Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

LEFT HANDED GUITAR WANTED

LEFT HANDED GUITAR WANTED

Old Dec 9th 2011, 2:48 am
Just Joined

Wally58 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LEFT HANDED GUITAR WANTED

Hi Is there anyone out there on the North Shore of Auckland got a left handed acoustic guitar they wouldn't mind lending me for a couple of weeks - my friend is coming over from the UK for a holiday and it would be good to have a jam with him but he is left handed and I only have right handed guitars.

Last edited by Wally58; Dec 9th 2011 at 2:53 am.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 3:06 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LEFT HANDED GUITAR WANTED

Originally Posted by Wally58
Hi Is there anyone out there on the North Shore of Auckland got a left handed acoustic guitar they wouldn't mind lending me for a couple of weeks - my friend is coming over from the UK for a holiday and it would be good to have a jam with him but he is left handed and I only have right handed guitars.
Just paint one with left handed paint. It works a treat.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

Don't you just string them the other way round?
Old Dec 9th 2011, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Just paint one with left handed paint. It works a treat.
Hmmm when the brains were being given out you were obviously in the queue

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 9th 2011 at 9:49 pm. Reason: bit OTT.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dorrick
Don't you just string them the other way round?
Not that easy due to width of strings going through slots on the way to the head of the guitar
Old Dec 9th 2011, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

By George, it's you , Amy & squirrel
Old Dec 9th 2011, 8:56 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wally58
Not that easy due to width of strings going through slots on the way to the head of the guitar
If you have more than one guitar, how expensive would it be to get one professionally re-stringed?

I recently had one done in Italy and to my surprise it only cost me about 5 quid in English terms.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 10:02 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
If you have more than one guitar, how expensive would it be to get one professionally re-stringed?

I recently had one done in Italy and to my surprise it only cost me about 5 quid in English terms.
You would need a new nut, not just re-stringing, otherwise the strings are upside down!
Old Dec 9th 2011, 10:04 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Jimi Hendrix was left handed and played right-handed guitars.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 10:07 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
You would need a new nut, not just re-stringing, otherwise the strings are upside down!
Have I been fobbed off with a cheap but not viable option then?

Not left handed myself but son is.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 10:11 pm

Sit down with your guitar - left hand on the fretboard - thick e-string is at the top, thin e-string at the bottom. Now, turn the guitar through 180 degrees so your right hand is on the fretboard - the strings are now upside down! The nut at the top of the fretboard has different width slots to accommodate the different width of strings - this would need to be replaced.

Last edited by sheene; Dec 9th 2011 at 10:15 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Jimi Hendrix was left handed and played right-handed guitars.
So did the guy from 'the beat' - Ok, if you learned that way, impossible if you always had a 'proper' left handed guitar.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 10:25 pm

Sit down with your guitar - left hand on the fretboard - thick e-string is at the top, thin e-string at the bottom. Now, turn the guitar through 180 degrees so your right hand is on the fretboard - the strings are now upside down! The nut at the top of the fretboard has different width slots to accommodate the different width of strings - this would need to be replaced.
I kind of knew that but they made me feel as if a left hander would use the strings that way ... and anybody else I spoke to here - including a music teacher - made it sound as if it was normal. I'm lost now.

Even having said that ........ went to daughter's (she's a right hander starting on the clarinet) PTA meetings with all the teachers. Got to the music one and the conversation went like this:

Teacher_ she's doing very well and concentrates. I have no problems nor objections.

Me - Well that's good because the poor kid is doing it all alone. You are teaching the notes as DO RE MI FA SOL etc. and I can't help her as I learnt them in England as F A C E G B D etc with sharps and flats etc.

Teacher - oh we have sharps and flats and solfeggio etc as well, but if you could teach her your British way that would actually be brilliant. I don't know why the middle school wants the notes in words and it's such a bad habit. Nobody outside of middle school uses this system. If your daughter were to join the band she'd be learning F and B and C.

It was was one of those WTF situations. If nobody uses that system outside of middle school - why is it still in place?????
Old Dec 9th 2011, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I kind of knew that but they made me feel as if a left hander would use the strings that way ... and anybody else I spoke to here - including a music teacher - made it sound as if it was normal. I'm lost now.

Even having said that ........ went to daughter's (she's a right hander starting on the clarinet) PTA meetings with all the teachers. Got to the music one and the conversation went like this:

Teacher_ she's doing very well and concentrates. I have no problems nor objections.

Me - Well that's good because the poor kid is doing it all alone. You are teaching the notes as DO RE MI FA SOL etc. and I can't help her as I learnt them in England as F A C E G B D etc with sharps and flats etc.

Teacher - oh we have sharps and flats and solfeggio etc as well, but if you could teach her your British way that would actually be brilliant. I don't know why the middle school wants the notes in words and it's such a bad habit. Nobody outside of middle school uses this system. If your daughter were to join the band she'd be learning F and B and C.

It was was one of those WTF situations. If nobody uses that system outside of middle school - why is it still in place?????
The strange smell you keep wondering about, that keeps wafting in your direction - that is the bullshit.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 10:39 pm

The strange smell you keep wondering about, that keeps wafting in your direction - that is the bullshit.
So why are they teaching DO RE Mi when we all learnt C and B and F? (or whatever)

Is it because the notes are supposed to sound like the sound of music or something?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.