Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

learning to speak Maori

learning to speak Maori

Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold
Default learning to speak Maori

Sorry, it's me again!

I'm looking for a simple book or software etc. to teach myself and the kids (11 and 13) Maori.

Any ideas please???

Lydia
Old Jan 31st 2010, 9:48 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: learning to speak Maori

This is perhaps not what you were thinking of, but take a look at the free Mauri Ora course.,

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 31st 2010 at 9:50 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold

Thanks! No good for the moment but will file this till we get there in a couple of years!! Very interesting......
Old Feb 1st 2010, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

most colleges do part time courses but you'll never need it.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Are you in NZ yet? If not, I'd wait till you get here, as the pronunciation is a bit different - basically every vowel sounds seperately. You won't need it to communicate as Maori people all speak good English, but it can be diplomatic in certain situations. Your kids will pick up a certain amount at school and you will pick up the basics by watching TV. Have you Googled Basic Maori phrases?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough

repeat after me...... sweet as bro
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

another well used one is
"I dont have to follow your white man laws, they're bullsh*t man"

Last edited by Justcol; Feb 1st 2010 at 8:41 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:18 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 4pommes
Sorry, it's me again!

I'm looking for a simple book or software etc. to teach myself and the kids (11 and 13) Maori.

Any ideas please???

Lydia
And why?????
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:19 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by colandros
another well used one is
"I dont have to follow your white man laws, they're bullsh*t man"
Nice one
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by love30stm
And why?????
that was my first thought too
does that make me a racist

seriously if you dont need it for your job forget it.
No maori i've every met has ever pressumed i could speak it
and i've not met two who speak it to each other never mind
speak it to a whie man.
None of the maori people i work with can speak it either.
I think you'd be seen more as a suck up than respecting a culture
that doesnt respect you if you tried.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Yes that is a point. If you work or live with Maori I think they'd love that you wanted to learn, but if you've just arrived and start trying to use Maori words with Maori they might take it as an insult, especially delivered with a pommy accent.
If you're just interested then go for it, but you will pick it up whether you like it or not, because there is a lot on TV.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
And why?????
And why not? Its called expanding the mind. It is also rather magnanimous IMO for one to go to the bother of learning what is NZ's 2nd language. It is strange that anyone should question such an idea. I guess maybe I am a bit too broad minded aye??
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
that was my first thought too
does that make me a racist

seriously if you dont need it for your job forget it.
No maori i've every met has ever pressumed i could speak it
and i've not met two who speak it to each other never mind
speak it to a whie man.
None of the maori people i work with can speak it either.
I think you'd be seen more as a suck up than respecting a culture
that doesnt respect you if you tried.

Maybe they are just interested in learning something new, Have you considered that? Why does something you want to learn have to have a practical use?? There is zero practical use in breaking speed limits, infact it can be very dangerous but as we know a few like doing that some positively revel in it. Give me a bunch of folk who want to learn Maori any day. It's not going to hurt any one is it?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:30 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

OK, I can see the reasoning from everyone but can any of you actually help the OP.

It might be pertinent to say that use of verbal Maori language does take place every day. We hear it in our place names. Road names . On the TV etc.

To the OP.

Maori pronunciation is very phonetic. Pronounce each vowel for instance and don't weigh any one vowel over another. The Maori tongue has a rather staccato delivery.

I see it as a very new written language but a very old verbal language.

Maybe THIS BOOK will suit.

This will give you 100 words.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 6:30 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Love that link BEVS!

To the OP, don't listen to the jaded on this thread- Maori is an official NZ language and although you might come across as a bit try hard if you rock up and start flagging down Maori on the street to converse with, I think you'd be applauded for having a rudimentary grasp of the language before you arrive and it would certainly help with the initial pronounciation of place names etc!

Maori is an endangered language (spoken fluently by only 10-20 % of the Maori population), was almost entirely wiped out only a few decades ago DELIBERATELY. I think all NZers should be pissed off about that ... language is such an incredible part of cultural identity, history and belonging- I don't think any of us English speaking British Expats can really understand the ramifications of having had your language nearly annihilated within living memory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.