Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

learning to speak Maori

learning to speak Maori

Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: learning to speak Maori

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...t-speaker-dies

Excerpts:

The last speaker of an ancient tribal language has died in the Andaman Islands, breaking a 65,000-year link to one of the world's oldest cultures.

Boa Sr, who lived through the 2004 tsunami, the Japanese occupation and diseases brought by British settlers, was the last native of the island chain who was fluent in Bo.
The last link in a 65,000 years (65,000 years!!) continuum, and she has just died....

"Her loss is not just the loss of the Great Andamanese community, it is a loss of several disciplines of studies put together, including anthropology, linguistics, history, psychology, and biology," Narayan Choudhary, a linguist of Jawaharlal Nehru University who was part of an Andaman research team, wrote on his webpage. "To me, Boa Sr epitomised a totality of humanity in all its hues and with a richness that is not to be found anywhere else."

The Andaman Islands, in the Bay of Bengal, are governed by India. The indigenous population has steadily collapsed since the island chain was colonised by British settlers in 1858 and used for most of the following 100 years as a colonial penal colony.

"The Great Andamanese were first massacred, then all but wiped out by paternalistic policies which left them ravaged by epidemics of disease, and robbed of their land and independence," said Survival International's director, Stephen Corry. "With the death of Boa Sr and the extinction of the Bo language, a unique part of human society is now just a memory. Boa's loss is a bleak reminder that we must not allow this to happen to the other tribes of the Andaman Islands."

Last edited by Black Sheep; Feb 6th 2010 at 10:52 am.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

If he was the last speaker who did he talk to??
how do they know he wasnt just making it up as there was no one
else who spoke it to tell if he was speaking it or not
Old Feb 6th 2010, 8:33 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by colandros
Why are you trying to a smart arse?
yes i am speciying one race.
Read the papers.
15 % of maori are out of work
5% of pakeha are out of work
There are 625000 people claiming maori ancestry
in NZ, almost 94000 are out of work.
625000 is the total figure including minors not yet
old enough to work so the actual % of adult maori
out of work will be much higher.
Various socio ecconomic reasons for this that i wont
go into here as we've strayed a little from the OP
btw i agree with everything you say just wanted to say
Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
Why are you trying to a smart arse?
I'm not trying to be a smart arse, I just wondered if you meant Maori or Pacific Islanders.

I typed out an argument to your 'claims' but do you know what, it's not worth it! You're just going to insist you're right and we'll go round and round in circles. I hope NZ treats you with a bit more of respect than you have shown it.

I would also like to apologise to the OP, and feel free to PM me again if you need/want any help with the teaching/Te Reo

Michelle