Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Landlord gas safety?

Landlord gas safety?

Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:56 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Landlord gas safety?

Is there an onus on landlords to have safety inspections done on gas stuff? We have a vulcan water heater, gas hob, and a Rinnai unflued gas heater (not planning onusing latter due to condensation) - i would just feel happier if it had been checked as I know the ll lived here 2 yrs before us and did nothing - the heater filters are dusty, etc. the vulcan looks worryingly old.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 7:26 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landlord gas safety?

When we rented out our house I asked about this and was told that there wasn't any regulations on testing gas appliances.
We did get ours tested anyway and it got tested again recently when the tenants could smell gas. We thought it was due to a nearly empty cylinder as that always happened to us but just in case we got someone in to check. We didn't want to risk killing our tenants since they've been good ones

Have you spoken to your landlord/agency? Maybe try saying that it doesn't seem as efficient or something similar to force the issue? I'm not suggesting lying but as a landlord, I'd rather the tenants flagged something they were concerned about rather than said nothing. I do realise other landlords might not be as ethical! And as long as they're not taking the piss!
After all, it is my/our investment and we want it to be safe as well.