Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Learning to drive in NZ

Learning to drive in NZ

Old Sep 21st 2018, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Rotorhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Learning to drive in NZ

The problem is it takes time to complete the stages before getting your driving license in NZ: learners license (3-6 months), then restricted (3-6 months) before you can finally apply for the full license.

Just to put a different option out there, If you have time, why not attend a residential or intensive course within commuting distance of London, like Milton Keynes. The roads there are predictable, wide and easy to drive on, I would say they were almost designed for a driving school! Then when you arrive in NZ you have one less thing to be concerned about. Learning to drive can be very stressful and it would be a shame if this was at the forefront of your mind when you arrive in NZ.

Good luck with learning to drive and the move
Old Sep 21st 2018, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotorhead
Just to put a different option out there, If you have time, why not attend a residential or intensive course within commuting distance of London, like Milton Keynes. The roads there are predictable, wide and easy to drive on, I would say they were almost designed for a driving school! Then when you arrive in NZ you have one less thing to be concerned about.
It's not a viable option because an overseas licence is not accepted in NZ unless held for at least two years previously.
Old Sep 21st 2018, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Rotorhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Good point, however it could still be a viable option. What about this plan?

Lets say Thorners attends one of those 7 day intensive courses and passes the UK license before Christmas. This is also an optimistic time frame of selling a flat in London. So after another 6 months renting a flat in London, lets say July the move to NZ takes place. I believe you are allowed to drive on an overseas license for 12 months? Then all that is required is another 6 months and Thorners has held the license for 2 years! That 6 months is going to be the same timeframe as being without a license while learning in NZ. Obviously if Thorners gets the UK license sooner and the flat takes longer to sell it could work out perfectly!

Just trying to provide a different option but it sounds like you have direct experienced in this area so happy to bow to your superior knowledge.
Old Sep 21st 2018, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Thorner doesn't seem to be in any particular rush to get on the road in Wellington and won't really need a car if living centrally, so yes that would be an option.
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 10:26 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotorhead
Good point, however it could still be a viable option. What about this plan?

Lets say Thorners attends one of those 7 day intensive courses and passes the UK license before Christmas. This is also an optimistic time frame of selling a flat in London. So after another 6 months renting a flat in London, lets say July the move to NZ takes place. I believe you are allowed to drive on an overseas license for 12 months? Then all that is required is another 6 months and Thorners has held the license for 2 years! That 6 months is going to be the same timeframe as being without a license while learning in NZ. Obviously if Thorners gets the UK license sooner and the flat takes longer to sell it could work out perfectly!

Just trying to provide a different option but it sounds like you have direct experienced in this area so happy to bow to your superior knowledge.
would be cheaper to do it here, if you go with the AA you may get 3 lessons free, basically thats all the daughter had with lessons with us and one with an independent just before that test to check her with another instructor.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thorners
Hi all

A quick question. I live in London and have never learned to drive (aged almost 40, whoops). I realise I will need to in NZ.

We're trying to sell our flat, once that happens we'll probably stay here in a short term rental for another 6 months before moving to Wellington. I really don't fancy learning to drive in London so was planning to wait until I get over to NZ. That way I'm learning the right road rules too.

Do you think that's the best way or should I learn to drive before we move over? It seems like it might be a longer process to learn in NZ but I don't know much about it or how much it costs. We will rent somewhere fairly central in Wellington for the first year before we buy somewhere that's probably a bit more remote and rural. So I'd have a year before really needing a car to get around. That's the plan at least!

Thanks
Whatever you do, wrap your self and your loved ones in the biggest, safest, 5 star safety rating car you can afford, it may save your live. Seriously. The driving here is beyond awful. And 13 years in it’s getting worse. Aggressive, dumb, arrogant, thoughtless and selfish...and that is the talented ones!!!! What is it with the kiwi psyche?????