British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Leaving Auckland... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/leaving-auckland-866830/)

MegMac Oct 20th 2015 4:41 am

Leaving Auckland...

We've been in Auckland just over a year and have tried really hard to make it work here. But it's time to throw up out hands in defeat and move on.

However before we head back to the UK we are going to give it one more go and move to another part of NZ. That way we can be sure we tried our absolute hardest if we do go back.

We are planning a month long trip round NZ and will be trying to pinpoint potential places to move to. Husband is very keen on the South Island but having just endured a "mild" Auckland winter, which has truly been the most unpleasant winter I've ever endured, I'd prefer to stay up North.

So any suggestions for places we should be checking out?

Husband will be working from home so work isn't an issue, although a good internet connection is a must.
I'm desperate for an area that has a great community and where people are generally friendly and welcoming.
We need to be near a nice school, I'm not concerned about decile or it being the best school around. Just one that is welcoming .
One thing I must have, is I must be near the sea. I miss living by the sea so much its driving me crazy, I hate not being walking/hearing distance from the sea.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Our move to Auckland has just about been the worst decision we have ever made and we are just desperately trying to salvage something out of this disaster.

LoCarb Oct 20th 2015 4:54 am

Re: Leaving Auckland...

Paekakariki. Great alternative beach lifestyle near Wellington.

BEVS Oct 20th 2015 5:52 am

If you don't mind being out on a limb a little then I would suggest Nelson, Tasman and Bays are worth a look.

The weather is more even. You will not get snow on the ground and will have summer holiday type summers. It is nothing like the Auckland weather system but a micro climate. Nelson is not a sprawling city but is a small town like place connected with a series of village type communities.

Another area would be the Bay of Plenty on the North Island.

bearskin Oct 20th 2015 7:07 am

Apart from a few places within a few km of here... Dunedin would be my next choice after where we live now.

Other options - Hawke's Bay? I've heard positives about New Plymouth area. Queenstown would be great but expensive - maybe somewhere in the area like Cromwell. Or go really south and do Invercargill?

One thing that I do think people could consider if you're starting over and prepared to go slightly out on a limb... the series of Cycle Trails around the country are really taking off and should provide a decent income to people who get in this stage with offerings to the tourists who will go on them (cafes, tours, transport etc).

Justcol Oct 20th 2015 7:31 am

I'm curtently in Dunedin, been here for a couple of days on
a reccy trip from Cambridge in the Waikato.

I love living in Cambridge but I am loving Dunedin, it's got
a lot going for it and a great feel to the CBD

Purrball Oct 20th 2015 7:40 am

Originally Posted by MegMac (Post 11775271)
So any suggestions for places we should be checking out?

As well as everyone's other suggestions like Nelson or Bay of Plenty; Kapiti from Paekak up to Otaki, I'd pitch in with Hawke's Bay (Napier/Hastings/Havelock North). Tauranga's climate is nice and feels less cut-off from things (in my opinion) than Tasman/Nelson.

If a large lake will substitute for the sea, then there are the areas in the North Island like Taupo, Rotorua etc. I'm not sure what the winters are like in New Plymouth, but you'll have the sea.

I'm sorry you feel defeated. Any more details on the problems as you see them?

Catchafire Oct 20th 2015 8:00 am

Big shout out for Marlborough!

We started in Auckland, after two years knew it was not for us.

As soon as you step off the boat in Picton, it's like another country.

Plus you can get a decent house for sub $300k

MegMac Oct 20th 2015 8:16 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11775296)
If you don't mind being out on a limb a little then I would suggest Nelson, Tasman and Bays are worth a look.

The weather is more even. You will not get snow on the ground and will have summer holiday type summers. It is nothing like the Auckland weather system but a micro climate. Nelson is not a sprawling city but is a small town like place connected with a series of village type communities.

Another area would be the Bay of Plenty on the North Island.

Nelson is definately on our list. I'm glad to hear Nelson isn't sprawling, that's part of the reason I dislike Auckland. I hate how far away everything is and the terrible traffic congestion.

