Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Leaving NZ - shipping and other advice needed please!

Leaving NZ - shipping and other advice needed please!

Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:06 am
Just Joined

fishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nice
Default Leaving NZ - shipping and other advice needed please!

Hi
Husband and I are probably going to leave Auckland in very early April. He is a citizen of UK and NZ but I only had a residency visa (not PR). However, at the moment (nearly 5 months pregnant) the most important thing is to be home near to family and friends for our first baby. So, although I really like NZ, people, countryside, lifestyle, meeting hubby's cousins...there is something that I just can't get here and that is what I feel I need most at this time in my life.

But...I just don't have a clue where to start! Need to organise flights and shipping and the rest more or less should slot into place (will initially live with parents but start looking from here for somewhere to rent). I actually don't feel like I have not had a chance to enjoy it here, despite the fact it will only have been 10 months when we leave. My thoughts have changed a bit since I became pregnant and it may be irrational but I want to be home.

Any good recommendations for shipping companies?
We shipped our car out here (BMW) - should we ship it back?
Any chance of good flight deals at v beginning of April?

Thanks!
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Leaving NZ - shipping and other advice needed please!

Hi fishpond, sorry to hear you are leaving. Mazi amongst others has made the move back (not to the UK but out of NZ)so it may be worth a pm to her but there is alo the "moving back to UK" forum on this site - I don't know whether anyone could help there but it might be worth asking them the same question (if you haven't already). Good luck with the new arrival
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:46 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

I used Transworld to ship our stuff back (I believe they do cars as well or at least, they are affiliated with a company that does). The price was very good - I don't think it was the cheapest but the service was excellent and the people there have half a brain and do what they say they will. The woman in charge of our shipment was very attentive and even came to my house personally a few times to check things were progressing as planned and also to deliver some extra boxes I needed (and I lived an hour and a half away from their offices in Auckland!). They did actually make a mistake and sent all my books early to the UK (I had packed up half the house initially as we were trying to sell and wanted to clear some clutter). The boxes of books were supposed to stay in their warehouse in Auckland but mistakenly got put in a container. Anyway they were apologetic in the extreme, didn't charge for that shipment or any storage, reduced the cost of our insurance on the whole consignment and took some money off the shipping cost of the main shipment. Despite this slight mistake on their part I would still recommend them as I have a lot more time for a company that will admit and rectify a mistake than one which offers zero customer service, shirks its responsibilities and tries to deny or get out of its errors.

If you want more info PM me but please do so before Wednesday as my grandmother died yesterday and I have to go to England on Weds afternoon. I doubt I will be looking at a computer while I am there and i'll be gone at least a week.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
I used Transworld to ship our stuff back (I believe they do cars as well or at least, they are affiliated with a company that does). The price was very good - I don't think it was the cheapest but the service was excellent and the people there have half a brain and do what they say they will. The woman in charge of our shipment was very attentive and even came to my house personally a few times to check things were progressing as planned and also to deliver some extra boxes I needed (and I lived an hour and a half away from their offices in Auckland!). They did actually make a mistake and sent all my books early to the UK (I had packed up half the house initially as we were trying to sell and wanted to clear some clutter). The boxes of books were supposed to stay in their warehouse in Auckland but mistakenly got put in a container. Anyway they were apologetic in the extreme, didn't charge for that shipment or any storage, reduced the cost of our insurance on the whole consignment and took some money off the shipping cost of the main shipment. Despite this slight mistake on their part I would still recommend them as I have a lot more time for a company that will admit and rectify a mistake than one which offers zero customer service, shirks its responsibilities and tries to deny or get out of its errors.

If you want more info PM me but please do so before Wednesday as my grandmother died yesterday and I have to go to England on Weds afternoon. I doubt I will be looking at a computer while I am there and i'll be gone at least a week.
Hi Mazi,sorry to hear about your grandmother. Deepest sympathy from all the Fearons. Fights postponed til you're good and ready!!
Old Feb 12th 2007, 10:07 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by danny.f
Hi Mazi,sorry to hear about your grandmother. Deepest sympathy from all the Fearons. Fights postponed til you're good and ready!!
Thanks and...Deal