Reload this Page >

Leash Free Dog Walking?

Leash Free Dog Walking?

Old Jan 13th 2017, 10:38 am
Just Joined

PammyM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leash Free Dog Walking?

Hello guys.

I'm currently in the process of trying to get over to NZ. I am going to be bringing my young Labrador and she loves jumping and playing in the sea and running around off the leash. What is it like there for this? Are there plenty of places where you can walk your dog off the leash?

Thanks
Old Jan 13th 2017, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leash Free Dog Walking?

Because NZ has a lot of flightless native birds, there are big chunks of the countryside, including beaches, off limits to dogs. Up here there is a rare bird called the dotterel which nests on the beach. Besides that, the popular beaches are also off limits. Most councils have designated beaches and times when dogs are allowed. And there are heaps of remote beaches outside the cities where people take dogs, as long as their is no wildlife to endanger and you pick up the poop.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Also, up here in the north anyway, most towns have designated exercise areas for leash free activity.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 6:21 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

You can check local regulations on the website of the council where you plan to move. It's worth doing before you move because some areas are quite short on leash free areas. I assume you've checked the cost of bringing your dog - it's pretty pricey.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of

Where are you looking to live ? I'm in the Dunedin area and have loads of parks, beaches and bush walks to take my two pups. The local Council has a page of where you can take dogs. Also look on Department of Conservation, they will have walks and parks that are dog friendly.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Bumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really nice

Alas not as free as UK, dogs generally not allowed on school grounds, sports fields, CBDs, public transport, shops unless service dogs, however where I live in Manawatu there are lots of off leash places to walk dogs, I own two and rarely put them on a leash unless I am on the streets.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 5:14 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

All depends which part of NZ you are moving to. I see people walking their dogs on the local beach (North Canterbury), but I've also noticed signs in various parts of NZ saying "no dogs." As others have said above it can depend on the wildlife in the area. Anywhere near kiwi, penguin and native bird habitats will either mean leash or no dogs at all.