British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Last minute nerves about moving to New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/last-minute-nerves-about-moving-new-zealand-695656/)

nickandfiona Dec 3rd 2010 8:58 am

Last minute nerves about moving to New Zealand

Hi,
Myself and my wife are hoping to make the move. We had all but decided on Queensland, (Gold Coast) but are now being swayed toward New Zealand. I have never visited the place, but have felt drawn to it since my late teens, (I'm now 38) whereas my wife lived and worked in Auckland for 2 years some time ago.
She said she would not want to go back as you can feel very isolated there, and because everywhere looked the same. She's aware now that a lot has changed and the population has increased somewhat.

Anyway, the weather and mostly the activities on offer for our kids, aged 5 and 3 1/2 now, were tempting us toward Aus. We both love the beaches, I'm a surfer and my little girl is going to rip when she's older! So that sold the Goldy to us.

But as it's getting to the time for applying she is thinking because she is already a registered nurse in NZ, it makes more sense for us to go there.
She's also massively put off by the thought of me and the kids in the sea where there could be sharks, and also the thought of snakes and spiders in the home.

So....

The biggest concern NZ wise, is the after school clubs and so on for kids. Has anyone got any advice, or experience? We're hoping to move to Tauranga if it's NZ, as it will get us nearer the beaches.

Thanks, and hello!

Sue Dec 3rd 2010 12:23 pm

Re: Last minute nerves about moving to New Zealand

Hi,

I am not in New Zealand (I'm in the US) but I wanted to pop by and say hi and welcome you to our little cyber community. I'm sure you will make lots of friends here.

If you ever have any site usability questions please do not hesitate to let myself, the Moderators, or the Concierges know and we will be happy to help. You can also post your questions/suggestions/feedback anytime in our Site Feedback forum.

Sue

RobDon Dec 3rd 2010 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by nickandfiona (Post 9018662)
Hi,
Myself and my wife are hoping to make the move. We had all but decided on Queensland, (Gold Coast) but are now being swayed toward New Zealand. I have never visited the place, but have felt drawn to it since my late teens, (I'm now 38) whereas my wife lived and worked in Auckland for 2 years some time ago.
She said she would not want to go back as you can feel very isolated there, and because everywhere looked the same. She's aware now that a lot has changed and the population has increased somewhat.

Anyway, the weather and mostly the activities on offer for our kids, aged 5 and 3 1/2 now, were tempting us toward Aus. We both love the beaches, I'm a surfer and my little girl is going to rip when she's older! So that sold the Goldy to us.

But as it's getting to the time for applying she is thinking because she is already a registered nurse in NZ, it makes more sense for us to go there.
She's also massively put off by the thought of me and the kids in the sea where there could be sharks, and also the thought of snakes and spiders in the home.

So....

The biggest concern NZ wise, is the after school clubs and so on for kids. Has anyone got any advice, or experience? We're hoping to move to Tauranga if it's NZ, as it will get us nearer the beaches.

Thanks, and hello!

Cant help with Tauranga sorry, as you can see we are in Rotorua, but Hello & Welcome! ;)

bunnyphobia Dec 5th 2010 1:56 am

Hi,

Can't help with the majority of your question but, as our surfing instructor told me on Saturday at Raglan, where-ever there are surfers, there are sharks. We were on the West coast (cracking surf, so I'm told. I'm not yet of the ability to appreciate such things), but the same holds for Maunganui/Tauranga.

NZ is beautiful, and I haven't felt isolated since I got here.

All the best with your decision!

littleal Dec 7th 2010 3:29 am

Again I can't comment on Tauranga, and you might need to post this to the main forum. However our primary school in Hamilton has a very good after school club, and you don't have to plan months in advance - you can just book on the day.

However intermediate schools, age 11-13, don't routinely have after school care, but you are not allowed to leave children unsupervised until they are 14. We have managed by employing students (trainee teachers from the Uni) to look after our kids after school.

Childcare is cheaper than it is in the UK.

Good luck with your decisions.

Alison

Am Loolah Dec 7th 2010 3:57 pm

Hello and a very warm welcome to BE.:thumbsup:

There are plenty of after school care and kindys here and it is quite normal for primary schools to also hold homework/breakfast clubs too.

Tauranga is lovely and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else for now. But, we get sharks too!:blink: They think there's a great white lurking nearby ... But there's not been any attacks for years. In all honesty, the whole sharks, spiders, etc thing I ignore based on life is for living and enjoying and you only get one shot at it.:)