Learning Maori

Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:48 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Learning Maori

Anyone tried it / done it? I'm a bit of a linguist myself, being fluent (not quite bilingual anymore ) in French and having an excellent grasp of German. I can read Dutch and make good guesses at written Spanish.

If we move to NZ (and having just seen on it's Wikipedia page that it ranks number 1 in the world with regards to political freedom and civil liberties, and living somewhere where these 2 are being swiftly eroded!), I think I'd really like to learn Maori.

Anyone else?
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning Maori

Originally Posted by Maz
Anyone tried it / done it? I'm a bit of a linguist myself, being fluent (not quite bilingual anymore ) in French and having an excellent grasp of German. I can read Dutch and make good guesses at written Spanish.

If we move to NZ (and having just seen on it's Wikipedia page that it ranks number 1 in the world with regards to political freedom and civil liberties, and living somewhere where these 2 are being swiftly eroded!), I think I'd really like to learn Maori.

Anyone else?
I am studying at the moment in NZ and as my lecturer says to us 'Don't believe everything you read on Wikidpedia'. Civil liberties continue to be eroded in NZ, but not nearly as fast as UK. Come to Rotorua and there are plenty of free courses to learn Maori. Not sure how free the courses are in other areas.

Rob
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maz

Anyone else?
start by learning the national anthem in maori
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:16 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Civil liberties continue to be eroded in NZ

Rob
Heh... come to the US! You'll find out what that's really like. Big Brother is alive and well, and banning books from libraries left, right and centre, tracking where you go, where you bank, what you spend your money on... The authorities can break into your house without a warrant, not charge you, and hold you indefinitely with no charge against you... such a paradise .... oh I could go on, but I won't.

But that's great about the free courses to learn Maori! I'll drink to that.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:20 am
Maz

Originally Posted by newkiwi
start by learning the national anthem in maori
Damn that would be cool! Thanks! Which one though? "God Defend New Zealand" or "God Save The Queen"?
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Damn that would be cool! Thanks! Which one though? "God Defend New Zealand" or "God Save The Queen"?
I'm sure newkiwi means God defend NZ. I downloaded it from the net and stuck it on a cd in the car. Both our son( nearly 5 ) and daughter( 2 and a bit ) sing along in maori and then english. It didn't do me any harm either.
Their haka is pretty amusing also!!!

Lee
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:48 am
Maz

Originally Posted by Joshlin
I'm sure newkiwi means God defend NZ. I downloaded it from the net and stuck it on a cd in the car. Both our son( nearly 5 ) and daughter( 2 and a bit ) sing along in maori and then english. It didn't do me any harm either.
Their haka is pretty amusing also!!!

Lee
That's pretty damn cool, Lee.

I looooooooove the Haka!
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

[ I think I'd really like to learn Maori.

Anyone else? [/QUOTE]

I live in Porirua and have just learnt what it means in Maori.
Pori = harbour
Rua = two

The college here does a free course to learn the Maori culture, I've been told it's really good fun.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boopy
[ I think I'd really like to learn Maori.

Anyone else?
I live in Porirua and have just learnt what it means in Maori.
Pori = harbour
Rua = two

The college here does a free course to learn the Maori culture, I've been told it's really good fun.[/QUOTE]

From what I understand Rotorua is:-

Roto = lake
Rua = two

I believe Rotorua has it's name because Lake Rotorua is the 2nd largest lake in NZ after Lake Taupo.

When double checking it found this interesting site on Maori words http://www.maori.info/maori_language.htm

Rob
Old Nov 21st 2006, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

This seems a good site.... you get to hear some guy saying the words correctly.

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/culture/tereo-100words

On this page it says how Aotearoa means Long White Cloud and not The Land Of as most people seem to think....

http://www.maorilanguage.info/mao_defns.html
Old Nov 21st 2006, 8:38 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

This is a good one - http://library.christchurch.org.nz/Maori/TeReoKete/
It's got some links in it as well to hear the pronunciation.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:26 pm
Maz

Cool, thanks for all the links everyone! I'll have some fun checking those out tonight.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Kerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really nice

Learn the national anthem, haka and counting from 1-10, chuck in a few maori place names and there you have it folks back home will be amazed how quick you have picked up the language.

Watch maori TV to get a grasp on the language and see how many english words are thrown in.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:07 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

I just tried to say a couple of words and felt a right Ure
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:16 pm
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maz

Anyone else?
Haere Mai

I'm planning to learn Maori too when we arrive, however I'm c**p at languages so I'll probably struggle. I think there are only 15 letters in the Maori alphabet though, so that's got to help .
I also want to learn how to use the poi without looking a complete a**e, I have got a pair of long poi, which I swing around but end up in knots
Annie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.