Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Leaving Auckland...

Leaving Auckland...

Old Feb 7th 2016, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Auckland...

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
The charm of NZ is that it is generally at least 20 years behind the UK in most things. So it is a backwater in many ways compared to Europe. Advanced in other ways, of course.

As someone who remembers the time before central heating was common in the UK, and waking to ice on the inside of the windows, I think that they are still quite a long way behind with regards to insulation and heating.

Realistically, we in the UK have become accustomed to a comfortable temperature of around 20C indoors most of the year, because we have used technology to cope with the freezing winter temperatures.

If you have grown up with cold houses in the winter (as I and many others did) you don't really think much of it if you have not experienced the wonders of central heating. It is just how things are.

A house in the UK without insulation and heating would be considered a hovel. In NZ that is how they have always been. Because the temperatures are generally milder, nobody is in danger of freezing to death so it is just a case of putting on a few more jumpers.

The UK (and most of Europe) has also been driven by the green agenda, and building regulations are stricter every year on levels of insulation, and of heat loss through windows. Mostly aimed at cutting the heating bills and the amount of electricity generated and gas burned. I think you might have to look hard to find cavity walls, let alone cavity wall insulation.

NZ with mainly geothermal and hydro power doesn't really have the same urgent concerns.

So yes, one of the things that Brits assume about housing turns out generally not to be true.

I imagine that houses up in the high lands near the winter ski resorts will have adequate heating and insulation, of course.
Add outside the cities a plentiful supply of free or cheap wood so most rural properties have a logburner (often with a wet back to heat domestic water).

Having just spent 6 years in mainland Europe, nearly all rural properties (except new build) have huge stacks of wood outside for heating. Not sure I would wish to rely on that in a German/French winter (without insulated walls/double glazing) but you are acting as though only NZ has a different view to CH :-)

Last edited by Kotare; Feb 7th 2016 at 6:25 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kotare
Add outside the cities a plentiful supply of free or cheap wood so most rural properties have a logburner (often with a wet back to heat domestic water).

Having just spent 6 years in mainland Europe, nearly all rural properties (except new build) have huge stacks of wood outside for heating. Not sure I would wish to rely on that in a German/French winter (without insulated walls/double glazing) but you are acting as though only NZ has a different view to CH :-)
A friend has just bought me a popular book called "Norwegian Wood" which talks about the Norwegian love affair with wood and wood piles. This also talks about having a back boiler and radiators as some strange new cutting edge invention.

I guess I was talking from a Brit point of view as this is (nominally) a site for British expats.

We have a wood burner but wood is bl**dy expensive and quality is variable.

In other countries the ratio of trees to people may well be a lot higher, and the culture of cutting firewood for the winter may be a lot stronger. Virtually all the woodland here is privately (or government) owned.

You need to be connected to mains gas and electricity with a reasonable certainty that you will get a supply all year round before you can rely on it. Sparsely populated countries with vulnerable power supplies do need a safe fall back (I understand that in Norway it is illegal for houses over a certain size NOT to have a wood burner for heating).

Nevertheless I don't think people would be complaining if nearly all houses in NZ had a nice big log burner for heating.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 6:46 pm
Banned

AndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
I imagine that houses up in the high lands near the winter ski resorts will have adequate heating and insulation, of course. .
Aye, the wee jessies pit the lang troosers on aboot November

In my outlook it is all relative as in paying the equiv of $2000 a month (lets say £1000 pcm) in Scotland and it doesn’t have central heating and double glazing is only for one reason …..

It would be a castle , a stone one at that
Old Feb 8th 2016, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

kiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to behold

The major difference being, NZ is wetter than a ducks behind , most places outside the southern alps are full of moisture laiden air and hence it all feels colder than it actually shows on the mercury. Because few homes are adequately heated and ventilated mould and mildew is a huge problem, especially up in Auckland. New Zealanders just "brush it off" "pardon the pun" and get on with it. Question them about the health implications and they would tell you to "harden up"........
Don't believe anyone that tells you you don't need central heating in NZ, most people don't, but most people would love it!
Old Feb 10th 2016, 1:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MegMac
I meant to finalise this thread but we got very busy towards the end of our trip.

We finally agreed that New Plymouth is where we will start afresh. Fingers crossed it all works out well.
Sounds like a great move. We have wondered about the area ourselves if we decide to give the North Island a try .

Do hope you find a property to settle on soon.