Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Let me get my child out of this country!!!

Let me get my child out of this country!!!

Old Mar 28th 2007, 5:38 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let me get my child out of this country!!!

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
And that is very much what NZ is like today. It still amazes me what people leave in their back garden and on their paths. How many places in the UK can you leave your shoes on your door step over night?
Gill
yep, we managed to leave our hire car open (hatchback boot open and doors open wide) overnight a couple of times when we first arrived.....DOH!!!!!
Still lock the steering on the car when stop it as a habit, probably dont need to mind.......
Old Mar 28th 2007, 7:15 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
yep, we managed to leave our hire car open (hatchback boot open and doors open wide) overnight a couple of times when we first arrived.....DOH!!!!!
Still lock the steering on the car when stop it as a habit, probably dont need to mind.......

Perhaps you do need to:

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top...eft-rates.html

G
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
We have left toys out in the front garden here. I just thought about whether those same toys would still be in the garden where we lived back in UK... and the answer is most definately no. They wouldve disappeared within hours and thats a fact. Yes, we live in a village here but even when we got here and stayed in the middle of Auckland I remember talking to my parents on the phone and telling them that "hey people leave things out in their gardens here".

...and I'm still costantly amazed by the kids and teenagers here, about how nice they are. I wonder if I'll ever got used to it. If I pass a group of teenagers I still look away or down and make sure I dont attract attention to myself.... then they amaze me by saying hello.... my first thought is.... what do they want?.... they want to say hello!

You do generalise a lot. I live in the UK. We dont lock our doors at night often, never lock the car. We have about £300 worth of baby toys in the garden and about another £1000 of wood furniture as well as expensive potted trees and bay trees. I can walk down to my local shops and it will take me an hour to get home as EVERYONE talks.

At our local park, which is clean, absolutly stunning and has a wonderful original band stand in the middle, my little NZ dog runs around with lots of little girls and boys that dont swear/stab me or steal from me. THe little girl next door makes cakes every sunday and brings them in to us and to the old man next door again, she plays with my daughter and nothing bad happens.

So..... my point is, that not all of the UK is bad. Dont generalise too much. I would not and could not live in a place you describe but you call this place the UK, which is where I live.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:08 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lexylou
You do generalise a lot. I live in the UK. We dont lock our doors at night often, never lock the car. We have about £300 worth of baby toys in the garden and about another £1000 of wood furniture as well as expensive potted trees and bay trees. I can walk down to my local shops and it will take me an hour to get home as EVERYONE talks.

At our local park, which is clean, absolutly stunning and has a wonderful original band stand in the middle, my little NZ dog runs around with lots of little girls and boys that dont swear/stab me or steal from me. THe little girl next door makes cakes every sunday and brings them in to us and to the old man next door again, she plays with my daughter and nothing bad happens.

So..... my point is, that not all of the UK is bad. Dont generalise too much. I would not and could not live in a place you describe but you call this place the UK, which is where I live.
Where do you live?

Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Perthshire, Scotland.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

and the biggest crime in the town over the last few months was a bunch of kids scratched a car as they went past. It made the local paper and people talked about it for weeks.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:19 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Perthshire, Scotland.
Ahh. I see

Im not too sure if Perthshire is like the majority of the UK then.

I have lived in Cornwall, Hampshire and now Nottinghamhsire and neither of those places are like you describe Perthshire. It sounds lovely and pretty much a dying society in the UK IMHO
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

well i have no reason to make it up. I can live in Australia, New Zealand, and of course the UK (married to a kiwi) but we live here for now so its not like I am stuck here and trying to make the most of it.

I think most of the north of Scotland and rural places all over the UK are like this to be honest. I have friends in rural places all over the UK and they dont have any problems.

Its a shame that so many people feel forced out of the UK because of the decline in society. But we should not cut all ties, after all, its where we are from after all.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:03 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have problems where I live in Derbyshire
Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

If you read my post again you will see that I said "where I lived back in UK". I moved in with my partner a few years ago and I didnt like where he lived but didnt have much choice about it. I've never generalised, I was most specific in saying "where I lived" (Not you or anyone else). Your reply is most odd, I never said anything about being stabbed or stolen from... where did that come from? I have never said "all the UK is bad"... I have no idea where you got that from. I normally avoid disagreements on here and wont post a reply but your reply was strange so I have replied to it.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Grayling
I don't have problems where I live in Derbyshire
Thats rubbish

Your in Derbyshire for Gods sake. Thats more than enough of a problem for anyone to deal with

Notts lad
Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Grayling
Wow that is amazing... it does not surprise me at all. The summit on the cashmere hills in Christchurch is a favourite spot for stolen cars to be burnt out.... I even remember a story of when I lived there that the local radio dj who was helping campaign against boy racers had his car stolen by them deliberatly and burnt out. Of course this cant be the same NZ that people on this forum are moving to. That nz has no crime at all.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:12 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
Thats rubbish

Your in Derbyshire for Gods sake. Thats more than enough of a problem for anyone to deal with

Notts lad
I'm still a Forest supporter though...Lived in Radcliffe on Trent for years.

The wife is from Mansfield.

G
Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:14 am
Bitter and twisted

Wow that is amazing... it does not surprise me at all. The summit on the cashmere hills in Christchurch is a favourite spot for stolen cars to be burnt out.... I even remember a story of when I lived there that the local radio dj who was helping campaign against boy racers had his car stolen by them deliberatly and burnt out. Of course this cant be the same NZ that people on this forum are moving to. That nz has no crime at all.

I only responded because of the post about car crime and leaving cars unlocked.....When I rented a car in Christchurch a few years ago I was warned to be careful where I parked and not to leave anything in the car because of the number of car break ins and thefts.

G
Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:17 am
Banned

Of course this cant be the same NZ that people on this forum are moving to. That nz has no crime at all.
Why all the nastyness?

So far you have done 34 posts and pretty much all of them have been negative, aggressive (1 even deleted) or just straight anti NZ

I dont think many people on here are under the illusion that crime doesnt happen in NZ. Of course it does.

However, would you say its at the same level as MOST of the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.