofa drinking gin, the chauffering kids, work, cooking, cleaning etc, etc. Am trying to convince hubby to give up work and apply himself to decorating the house! Would have thought he'd jump at the opportunity!!
Old Oct 15th 2006, 9:30 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

tell me about it

the dilemma we are in is that i just *know* immigration are going to comment on my BMI and may drag their feet... so do i put the house on the market now, or wait and risk it not selling by the time we need it to should a job come up, and if it sells where do we live (2kids too).... nightmare.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 9:35 pm

tell me about it

the dilemma we are in is that i just *know* immigration are going to comment on my BMI and may drag their feet... so do i put the house on the market now, or wait and risk it not selling by the time we need it to should a job come up, and if it sells where do we live (2kids too).... nightmare.
With all the cash generated by the sale could you not stay in a classy hotel like the celebs?! Take over the penthouse suite of The Ritz?! Or what about go on your hols first? We just talked about taking a holiday in Canada on the way over - until the grown-up voice of reason concluded that we should be saving every penny for when we're out there!! Especially with the wages being what they are!!

If you sell too early, take a fixed term 6 month rental, don't pay 6 months upfront and if you get to go earlier the rental agent may find someone to take the property before the end of your contract. Especially knowing your emmigrating to the other side of the world and could cancel your standing order for the rent! If not, the money's gone, yes you've lost a bit, but you've got everything in place and security?
Old Oct 15th 2006, 9:42 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

I think the first choice was always to sell - really would rather have the money in NZ as a lump sum apart from the maintenance and security issues! But thinking if it doesn't sell quickly, which in Winter it may not, would we delay leaving rather than leave it. But there's lots of other options to resolve that as some have suggested.
There's a huge part of idleness involved ....

...Am trying to convince hubby to give up work and apply himself to decorating the house! Would have thought he'd jump at the opportunity!!
well i had a gd afternoon tarting up the garden - just been looking at a temp job over winter ..... lab tech - yawn, hence bad typing - glass in other hand.....
Old Oct 15th 2006, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

tell me about it

Easy. Sell and go on a diet!

K.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 10:36 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157
K.
That's what I said to the wife and she almost decked me :scared: :scared:
Old Oct 15th 2006, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by kt0157

K.
You very naughty!!! (Kerching, back of the net etc, etc!) Could be BMI the other way and super skinny, Lardy just being a completely misleading name? Could be overactive thyroid? Am sure Mr L will take it with good humour - he very, very nice man!!

Ok, will adopt city slicker type voice and boom, "SELL, SELL, SELL!!" Followed in equally loud voice with "WHAT'S THE TIME IN TOKYO, NEW YORK ...?" In very public place!
Old Oct 15th 2006, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
That's what I said to the wife and she almost decked me :scared: :scared:
I went on a diet. Lost 50kg. Was a right fat bastard. Not now. It's great! Can recommend it

K.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 10:43 pm
you dewty owld maan!

You very naughty!!! (Kerching, back of the net etc, etc!) Could be BMI the other way and super skinny, Lardy just being a completely misleading name? Could be overactive thyroid? Am sure Mr L will take it with good humour - he very, very nice man!!

Ok, will adopt city slicker type voice and boom, "SELL, SELL, SELL!!" Followed in equally loud voice with "WHAT'S THE TIME IN TOKYO, NEW YORK ...?" In very public place!
yes I can defend myself but I think it was not intended to reply to me..... anyway it is MrsL who has the slight width problem, on account of being under-tall, and all spun out around the middle, and having only recently finished breast feeding (no it was not me!!!!).....
any road up I must get more drink in to drown my sorrows......
cya in the bar........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.