British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   learning to speak Maori (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/learning-speak-maori-652298/)

4pommes Jan 31st 2010 8:27 pm

learning to speak Maori

Sorry, it's me again!

I'm looking for a simple book or software etc. to teach myself and the kids (11 and 13) Maori.

Any ideas please???

Lydia

BEVS Jan 31st 2010 9:48 pm

Re: learning to speak Maori

This is perhaps not what you were thinking of, but take a look at the free Mauri Ora course.,

4pommes Jan 31st 2010 10:13 pm

Thanks! No good for the moment but will file this till we get there in a couple of years!! Very interesting......

Justcol Feb 1st 2010 12:21 am

most colleges do part time courses but you'll never need it.

kiwinow Feb 1st 2010 3:21 am

Are you in NZ yet? If not, I'd wait till you get here, as the pronunciation is a bit different - basically every vowel sounds seperately. You won't need it to communicate as Maori people all speak good English, but it can be diplomatic in certain situations. Your kids will pick up a certain amount at school and you will pick up the basics by watching TV. Have you Googled Basic Maori phrases?

kenpom Feb 1st 2010 3:37 am

repeat after me...... sweet as bro

Justcol Feb 1st 2010 8:36 pm

another well used one is
"I dont have to follow your white man laws, they're bullsh*t man"

love30stm Feb 1st 2010 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by 4pommes (Post 8299175)
Sorry, it's me again!

I'm looking for a simple book or software etc. to teach myself and the kids (11 and 13) Maori.

Any ideas please???

Lydia

And why?????

love30stm Feb 1st 2010 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8302313)
another well used one is
"I dont have to follow your white man laws, they're bullsh*t man"

Nice one :rofl:

Justcol Feb 2nd 2010 3:50 am

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 8302439)
And why?????

that was my first thought too :unsure:
does that make me a racist :huh:

seriously if you dont need it for your job forget it.
No maori i've every met has ever pressumed i could speak it
and i've not met two who speak it to each other never mind
speak it to a whie man.
None of the maori people i work with can speak it either.
I think you'd be seen more as a suck up than respecting a culture
that doesnt respect you if you tried.

kiwinow Feb 2nd 2010 4:58 am

Yes that is a point. If you work or live with Maori I think they'd love that you wanted to learn, but if you've just arrived and start trying to use Maori words with Maori they might take it as an insult, especially delivered with a pommy accent.
If you're just interested then go for it, but you will pick it up whether you like it or not, because there is a lot on TV.

Genesis Feb 2nd 2010 5:15 am

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 8302439)
And why?????

And why not? Its called expanding the mind. It is also rather magnanimous IMO for one to go to the bother of learning what is NZ's 2nd language. It is strange that anyone should question such an idea. I guess maybe I am a bit too broad minded aye??

Genesis Feb 2nd 2010 5:20 am

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8303242)
that was my first thought too :unsure:
does that make me a racist :huh:

seriously if you dont need it for your job forget it.
No maori i've every met has ever pressumed i could speak it
and i've not met two who speak it to each other never mind
speak it to a whie man.
None of the maori people i work with can speak it either.
I think you'd be seen more as a suck up than respecting a culture
that doesnt respect you if you tried.

Maybe they are just interested in learning something new, Have you considered that? Why does something you want to learn have to have a practical use?? There is zero practical use in breaking speed limits, infact it can be very dangerous but as we know a few like doing that some positively revel in it. Give me a bunch of folk who want to learn Maori any day. It's not going to hurt any one is it?

BEVS Feb 2nd 2010 5:30 am

OK, I can see the reasoning from everyone but can any of you actually help the OP. :p

It might be pertinent to say that use of verbal Maori language does take place every day. We hear it in our place names. Road names . On the TV etc.

To the OP.

Maori pronunciation is very phonetic. Pronounce each vowel for instance and don't weigh any one vowel over another. The Maori tongue has a rather staccato delivery.

I see it as a very new written language but a very old verbal language.

Maybe THIS BOOK will suit.

This will give you 100 words.

bourbon-biscuit Feb 2nd 2010 6:30 am

Love that link BEVS!

To the OP, don't listen to the jaded on this thread- Maori is an official NZ language and although you might come across as a bit try hard if you rock up and start flagging down Maori on the street to converse with, I think you'd be applauded for having a rudimentary grasp of the language before you arrive and it would certainly help with the initial pronounciation of place names etc!

Maori is an endangered language (spoken fluently by only 10-20 % of the Maori population), was almost entirely wiped out only a few decades ago DELIBERATELY. I think all NZers should be pissed off about that ... language is such an incredible part of cultural identity, history and belonging- I don't think any of us English speaking British Expats can really understand the ramifications of having had your language nearly annihilated within living memory.