Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Landscape Gardening

Landscape Gardening

Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

blackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to all
Default Landscape Gardening

Hi,

Can anyone tell my if landscape gardening or just general gardeners are used in NZ. Are there lots of companies in the business? What would be the chances of employment for someone with experience and qualifications?
Oh yeh thinking of Auckland, Wellington or possibly Pamlerston North.

Any suggestions welcome.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

kiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nicekiwichicks is just really nice
Default Re: Landscape Gardening

Hi
Well if you come our way to Wellington in desperate need of Landscaper
I am not sure what the job market is like but any time I have asked the locals of a name they are always flat out with work. Garden are New Zealands pride so hope you here something soon
By the way gather you are from Blackburn?

D
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, there are landscape gardeners here in Canterbury. There are general landscapers who know their plants and will do your lawn and garden and then moving up from there. There are companies that do the whole thing, hard surfaces, planting everything which is more what I believe you may be talking about. I can't say what the market is like. However, it is my opinion that the best market to be in is the one that serves the very well off. These people don't notice the recession, have an image to maintain and always spend. So, go for the high end market.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

In the last few years the number of professional landscaping businesses has quadrupled. I think the last 6 years has been a boom time for them. I have certainly noticed a marked increase in the number of leaflets being popped into our letter box , with people wanting general gardening work. I honestly think the market will continue to tighten , especially as the number of new builds continue to decline and because there are just so many professional landscapers out there. Happy to be wrong - but thats my gut feeling.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

blackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to all

Thanks for the responses, we were actually thinking of coming out there to gain employment from other companies rather set up on our own.

Does anyone have any advise from that prospectus.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. Would you be relying on garden work for all your financial needs ?( the pay rates for gardeners being rather low. ) Unemployment in NZ is on the increase and as mentioned before, we have flyers quite regularly from people wanting to cut lawns, prune trees etc. I believe that some landscape garden firms will fold, which will mean more people looking for this type of employment. I read recently that there has been an increase in lawn mower and general garden equipment sales, as more people start maintaining their own gardens. However if you have loads of grit and determination plus have good financial reserves , you might be ok.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

fpower is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there - there are always jobs offered to arbourists with/without qualifications - just go on to TradeMe Jobs and stick in "Agriculture- forestry-fishing-other" as a category and they will e-mail you with the new jobs as they are posted. Good luck !
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks

It gives more to think about to make a decision.
Will have to decided soon as this place is driving me crazy
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya D

We could do with a landscape gardener if you're heading to Auckland They always seem to be busy/booked up here too!

Good luck with your plans

Michelle x
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of house cleaning/gardening here seems to be franchised such as this:
http://www.greenacres.co.nz/DesktopD...spx?pageid=141
Old Feb 6th 2009, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

"With a climate similar to the UK, " despite what the home page says NZ climate is quite different. In Auckland gardening is a pleasure as things grow very readily - not overly cold in winter and plenty of rain. In fact it is called the weed capital of the world because so many plants from different climates grow here. Lots of landscapers used here - might be an idea to swot up on NZ plants before you come just so you can name drop at interviews - In the north many gardens have lots of native plants (need little maintenance) and in the last few years sub-tropicals have been very popular - in the south gardens are more like British gardens I would think.
http://www.oratianatives.co.nz/
http://www.garden-nz.co.nz/
http://www.landscapegardeningplants.co.nz/
Good luck