British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Leaving Presents....help!!?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/leaving-presents-help-844760/)

Chockers1 Oct 9th 2014 8:34 am

Leaving Presents....help!!?!

Hey all,

Leaving for auckland in five days and have a party saturday night and thought hmmmm leaving presents.

Now being a man present isnt something i am great with, does anyone have any cool ideas for gifts for loved ones etc?

Ive sorted a few out with special pictures etc, flowers the usual :)

Thanks

Rob

Persephone Oct 9th 2014 3:02 pm

Re: Leaving Presents....help!!?!

Being female doesn't make it easier, not this one anyway!

I didn't get anyone anything:lol:

Only thing I can think of is maybe some jewellery for those you are particularly close to?? Probably only a female thing though.
My Dad unexpectedly gave me a lovely bracelet at Heathrow when I left which I will treasure forever:wub: Thanks Dad, how to turn me into even more of a blubbering mess!

MrsFychan Oct 9th 2014 8:35 pm

we didn't do leaving presents for those left behind either, had enough to sort out without having to think about that as well.

We do send home photo books every 6 months to my mum as she doesn't really do Skype, MrF's parents do the whole Skype, email and FB thing so we do sometimes feel at a lose as to what to say as we can speak so often.

BEVS Oct 9th 2014 8:37 pm

Nopes. No presents here either.

My old Dad gave me a kiss on my cheek when I was leaving. Wrecked me for the entire flight as he wasn't one for that, ever.

I send over bits of photos and the odd tale of NZ life. Seems to do it.

Snap Shot Oct 9th 2014 10:00 pm

We/I didn't give any leaving presents. It didn't occur to me to do it. Like most others, I/we had enough to do, to think about. We didn't have a leaving party like they do on the t.v. either.

I had learned from B.E. and probably a bit of my own common sense too not to have a great big heaving blubbering goodbye at the airport. My Dad would probably have taken us to the airport otherwise. I didn't want him driving home on the motorway upset and a bit distracted.

We had family breakfast at my Dad's house. Basically my sister and her 2 children came to his house to meet up with my husband and I so we could all have breakfast/brunch together. The taxi came at around midday to take us to the airport to board our one way flight to NZ.

That only works if your family circumstances/dynamics are similar to mine. Also, living 20 odd miles from Heathrow airport helped too.

Again it comes down to circumstance/expectations/personal preference.

Anyway, let's hear about these leaving presents.

j19fmm Oct 10th 2014 3:48 am

I didn't really do leaving gifts either, actually I point blank refused to even say goodbye! Just did a normal coffee and leave type thing. Gave my neighbours a dog sculpture (doggy people) and one of my closest friends gave me a red glass heart that I hang at my bedroom window.
I don't think people really expect much, most realise how busy you are anyway. Photos, nice frames, jewellery. :o

Stormer999 Oct 10th 2014 4:04 am

Bought the rugby lads a jug, threw a leaving party for the neighbors and left my daughter some tears........:(

moving2NZ2013 Oct 11th 2014 2:48 am

We had no party and I didn't buy anyone presents lol moving is expensive enough!:eek:

To be honest everyone got a very quick goodbye as I didn't want any emotion there. Didn't want to deal with a guilt trip.

moving2NZ2013 Oct 11th 2014 2:51 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11433690)
Nopes. No presents here either.

My old Dad gave me a kiss on my cheek when I was leaving. Wrecked me for the entire flight as he wasn't one for that, ever.

I send over bits of photos and the odd tale of NZ life. Seems to do it.

Yeh my dad gave me the biggest hug ever and told me how proud he was of me. Never has he done that. I was a wreck too :( the only person who made me cry.

yorkiebarkid Oct 11th 2014 4:29 pm

We go in November and we are just having a meal I think my leaving gift is there's somewhere to stay when they visit me haha like others have said you have far to much on your mind then what to buy someone. With Facebook and Skype it's not like they need something to remember you by.