Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

law - how different to that of UK

law - how different to that of UK

Old Mar 30th 2009, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

dlparry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default law - how different to that of UK

Hi, I currently work as a family law secretary/paralegal to some extent - do quite a bit of work as a paralegal but only employed as a secretary! I have a HND in law and a ILEX level 6 certificate in family law (degree level but not a recognised qualification). have worked in law area for the last 12 year or so

I am wanting to know how different the law is in respect of divorces, children issues etc is to that of the UK? Would i be totally lost with it all?
Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:03 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: law - how different to that of UK

I dont know for sure, but I guess that they would be very similar, given that the NZ legal system is strongly based on the UK one
Old Mar 30th 2009, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

You could only ask someone in the business. Your qualifications should count for something, and the slight differences should be easily picked up I would think, but it may be that you need to sit some sort of qualification to update your knowledge.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 12:02 am
Knight Templar

tomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dlparry
Hi, I currently work as a family law secretary/paralegal to some extent - do quite a bit of work as a paralegal but only employed as a secretary! I have a HND in law and a ILEX level 6 certificate in family law (degree level but not a recognised qualification). have worked in law area for the last 12 year or so

I am wanting to know how different the law is in respect of divorces, children issues etc is to that of the UK? Would i be totally lost with it all?
Depends on the basis of NZ Law.

If it's based on English Law then you should be OK in England, Wales and NI, with a bit of reading. But you might have problems in Scotland as Scots law is somewhat different.

That said, if you're a qualified legal secretary, getting a job with a legal firm should not be that difficult................provided, of course, that there are jobs available in the current climate.

Hope this helps, but remember that English Law and Scots Law are different animals, especially with regard to Family, Child and Estate Law.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 12:56 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

and Denis Law is another story..................
Old Mar 31st 2009, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

The NZ system is based on the Statute of Westminster - so it is very similar in structure (not so much in the details though!). I would suggest brushing up on your Maori before you get here!
Old Mar 31st 2009, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Seriously, you'll have to do a course in the Treaty of Waitangi, as many New Zealander's do who are involved in social and legal work, but that won't take long. You don't need to learn Maori unless you want to. To check the validity of your qualifications you'll need to contact lawyers or the NZ Law crowd. Good luck.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thing about divorce in NZ...you have to been separated for two years prior...no exceptions