Last minute Qs

Old Sep 23rd 2007, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Professional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to all
Default Last minute Qs

I'm arriving in Auckland on Wednesday - currently in Hong Kong to split the flight up. As always I've left things to the last minute , and had a few Qs people may be able to answer:

I havent set up a bank account in NZ yet - and Im now 'homeless', can I open a bank account with a backpacker address?

Do banks make a charge for having money wired into them from the UK?

My plan is to buy a motorhome/campervan and travel for a couple of months to explore the country a bit more - I've checked on trademe, are there any Motorhome specific magazines with classifieds?

Do I need to get a Social Security number (or equivalent) asap - and if so from where?

Should I buy a camera in Hong Kong - or from Auckland airport duty free?

How's the Spring weather shaping up there?

cheers
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 4:02 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Last minute Qs

Originally Posted by Professional_Gypsy
I havent set up a bank account in NZ yet - and Im now 'homeless', can I open a bank account with a backpacker address?
You should do, no worries. I was able to under the same circumstances.

Do banks make a charge for having money wired into them from the UK?
I don't think so. Ask the bank you are going to open an account with. My gut feeling is that there'd be no fee, or a miniscule one at worst. Don't worry, the banks have plenty of other annoying little monthly fees to get their slice.

My plan is to buy a motorhome/campervan and travel for a couple of months to explore the country a bit more - I've checked on trademe, are there any Motorhome specific magazines with classifieds?
Yes, look for them on any news-stand.

Do I need to get a Social Security number (or equivalent) asap - and if so from where?
Yes, you should get an Inland Revenue Department (IRD) card. You really need one. You can call 0800 227 774 inside New Zealand or +64 4 978 0779 outside the country. Alternatively you can look online at www.ird.govt.nz

Should I buy a camera in Hong Kong - or from Auckland airport duty free?
Up to you. My experience is that electronics are usually a bit dearer her in New Zealand.

How's the Spring weather shaping up there?

cheers
It's cool and wet today here in Canterbury, but it's definitely spring. The weather should be starting to fine up nicely by Wednesday with temps in the mid-teens up in Auckland. Good timing on your part.

Welcome to New Zealand and good luck with your travels.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 7:28 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

What he said
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. Do the Cable car in Hong Kong-well superb.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 9:37 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a "travellers car market" just off Aucklands CBD (Central Business District) every Saturday or Sunday. Where backpackers sell their cars/campers after their NZ adventure.

I will say.....Buyer Beware! But you could get a yourself a bargain, as travellers are often on a timescale to sell and get on their way and you should be able to bargain them down.

Did a similar thing in Australia and ended up with a good car for $800 which took us 13,000KM with only a flat tyre to worry about.

Also try http://www.backpack-car.com/

Old Sep 24th 2007, 1:31 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
There is a "travellers car market" just off Aucklands CBD (Central Business District) every Saturday or Sunday. Where backpackers sell their cars/campers after their NZ adventure.

I will say.....Buyer Beware! But you could get a yourself a bargain, as travellers are often on a timescale to sell and get on their way and you should be able to bargain them down.

Did a similar thing in Australia and ended up with a good car for $800 which took us 13,000KM with only a flat tyre to worry about.

Also try http://www.backpack-car.com/

You changed your avatar
Old Sep 24th 2007, 2:07 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
You changed your avatar
Grabbed it off a Album cover "Astronomy for dogs", it's right cool!
Old Sep 24th 2007, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

Professional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by danny.f
Indeed. Do the Cable car in Hong Kong-well superb.
which one? theres 1 near the airport, and 1 near aberdeen. Im guessing the 1 at the airport..Ill check it out this afternoon
Old Sep 24th 2007, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

which one? theres 1 near the airport, and 1 near aberdeen. Im guessing the 1 at the airport..Ill check it out this afternoon
Sorry,it was the one at the theme park-the taxi driver'll know!
Old Sep 24th 2007, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Ahh well. I went to the one near the airport today - and the damn thing is closed for repairs! :curse:
May try the theme park one tomorrow If I manage to get up super early (Im flying to NZ at 6pm) - but its a long shot, as my body clock seems to have reverted to UK time when I woke at 1pm today!