Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

last minute advice

last minute advice

Old Mar 25th 2006, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Alex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really nice
Default last minute advice

We are flying out on April10th, and wondered if anyone could pass on any advice on last minute essentials, or anything you think would be helpful to do/purchase in our last weeks.Thanks all
Old Mar 25th 2006, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: last minute advice

Originally Posted by Alex
We are flying out on April10th, and wondered if anyone could pass on any advice on last minute essentials, or anything you think would be helpful to do/purchase in our last weeks.Thanks all
Travel Plugs!!!!

Hi, can't give you any advice but can wish you all the best.
Good luck and I hope New Zealand turns out be everything you want.

I'll be watching this thread as we hopefully won't be long after you.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

Germoline, orange club buscuits, cheap cds, ladybird kids clothes, tapes of never mind the buzzcocks, walkers crisps, ice cream mars bars (I know, I'll shut up now)
Old Mar 25th 2006, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to wish you good luck, we fly out on 7th April. I could also use some advice for anything we've forgotten. Where are you heading?
Old Mar 25th 2006, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Alex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really nice

Originally Posted by poppets
Just wanted to wish you good luck, we fly out on 7th April. I could also use some advice for anything we've forgotten. Where are you heading?
We are going to be in or around Whangarei, hubby has a job in the oil refinery.We are stopping in LA for a fortnight...so you could still be there before us!! I am a bit concerned 'cos people keep mentioning how cold it is indoors...I don't do cold!! so I have been buying blankets and fleeces (anyone would think we were moving to the antarctic)What kind of things are you stocking up on?
Good luck to you too!!
Old Mar 25th 2006, 11:01 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

When you get to NZ: Buy a Moro bar (you'll wonder why you ever put up with Mars bars!) and a can/bottle of L&P (Lemon and Paeroa). Also see if you can suss out a jar of Whitlocks Chow Chow (chill before using/keep in fridge).

As it's been a while since I was in the UK or NZ I can't suggest what you should take with you, but wish you well on your journey and future life.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

We are going to be in or around Whangarei, hubby has a job in the oil refinery.We are stopping in LA for a fortnight...so you could still be there before us!! I am a bit concerned 'cos people keep mentioning how cold it is indoors...I don't do cold!! so I have been buying blankets and fleeces (anyone would think we were moving to the antarctic)What kind of things are you stocking up on?
Good luck to you too!!
I'm the same, I don't do cold either, we've got a huge pile of blankets. I saw a fleece in the sale today & convinced myself i had enough & was being silly, but i think i'll go back & get it tomorrow.Also got bed socks!!! And i'm trying to get the kids duvets in our suitcases!!Stocked up on bathroom essentals (not sure why really, got loads of buy 1 get 1 free,cosmetic stuff also stocked up on tampax , apparently expensive in NZ, at least the don't take up too much space
we have a stopover in singapore for 1 night then on to Auckland, arriving on the 10th. (even the cat arrives before us ,9th, she too is via LA!)
hope it goes well, enjoy LA
Old Mar 25th 2006, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck to you too!!
The day time is lovely and warm, but when the sun goes down the majority of homes are poorly insulated with single glazing so don't retain any heat. A wood burner and a variety of electric heaters are generally used to keep warm. Because of the poor insulation it's very easy to run up a huge fuel bill therefore a balaclava and black tanktop (or wifebeater as they are known) are the most common bedware to NZ residents. If you're old enough to remember 1960s working class Briton (if not catch Kes or anything with Ivy Tilsley in before Coro on tv) thats where you're going......only joking!
Old Mar 25th 2006, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by poppets
I'm the same, I don't do cold either, we've got a huge pile of blankets. I saw a fleece in the sale today & convinced myself i had enough & was being silly, but i think i'll go back & get it tomorrow.Also got bed socks!!! And i'm trying to get the kids duvets in our suitcases!!Stocked up on bathroom essentals (not sure why really, got loads of buy 1 get 1 free,cosmetic stuff also stocked up on tampax , apparently expensive in NZ, at least the don't take up too much space
we have a stopover in singapore for 1 night then on to Auckland, arriving on the 10th. (even the cat arrives before us ,9th, she too is via LA!)
hope it goes well, enjoy LA
Well, I didn't know about expensive tampax......I will look like the woman in the "always towells "advert tomorrow in tesco!! ( I dread customs)
I too have bought blankets galore from TKMAX
can anyone tell me if there are head lice in N.Z ??? or shall we just bring a few on the plane with us !!!
Old Mar 25th 2006, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Just realised this looks like we are infested with head lice....but it is a real problem in the schools here at the moment. Our girls are lice free though (just in case you are sat next to us on the plane)
Old Mar 26th 2006, 12:20 am
Just Joined

Dave&Izzy is on a distinguished road

Good luck to you too!!
Hi,

just wanted to wish you all the best- we've been here (Mount Maunganui) about 6 months now and are nearly settling in!
Just quickly, if you haven't already, send your front loading washer/dryer over as they are ridiculously expensive over here! Also, if you use washing tablets, you might want to bring a small supply as you can't seem to get them over here either!
Hope your husband settles into his new job well. Please stay in touch as our firm has a great new product which should be of interest to his new company!
Stay in touch & we hope all goes well.

Isabel & David
Old Mar 26th 2006, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I didn't know about expensive tampax......I will look like the woman in the "always towells "advert tomorrow in tesco!! ( I dread customs)
I too have bought blankets galore from TKMAX
can anyone tell me if there are head lice in N.Z ??? or shall we just bring a few on the plane with us !!!
Gross!! LOL

One of the best things we did was taped hours and hours of CBEEBIES for our littlun. Hes loves watching it.... although watching the same episode of the Tweenies is driving me insane at the moment....argghhhh!! We also bought a portable booster seat from Tescos for him and its been excellent..... and great whilst we were waiting for the container to arrive.

One of the good ideas that was given to me on here was to have a "magic bag" for the flight for our toddler. I bought some favourite lollies and sweets... small books and crayons etc and some new small toys. It was great and worked wonders on the flight... thanks whoever it was!!

Good luck to all of you coming next month!! Hopefully we wont have a tropical cyclone like the remnants of TC Wati who we have visiting us at the moment....
Old Mar 26th 2006, 4:11 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
Gross!! LOL

One of the best things we did was taped hours and hours of CBEEBIES for our littlun.

LOL ... Same, our youngest still watches the tapes two years on!

This thread is so good and the thought of bringing the head lice on the plane had me rolling around laughing

You all sound like you are going to do great, with your strong funny attitudes. Im off to give you all karma if it will let me
Old Mar 26th 2006, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
LOL ... Same, our youngest still watches the tapes two years on!

This thread is so good and the thought of bringing the head lice on the plane had me rolling around laughing

You all sound like you are going to do great, with your strong funny attitudes. Im off to give you all karma if it will let me
Oh no....Ive got another 2 years of CBEEBIES to watch!!! I dont mind really but he just watches the same Tweenies program over and over again. Hes just started to talk and if I dare switch it off he now says "Tweenies" and "Beebies" until I give in and put it back on again!
Old Mar 26th 2006, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

OK, fortunately I've taped loads of Beebies & Milkshake on Five, got loads of DVD's free from newspapers (fireman sam, bob etc)& the laptop to watch them on, got loads of little toys & food stashed for flight & even bringing our front loader washer/dryer in the container. so i think I'm pretty much sorted.
See you soon !!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.