Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The A league.......

The A league.......

Old Sep 22nd 2007, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default The A league.......

I know its rugby first here in NZ and thats fine but i thought as a football fan i'd watch the A league game today on Sky..........

While there have been some great players emerge out of OZ the remainder look shocking.....

The game between Adelaide and Wellington looks like a bottom of the 2nd div/conference game from the UK

I know theres a few here who sin and support football instead of rugby what do you think................
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The A league.......

Its not much kop is it !?!?!

I do have a flick through on Sky Sport to see how the phoenix get on but it just isnt enough quality to get hooked on it.

I have to settle for watching my beloved Man United at an ungodly hour either on the satellite or t'internet

(Not the same as being there of course - I did have plenty of time to get my head around the fact that I was going to be away from the football.........and the UK)
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it's crap. It has no money,no investment,and not enough people to make an atmosphere in an egg-chase predominant part of the world.

However-we're season ticket holders (all of us at the Championship winning Porirua City Masters Div 2 side) and we make sure we have a laugh. 12-14000 a week isn't bad,and we see goals normally.It isn't Anfield,granted,but it's still louder than Old Trafford.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 9:21 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by danny.f
.......It isn't Anfield,granted,but it's still louder than Old Trafford.

Still it is crap but must get to at least one game this season. Crowd attendence does surprise me

Go the 'nix
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 11:45 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it's crap. It has no money,no investment,and not enough people to make an atmosphere in an egg-chase predominant part of the world.
Well...it's not just that...in Wellington's case it's more the fact that the team is 2 months old, (All the teams currently in the English Premiership were pretty shit in their first two months of existence, I'd guess), is playing in an overseas league and exists in a country were the media pretend that the 'middle-class repressed-homosexual ball-chasing' game is the only game that exists.

The fact that 14,000 bother to turn up for such meagre 'soccer' as the Phoenix, shows that people are keen to see a sport that requires some degree of skill....even at the A-League level.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

However-we're season ticket holders (all of us at the Championship winning Porirua City Masters Div 2 side) and we make sure we have a laugh. 12-14000 a week isn't bad,and we see goals normally.It isn't Anfield,granted,but it's still louder than Old Trafford.
Where is Porirua? 12-14000 has got to be good for football in nz, My home town of cheltenham struggles to get 4000 and they are in league 1 !!!
What are the football leagues like in nz and how many are there (professionally). I think I am going to feel guilty about leaving my son with possibly alot less football in nz

Theres is only 1 shape & size ball

Cheers Jads
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 12:28 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jads
Where is Porirua? 12-14000 has got to be good for football in nz, My home town of cheltenham struggles to get 4000 and they are in league 1 !!!
What are the football leagues like in nz and how many are there (professionally). I think I am going to feel guilty about leaving my son with possibly alot less football in nz

Cheers Jads
There's Wellington Phoenix in the A-league, and then there's the NZ league, then there's a quite a few local leagues scattered across the country....and there are thousands of school teams.

Phoenix bring in 12-14,000. And I'd guess that every other team in the country might make 10,000 between them!

http://www.nzsoccerscoreboard.com should give you a good idea of what's going on.

Last edited by Avid; Sep 23rd 2007 at 12:30 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jads

Cheers Jads

How do Jads. Porirua is about 15 minutes North of Wellington (25kms),Police allowing.Population approximately 50,000.
The A league has 8 teams,1 from NZ (us),and 7 (Sydney,Newcastle,Central Coast,Adelaide,Perth,Melbourne and Queensland) from Australia.
Wellington are third,on 4 points from 4 games,so nuff said.
There is then a split of local football,Wellington has 13 divisions,with 4 Masters divisions (over 35's),and 3 or 4 Womens leagues.
Porirua's own Wesern Suburbs is currently the country's best side,having won the Chatham Cup (like the FA Cup) last year,and were runners up this.
Porirua City Masters Division 2 side won their league this year,playing some incredibly attractive football,and relying somewhat on an exceptional centre forward named Danny Fearon. Lethal he is!
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 11:14 pm
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Porirua City Masters Division 2 side won their league this year,playing some incredibly attractive football,and relying somewhat on an exceptional centre forward named Danny Fearon. Lethal he is!
Not next year they won't

C'mon Seatoun .............
Old Sep 24th 2007, 1:25 am

Porirua's own Wesern Suburbs is currently the country's best side,having won the Chatham Cup (like the FA Cup) last year,and were runners up this.

Best side in the country??? If we ignore Wellington Phoenix as being an 'Australian' team then surely the 'best' team in NZ is Waitakere.

Though I'd choose Miramar myself, as they have the nicest ground.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Avid
Best side in the country??? If we ignore Wellington Phoenix as being an 'Australian' team then surely the 'best' team in NZ is Waitakere.

Though I'd choose Miramar myself, as they have the nicest ground.
Why would Phoenix be classed as an Australian team?
Nicest ground is Adventure Park,Whitby!
Old Sep 24th 2007, 4:32 am
Winter hibernator

Why would Phoenix be classed as an Australian team?
Nicest ground is Adventure Park,Whitby!
Because they play in the Australian League.

Nicest ground now is Newtown Park, though I did like the Stop Out ground at the Hutt raceway.

Manawatu also had a cool ground in the middle of a velodrome.

Basin Reserve was the best though.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Because they play in the Australian League.

Nicest ground now is Newtown Park, though I did like the Stop Out ground at the Hutt raceway.

Manawatu also had a cool ground in the middle of a velodrome.

Basin Reserve was the best though.
Doesn't make the team Australian though. If you're struggling with your geography-I've got a map of your country.

Stop Outs ground is indeed tops.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 5:16 am
Winter hibernator

Doesn't make the team Australian though. If you're struggling with your geography-I've got a map of your country.

Stop Outs ground is indeed tops.
No, but they can't be classed as a NZ team cause they don't play in NZ leagues

And no I don't need a map of my home country Porirua boy
Old Sep 24th 2007, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
No, but they can't be classed as a NZ team cause they don't play in NZ leagues

And no I don't need a map of my home country Porirua boy
Catalan play Rugby League in the British Super League. Does that make a French team English?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.