British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Leaving on a jet plane.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/leaving-jet-plane-699229/)

Rusty Jan 4th 2011 11:39 pm

Leaving on a jet plane....

I currently live in Birmingham and am due to start a job as a psychiatric nurse in Grafton, Auckland in the next few weeks. My partner working in sales is yet to secure a position but has assured me he'll be fine with his hammock and PS2!?

Although extremely excited to start our new life we are increasingly nervous as the days pass. :scaredhair: We are undecided where to rent and any advice would be gratefully received.

I'll look forward to talking with you all over the months ahead!

Take care

Em & Jason

janeyk Jan 5th 2011 1:02 am

Re: Leaving on a jet plane....

Hello & welcome I am also a brummie and work for the Med school in Grafton I commute from Torbay on the North Shore it is doable on public transport however I drive as I have to adhere to tight school pickup/drop offs. There are plenty of expat nurses in ADHB as well as Waitamata DHB (North Shore), options to consider depensing on budget are Ellerslie, Newmarket, Mt Eden, Mt Albert, Ponsoby, Parnell all pretty close it really depnds where your OH works he could be based in CBD or out on the Shore or Greenlane. I am sure once you land he will find work especially if you have PR good luck

MnB Jan 5th 2011 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 9077909)
I currently live in Birmingham and am due to start a job as a psychiatric nurse in Grafton, Auckland in the next few weeks. My partner working in sales is yet to secure a position but has assured me he'll be fine with his hammock and PS2!?

Although extremely excited to start our new life we are increasingly nervous as the days pass. :scaredhair: We are undecided where to rent and any advice would be gratefully received.

I'll look forward to talking with you all over the months ahead!

Take care

Em & Jason

Hi & Welcome to the Forum :thumbsup: you've come to the right place to find help and support for your big move!....eg Janeyk's reply.

Use the search facility or post specific questions on the main forum.....someone will be along to help if they can!
Good luck with your plans......if you tell us the date you're leaving we'll add you to the 'leavers list':thumbsup:
B x

Rusty Jan 29th 2011 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by MnB (Post 9079752)
Hi & Welcome to the Forum :thumbsup: you've come to the right place to find help and support for your big move!....eg Janeyk's reply.

Use the search facility or post specific questions on the main forum.....someone will be along to help if they can!
Good luck with your plans......if you tell us the date you're leaving we'll add you to the 'leavers list':thumbsup:
B x

Hi, thanks for responding. We finally made it here on Monday 24th of jan and I'm hoping to start work on Wednesday. Jason has joined seek and worked in the aluminium/finishing industry for the last 20 years. Any advice would be appreciated and if you can add us to the leavers list that would be great. Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon....

Emma

Aliwales Feb 5th 2011 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 9138214)
Hi, thanks for responding. We finally made it here on Monday 24th of jan and I'm hoping to start work on Wednesday. Jason has joined seek and worked in the aluminium/finishing industry for the last 20 years. Any advice would be appreciated and if you can add us to the leavers list that would be great. Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon....

Emma

Hi Emma! I have secured a job in auckland city hospital in mental health and am just wading through the last bits of the visa process!

How r u finding the work in comparisson to the uk? I'm sure we'll meet if/when I finally get my visa sorted lol!! May even be on the same ward ?!

Ali

Rusty Feb 5th 2011 9:08 pm

Hi Ali,

Congratulations on securing a job, it's a big relief to know you're guaranteed a salary just a few weeks in. Not sure what package you were offered but I would definitely suggest that you have a think and try to negotiate incentives. They're crying out for MH nurses and if I'd of known beforehand I'd of asked for more than two weeks accommodation and my flight paid.

Having said that our hotel is lovely, we're based at The Quadrant. If you stay here ask for a view of the sky tower if you can. It's walkable to work and the surrounding area is beautiful with a park just opposite. There is also a kitchen so we've saved a fortune by eating in.

We initially wanted to base ourselves on the North shore but because of congestion and shift patterns we have decided on the east shore. Within close proximity to the hospital are Newmarket, Parnell, Mount Eden, Remuera but we really wanted to live near the beach so are moving further East to Glendowie which is still only 30mins drive away (I hope).

Shift patterns are slightly different to my UK work. You work four days on and have 2 off. The morning shift starts at 07.00-16.05, late is 15.00-23.30 and a night shift is 11.00-07.30. I was surprised how late you finish on an afternoon shift and you only have sat/sun off every 6 weeks. I only started on Wednesday so it's hard to comment at mo. It's always hard to be the newby but they seem a friendly bunch and I'll update you further in a couple of weeks.

Sorry if I've given you too much info but added everything I wish I'd knew before arriving.

I can confirm that you work to live here and there is always something to do. Spent yesterday on the beach and heading to the park for a free concert today. It definitely makes the move worth while...:thumbsup:

I'll send you a PM with my email address so just contact me if you have anymore questions.

Take care
Em X

Aliwales Feb 5th 2011 10:04 pm

Thanks emma. I appreciate the info, don't worry about the over load lol! I knew the shifts on a late were longer, that will takesome getting used to!

Fingers crossed working both days over the weekends won't happen too often If it's a 4 on/ 2 off rota!! Lol

I'll speak to u soon I'm sure!
Ali

RobDon Feb 5th 2011 11:09 pm

Hello & Welcome. :thumbup:

janeyk Feb 7th 2011 7:14 pm

Hi Rusty
Glad all is going well, do not forget to change your location!!!!