Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

at last some sense in NZ public holiday debate

at last some sense in NZ public holiday debate

Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: at last some sense in NZ public holiday debate

Well I'm a wage slave, public servant and union member and I thin it's not a big deal about the holiday.
There is a generous bunch of holidays any way and for the most part we do well.

When we do lose them, they are so close to other one's for many of us any way. For Auckland and Northland, Southland, Wellington, Wairarapa, Wanganui and Nelson Waitangi Day falls pretty close to theor anniversary days any way, and Anzac is pretty close to Easter a lot of the time so it's not like we haven't had a break for a while

I say get over it

Next year will be interesting when Anzac falls on Easter Monday. The retailers will be lobbying like hell as not only will they not be able to trade on Good friday and Easter Sunday, but half of the Monday too
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:27 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, this does seem to be turning into an employers vs. employees thread.
Excellent post Whingingpom!

Why the antagonism? Yes some employees don’t do their job and try and swing the lead as much as possible and some employers treat their workforce like crap, good and bad on both sides. I’ve [mainly] had excellent employers who I would definitely work for again and that has been reciprocated in that they would have me back if I ever needed a job and they were on the lookout for someone. In fact one employer was hoping I was ringing up asking for my old job back when I phoned him for a reference for my ITA

There is always going to be a difference in the attitude of employees towards their job and employer depending on what the job is, whether it is a career or ’just’ a job. I have an independent body regulating me and my employer which has the power to strike either of us off if we transgress too far from what is expected, this also includes your private life. Neither side wants to lose their job! Having said that, fear is not what motivates me to work to the best of my abilities. I have pride in how well I do my job and also in how my confidence has developed with increasing experience over the years [not that many years!!!] Even if I am not getting on well with the boss this would never affect how well I performed at work, it‘s not the clients fault after all. As an employee I do the work that needs doing which may mean I am lucky enough to finish early or it may mean working an extra 2 or more hours [overtime pay is not normal practice in my job either]- my job is unpredictable. On the flip side I do expect a level of respect and professional courtesy from my employer

Would I ever want to be an employer? Tricky one. The usual way in my profession is to be employed and then buy into the partnership when someone retires or the business expands, mainly because start up costs are enormous. The other way is to take over an established business that is being sold off. If I ever do it, it won’t be for a few years yet! Also I’d have to grow up and start being responsible…

Anyway back on topic, losing those two days is a little annoying but doesn’t bother me too much, most years we get the extra time off anyway as it falls during the week.
Out of interest, how many people on here actually go to an ANZAC day service anyway??
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I've been an employer.
I've been an employee.

I'm going bed now.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, how many people on here actually go to an ANZAC day service anyway??[/QUOTE]

ooohhhh....me! Me!
Excitedly putting her hand up
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:38 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I've been an employer.
I've been an employee.

I'm going bed now.
Nighty night BEVS

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Out of interest, how many people on here actually go to an ANZAC day service anyway??
ooohhhh....me! Me!
Excitedly putting her hand up

Me too, I went to the dawn service last year though didn't quite make it this year. Got up in time for the 10.30 one instead.
Beat this! My first ever ANZAC day service was at Gallipoli
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Persephone
Nighty night BEVS

Me too, I went to the dawn service last year though didn't quite make it this year. Got up in time for the 10.30 one instead.
Beat this! My first ever ANZAC day service was at Gallipoli
that is impressive
I started going after I had been here a few years
Now I have to go as I am mum to a brownie
(not a darkie, like Andy Haden would say LOL)
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:47 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

I've been an employer.
I've been an employee.

I'm going bed now.

There's that old cliche that to understand someone's point of view fully you need to walk a mile in their shoes...

...and the one that says before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes, then you will have their shoes and be a mile away from them!

Anyone is welcome to my old shoes, I'm getting new ones

Don't people go barefoot in kiwiland though?

WP
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:57 am
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by pricklykina
that is impressive
I started going after I had been here a few years
Now I have to go as I am mum to a brownie
(not a darkie, like Andy Haden would say LOL)
Yes he really should have engaged brain before opening mouth
Do they have more interesting sixes over here? I was always disappointed that I had to be a daffodil Being a bit of a tomboy I really wanted them to be named after cars or dangerous animals

Originally Posted by WhingingPom

There's that old cliche that to understand someone's point of view fully you need to walk a mile in their shoes...

...and the one that says before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes, then you will have their shoes and be a mile away from them!

Anyone is welcome to my old shoes, I'm getting new ones

WP
Yeah, don't bother with the new shoes, bare feet are just fine!
Old Jun 1st 2010, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

mudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud of

I've been an employer.
I've been an employee.

I'm going bed now.
Pure brilliance !
Old Jun 1st 2010, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

ibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WhingingPom

WP
Just be careful to clean all the dirt off otherwise MAF may fumigate you.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 7:15 pm

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

I've been an employer.
I've been an employee.

I'm going bed now.
Funny place this at times.

Way I see this post is just another good one with a various view points and several posters having a typical pub type chat about each others various experiences . Fair enough maybe we should split it off to the sheep dip but just because it bores you dosnt mean its not a varied and valid chat.

end of the day this isnt a post about who goes where but one regarding another day off.That in turn will effect employees in a different way than it will employers so both view points are valid hence the chat.

or we could all just agree on everything posted and go to bed.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Persephone
We do. We've both family and friends that have served in the forces. It's our way to thank them and pay our respects.
The village has an excellent turn out for the service.

Originally Posted by persephone
I was always disappointed that I had to be a daffodil
I can't quite see the queen of the underworld as a daffodil.

.....and several posters having a typical pub type chat ....... . Fair enough maybe we should split it off to the sheep dip but just because it bores you.....
Bored. I was not.
I arrived.
I contributed.
I left.
I did not see the No Levity sign.

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 2nd 2010 at 1:54 am. Reason: quotes
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 1:03 am
Queen of the Underworld

We do. We've both family and friends that have served in the forces. It's our way to thank them and pay our respects.
The village has an excellent turn out for the service.
Exactly!
Ican't quite see the queen of the underworld as a daffodil.__________________
Just realised I was daffodil when I was a girl guide, not a brownie.
I was actually an Imp when I was a Brownie which I always thought was a little more suitable
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 10:01 pm

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

Bored. I was not.
I arrived.
I contributed.
I left.
I did not see the No Levity sign.

well done
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 6:37 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Would be a great epitaph to a WW2 veteran.

Venice
VD
VC