Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Lawnmowers...sorry !!

Lawnmowers...sorry !!

Old Oct 11th 2005, 2:42 pm

taffinkent will become famous soon enough
Default Lawnmowers...sorry !!

We in the process of buying a new lawnmower for when we come to NZ early next year. ( Our old one would take too much effort to clean up to pass through customs ........its really old)

I have heard that it is better to buy a petrol mower to use in NZ.
Is this the case or should we wait until we are out there and purchase one there ???

A boring question, I know , but the cheapest petrol one I can find here is about a hundred and thirty quid. !!

Cheers,

Taff.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lawnmowers...sorry !!

Originally Posted by taffinkent
We in the process of buying a new lawnmower for when we come to NZ early next year. ( Our old one would take too much effort to clean up to pass through customs ........its really old)

I have heard that it is better to buy a petrol mower to use in NZ.
Is this the case or should we wait until we are out there and purchase one there ???

A boring question, I know , but the cheapest petrol one I can find here is about a hundred and thirty quid. !!

Cheers,

Taff.
Hi Taff, did you know their is an import tax on unused items?

It only has to be used once, but it would have to be spotlessly cleaned after otherwise customs may charge you for cleaning and spraying it.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 4:26 pm

taffinkent will become famous soon enough

Cheers Planty,

Sent you a PM.
Will buy the lawnmower out there.

Taff
Old Oct 11th 2005, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taffinkent
Cheers Planty,

Sent you a PM.
Will buy the lawnmower out there.

Taff
If you can find out how much they cost over there it may still be cheaper to buy it here and pay the tax.

http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers...ts/default.htm

Looking in this section of customs it says refridgerators and freezers are prohibited. Haven't any of you that have already gone taken yours? I know we were thinking of taking ours, its only a couple of months old.:scared:
Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:51 pm

Dave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by planty
If you can find out how much they cost over there it may still be cheaper to buy it here and pay the tax.

http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers...ts/default.htm

Looking in this section of customs it says refridgerators and freezers are prohibited. Haven't any of you that have already gone taken yours? I know we were thinking of taking ours, its only a couple of months old.:scared:
OK then - after picking ourselves up off the floor can any one confirm or clarify what the list means in Planty's link? :scared:

I'm mean that I can leave the anti-personnel mines behind (only joking!! ) but what about things like children's toys etc. I would assume that you will be able to bring toys into the country but they would only be allowed in if they conform to a safety standard, possibly a CE mark?

I was going to start a new thread about packing and shipment but it was only really a simple question, which is how far do you go with the packaging and wrapping? We have ornaments that we have bubble wrapped up already (as we are packing up a little bit to de-clutter the house a bit for the sale) so are they going to un wrap each and everyone one? From the information that has come to light I would say so but what are the comments from people who have already been through this.

Also, w.r.t. new items, if you keep something clean and keep the box to put it in then how do they know it has been used and won't take it for a brought new item? I suppose I could rip the top of the box, loose some of the packaging but that seems a bit excessive!

Just going to have a drink (from the fridge that we may not be taking over) whilst we recover from this news
Old Oct 11th 2005, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dave and Lyns
OK then - after picking ourselves up off the floor can any one confirm or clarify what the list means in Planty's link? :scared:

I'm mean that I can leave the anti-personnel mines behind (only joking!! ) but what about things like children's toys etc. I would assume that you will be able to bring toys into the country but they would only be allowed in if they conform to a safety standard, possibly a CE mark?

I was going to start a new thread about packing and shipment but it was only really a simple question, which is how far do you go with the packaging and wrapping? We have ornaments that we have bubble wrapped up already (as we are packing up a little bit to de-clutter the house a bit for the sale) so are they going to un wrap each and everyone one? From the information that has come to light I would say so but what are the comments from people who have already been through this.

Also, w.r.t. new items, if you keep something clean and keep the box to put it in then how do they know it has been used and won't take it for a brought new item? I suppose I could rip the top of the box, loose some of the packaging but that seems a bit excessive!

Just going to have a drink (from the fridge that we may not be taking over) whilst we recover from this news
I think it works like this, if you use a company like PSS who do all the packing for you, they'll keep an inventory and your belongings should clear customs straight away, if you pack all your own kit then they'll go through it with a fine tooth comb.

Like you say with the new items, it only has to used once, so keeping the boxes and resealing should be good enough.

Come on you guys who've gone, let us know.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

jjennings will become famous soon enough

It's not a good idea to use bubble wrap if your container is travelling by sea, as it will be going through tropical humidity and the bubble wrap will mark whatever it is touching. Good movers will use a form of tissue paper.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jjennings
It's not a good idea to use bubble wrap if your container is travelling by sea, as it will be going through tropical humidity and the bubble wrap will mark whatever it is touching. Good movers will use a form of tissue paper.

Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:24 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Take every mortal thing!
I only regret bringing electrical stuff, most of it broke down within the first year or was a hassle to get working .. ie tv's.

Don't stress over it too much just bring your things, they are your personal belongings, it's not like you're bringing in stuff to sell as a business.

Keep an eye on what the shippers are writing on their lists as they're wrapping and packing your stuff cos as long as they don't write new next to owt you'll you'll be fine. Just open your new things boxes and rip the tops off as suggested, someone said they even threw a sock into their new dryer drum just to make it look used.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

jjennings will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by willmore
Just noticed the comment further up the thread that they have packed their ornaments in bubble wrap. The plastic contains chemicals that leach out when hot and humid. It also happens in temperate climates but takes much longer. Just look at something that has been in bubble wrap for a couple of years. (I used to work for an export shipping company).