Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Leaving Christchurch for Auckland

Leaving Christchurch for Auckland

Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of
Default Leaving Christchurch for Auckland

Hi folks, well in a few weeks time I will be saying bye to Christchurch and heading for Auckland. I am rather looking forward to it, not that I'm saying I dont like it here, but thats just the way our lads job goes. I have made some really great friends here and will miss them. .
Anyway, he has been told that the job is in Albany. We have been looking at properties (to rent) in that area but someone has mentioned that Takapuna is nice, as is the surrounding areas. Now this is were you lot come into it. Never been to Auckland so dont know any areas at all. Any ideas on good schooling in that area? (Kids are 15 & 12). Areas in which any of you live, know or recommend etc. Any advice/help would be gratefully appreciated.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Christchurch for Auckland

Hiya

I lived in Torbay which is lovely , but a bit on the expensive side There are 2 schools around though that are very well rated... Northcross Intermediate and Long Bay College, there's Rangitoto College too but I don't know the zone for that except Brown's Bay, which incidently is lovely too. Now we're in Orewa in Rodney District (about 20 mins from Albany) and absolutely love it! We have Orewa College which I've heard is excellent! We'll find out for ourselves next year when our eldest goes. Rents are a bit cheaper (our difference in rental here and Torbay is $70 a week LESS and we live practically ON the beach) up here too. Red Beach is nice and both are easily accessible to the motorway to Albany.

Don't know what else to tell you. If you want to know anything else just yell or PM me

Michelle x
Old Feb 21st 2008, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maz1
Hi folks, well in a few weeks time I will be saying bye to Christchurch and heading for Auckland. I am rather looking forward to it, not that I'm saying I dont like it here, but thats just the way our lads job goes. I have made some really great friends here and will miss them. .
Anyway, he has been told that the job is in Albany. We have been looking at properties (to rent) in that area but someone has mentioned that Takapuna is nice, as is the surrounding areas. Now this is were you lot come into it. Never been to Auckland so dont know any areas at all. Any ideas on good schooling in that area? (Kids are 15 & 12). Areas in which any of you live, know or recommend etc. Any advice/help would be gratefully appreciated.
I would be real interested to hear how you compare the two as we are looking at doing it the other way around (well Nelson really not ChCh) so keep us updated

Can't help with schools and areas on the North shore but I think its all pretty much OK over there.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

If you are working in Albany then anywhere around the North Shore is accessable. lPersonally, The North Shore is my favourite place in NZ. Takapuna is good but doesn't have lots of inexpensive houses because many are on or near the beach. Milford is very plesant, but you have to go inland to get something reasonably priced. There are loads of properties to rent as you go further up the North Shore towards Browns Bay and Torbay, and then even further on you have the penninsular.

You also have the suburbs west of the freeway like, Beachaven and Glenfield. You really need to visit yourself and spend a good few days looking around and seeing what suits you personally.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

The schools on the North Shore have very good reputations and you should have no worries there, and are mostly around the Milford, Takapuna area.