Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

at last some sense in NZ public holiday debate

at last some sense in NZ public holiday debate

Old May 27th 2010, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute
Default at last some sense in NZ public holiday debate

I can't say I've ever been a keen a trade unionist, but they do seem to be speaking some common sense here:-
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post...y-compensation
It's ridiculous that you can lose 2 of the 11 public hols (Waitangi Day & ANZAc day) when they fall on a weekend.
ANZAC day was on a weekend last year, so there 10 last year. 9 this year, as both are on weekends, and 9 again next year as ANZAC day falls oon the same day as Easter Monday

Sure 11 public hols might seem high, but generally the no. of annual leave days in NZ is than most Europe.

There's ridiculous arguments that it would demean ANZAC day, of course it wouldn't, Australia didn't remember it any less because they had the following monday off.
When christmas falls on a weekend, people don't postpone a christmas meal until the following weekday public holiday!

No one's suggesting Waitangi or ANZAC day be celebrated on a different day, it's just there should be no loss of entitlement to public hols. People are working two extra unpaid days this year.

Last edited by chocolate cake; May 27th 2010 at 10:55 am. Reason: typos!
Old May 27th 2010, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: at last some sense in NZ public holiday debate

You know there are only 9 days off a year in Ontario. I can't remember about the UK as it has been a long time now. When I lived in the UK I don't remember 11 November being a national holiday. Please let me know if it is.

I see your point though, that if the day falls on a weekend and the other holidays like Christmas, when they fall on a weekend, the day off moves to a work day. If that's the case for some hoidays why not all holidays.
Old May 27th 2010, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
You know there are only 9 days off a year in Ontario. I can't remember about the UK as it has been a long time now. When I lived in the UK I don't remember 11 November being a national holiday. Please let me know if it is.

I see your point though, that if the day falls on a weekend and the other holidays like Christmas, when they fall on a weekend, the day off moves to a work day. If that's the case for some hoidays why not all holidays.
Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
They are normally 8 public hols in England & Wales (9 in 2012 if the Queen survives to her diamond jubilee year) and 9 in Scotland, but generally as I said annual leave entitlement in the UK and Europe is higher than NZ.

It's the total annual leave that's important, public hols and annual leave.

It's just ridiculous that in NZ you lose certain public hols when they fall on a weekend.
Old May 27th 2010, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
They are normally 8 public hols in England & Wales (9 in 2012 if the Queen survives to her diamond jubilee year) and 9 in Scotland, but generally as I said annual leave entitlement in the UK and Europe is higher than NZ.

It's the total annual leave that's important, public hols and annual leave.

It's just ridiculous that in NZ you lose certain public hols when they fall on a weekend.
This happens in the Netherlands as well, even with Christmas lol!!! If it falls on a weekend then tough no day off for you. AWFUL.
Old May 27th 2010, 9:51 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Just to put another view, don´t forget that with roughly 200 productive working days (after holidays, weekends, sickness etc), in the year those two days represent approx 1% of output, both for a company and for the NZ economy as a whole. That 1% of output of a company may represent 10% of its profits or more....

With a global recession still around it would be a brave Govt or employer who went with this now.
Old May 27th 2010, 9:58 pm

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

unless you are an employer then it sucks!

when you take a job on you know the annual leave you will get at the time so if you dont like it dont work there.

add to your annual leave all the 'sick' days you get and most use as 'I cant be arsed to work after a night out day' and employed peeps get a bloody good deal IMO.
Old May 28th 2010, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pestman

when you take a job on you know the annual leave you will get at the time so if you dont like it dont work there.

add to your annual leave all the 'sick' days you get and most use as 'I cant be arsed to work after a night out day' and employed peeps get a bloody good deal IMO.
??? Either it's a Public holiday or it isn't...what difference does it make whether it falls on a weekend or not?
There's no logic to it - you could however argue that there are too many public holidays in the first place - not that I subscribe to this view.
Old May 28th 2010, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I get "sick days" and I don't understand them, it's so different from a contract in the UK, enlighten me please?

Jan
Old May 28th 2010, 4:44 am

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

Yes its a public holiday and guess what you get the day off so what if it falls on a weekend thats just the way it is.

Dont see anyone moaning and saying how unfair it is when the employer has to pay a days wage when you have a cold!

guess thats the difference between the employs and the employer.
Old May 28th 2010, 4:47 am

as for sick days the way I see it is that there is a period before you are entitled to them then once you are there are so many days you get per year use them up then thats it and over to acc to pick up the bill (if you are lucky!)

Im no lawyer I pay for that stuff but generaly thats how I see it.
Old May 28th 2010, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't see the link between sick days. If people are abusing sick days, then that's a separate problem and should be dealt with. It's seems ridiculous to have a set no. of sick days in the first place.

A public holiday is either a public holiday or not, I don't see anyone arguing that the christmas or new years hols should be lost if the fall on a w/end. What's the difference?
simonsi
Just to put another view, don´t forget that with roughly 200 productive working days (after holidays, weekends, sickness etc), in the year those two days represent approx 1% of output, both for a company and for the NZ economy as a whole. That 1% of output of a company may represent 10% of its profits or more....
The 2 days represent 18% of the no. of public hols, or 6.5% of the usual annual leave entitlement. Forget 'sick days' they are not leave.

Last edited by chocolate cake; May 28th 2010 at 11:04 am.
Old May 28th 2010, 10:04 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Forgot 'sick days' they are not leave.
No, my point is that any business/economy only has so many productive days in which to earn value, adding 2 days to the lost days IS a significant extra cost to the economy, which at this time I can´t see anyone going with as wise.

Contracted sick days DO end up as leave, especially in a union environment (which tbh is only where they tend to feature in the UK), employees are then encouraged to take the sick days, whether sick or not.
Old May 28th 2010, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes its a public holiday and guess what you get the day off so what if it falls on a weekend thats just the way it is.

Dont see anyone moaning and saying how unfair it is when the employer has to pay a days wage when you have a cold!

guess thats the difference between the employs and the employer.
Sounds like you don't enjoy a day off yourself from running your business to spend quality time with your nearest and dearest. No one ever said on their deathbed that they wished they'd spent more time at the office, so for goodness sake, if a day is a public holiday it should be one every year.
Old May 28th 2010, 11:42 am

see thats where we differ chocolate cake.

In the 'Real' world we all know sick days get used as good old days off when lazy gits who have been on the piss decide to have a lay in.

Again dont see them complaining then or thinking about how the small biz is going to cover the contracts that keep them employed in the firs place.

Again this 'public holiday' thing makes me laugh.

What you are talking about is twice in seven years the holiday will fall on a weekend not bad then for the other 5 years when they dont!

If I had my way then If it fell on a weekend the tough but heck wouldnt want you to work to hard now!
Old May 28th 2010, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Sounds like you don't enjoy a day off yourself from running your business to spend quality time with your nearest and dearest. No one ever said on their deathbed that they wished they'd spent more time at the office, so for goodness sake, if a day is a public holiday it should be one every year.
Again why?

It is a public holiday but it falls on a weekend so you are off anyway and so where is the loss of a day off.

I enjoy my days off when and if I get them very much,trouble is its the 'poor old me' brigade that turn up to work ,get told where to go,what to do have lunch and tea then go home totaly unaware of the effort,time and hard work that goes into keeping them employed full time.

lets make another 4,5 6.... public holidays then see how quickly the small companies decide to give up.

there is a cost to all this 'time off' you want.

Of course if its a holiday on a working day of the week all should get it and rightly so but please give me a break your off anyway so enjoy the day and stop bleating on about missing out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.