BEVS Oct 20th 2015 8:21 am

Originally Posted by bearskin (Post 11775319)
A
One thing that I do think people could consider if you're starting over and prepared to go slightly out on a limb... the series of Cycle Trails around the country are really taking off and should provide a decent income to people who get in this stage with offerings to the tourists who will go on them (cafes, tours, transport etc).

Cynical laugh . And I mean cynical laugh.

Only if you are in with the in crowd of the area. Forget TDC. They have it sewn up as to who can and who cannot. They have even put popular vendors out of business to further own personal and who you know interests.

* hollow laugh on behalf of all those we know that have suffered at the hands of disgraceful nepotism*

To be clear. You will not be doing that in the Tasman Region unless well connected.

BEVS Oct 20th 2015 8:23 am

Originally Posted by MegMac (Post 11775364)
Nelson is definately on our list. I'm glad to hear Nelson isn't sprawling, that's part of the reason I dislike Auckland. I hate how far away everything is and the terrible traffic congestion.

Oh . It is starting to sprawl & is not learning . Don't get me wrong here. BUT It is not an Auckland and so has perhaps several years.

MegMac Oct 20th 2015 8:27 am

Originally Posted by LoCarb (Post 11775276)
Paekakariki. Great alternative beach lifestyle near Wellington.

I've never hear of Paekakariki. I'll have to do some more research.

Originally Posted by bearskin (Post 11775319)
Apart from a few places within a few km of here... Dunedin would be my next choice after where we live now.

Other options - Hawke's Bay? I've heard positives about New Plymouth area. Queenstown would be great but expensive - maybe somewhere in the area like Cromwell. Or go really south and do Invercargill?

Invercargill scares me. :ohmy: I don't think I can take the cold. I've had a baptism of fire (or ice) this winter with uninsulated, unheated houses. I don't think I can take another winter like it.

Originally Posted by Purrball (Post 11775337)
As well as everyone's other suggestions like Nelson or Bay of Plenty; Kapiti from Paekak up to Otaki, I'd pitch in with Hawke's Bay (Napier/Hastings/Havelock North). Tauranga's climate is nice and feels less cut-off from things (in my opinion) than Tasman/Nelson.

If a large lake will substitute for the sea, then there are the areas in the North Island like Taupo, Rotorua etc. I'm not sure what the winters are like in New Plymouth, but you'll have the sea.

I'm sorry you feel defeated. Any more details on the problems as you see them?

Purrball, it's just been an accumulation of one bad thing after another. Individually it doesn't seem like a big deal but once it all starts piling up, you suddenly realise you don't want to live like that. Which is why we are hoping a change of scenery helps. We're country folk and the big city just doesn't suit us.:lol:

Purrball Oct 20th 2015 9:03 am

Originally Posted by MegMac (Post 11775375)
...uninsulated, unheated houses.

I'm sorry. It's a long-running national problem… and many Kiwis won't admit it.

MrsFychan Oct 20th 2015 9:08 am

Paekakariki

is a small place just off SH1 between Porirua and Paraparaumu. not a lot there but does have a surf club, a camping ground, railway station, handful of shops and access to QE2 park. thats about it

Purrball Oct 20th 2015 9:36 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11775401)
a camping ground

Spent many summer weekends there as a kid in the 70s and exploring around QE2 park and the dunes. Also used Paekak as a hitch-hiking staging post out of town as a teenager. It used to be the last stop on the train line.

Have often thought that the Kapiti micro-climate doesn't really start until Paraparaumu, where the bigger shops are. The winds can whip like hell around Pukerua Bay and the ranges that hug the coast.

chocolate cake Oct 20th 2015 9:38 am

It's not clear what you've not liked about Auckland, besides the traffic, which if you're working from home shouldn't be much of an issue.

Having said you found the Auckland winter bad, I think you can pretty much discount whole the South Island, and pretty much most of the North too. As to be honest Auckland winters are pretty mild, and only inside does it become depressing if you've not got a decently heated home.

Notwithstanding that places to consider would be Bay of Islands, say Keri Keri, or the Coromandel, both great areas if you're able to work from home. Also I'd guess Tauranga too and Bay of Plenty. Inland though it can get properly cold in winter.